Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby ATM Machine in Lobby?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ATM Machine in Lobby?

ATM Machine in Lobby? 19 Feb 2012 22:13 #37885

Thinking about no longer accepting credit cards at the box office, and installing an ATM machine in the lobby. Six years ago the percentage of total sales from credit cards was about 20%. Currently, that percentage is almost 40%, and the transaction fees have become a significant expense.

Do you think there will be significant back-lash from our customers, or will they eventually adjust? Also, I'd like to continue accepting credit cards for internet/advance ticketing. A side benefit to this would be to drive more people to our website and buy advance tickets more often. A negative side affect could be that people with credit but no cash simply can't go to the movies.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the theater is in a non-competitive area with the closest competition 2.5 hours away.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 19 Feb 2012 22:57 #37886

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Accepting credit cards is a cost of doing business and expected by many. I know it is by me. We do 45% of our receipts with credit cards. Why would I want to inconvenience my customers to such a degree. Especially since an ATM machine in your lobby will probably add a surcharge.

Plus studies have shown that people will spend more when they have the option of paying by a credit card. So it will probably cost you more in lost sales than savings in credit card fees.

The number of businesses in my area that do not accept credit cards are such a small number. They usually have some built in clientele that has no choice to use them. Even with your closest competition 2.5 hours away, I do not believe you are in that class.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 22 Feb 2012 19:16 #37901

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I agree with RufusJack on this.

We are in the same percentage category. To force ATM machines on our customers would require installing more than several. Transaction time would also be extended. Being a drive-in, I need to get people through the boxoffice and snack bar lines as quickly as possible. Anything that would slow that down or reduce patron turnover in the building would, by itself, reduce business.

RufusJack also makes valid points regarding convenience and the customers' tendency to make larger purchases with plastic. Put cash back in their hands and that viewpoint might change.

Transaction fees and percentages are as much a part of doing business as any other part of your overhead. Most of us who take plastic have allowed for the costs. Figure that into your prices, like you do everything else, and don't worry about it.
Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012 19:17 by rodeojack.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 22 Feb 2012 20:41 #37907

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree with all of the above posters. Taking credit cards is now pretty much a necessity especially if you have been doing it up until now. However, you may want to try renegotiating fees with your credit card company. If you are a captive RTS customer you may feel that you have no choice but you do still have a choice as we found out. We watched our per transaction fee go from .17 to .22 to .30 over a couple of years. I tried to renegotiate at .22 but was squashed and told tough luck. So when they raised it to .30 I investigated other companies. Bought a smart phone and tried Square.com processing. They are the best deal around 2.75% per transaction with no other fees and they deposit directly to your bank account just as your current company does. The only difference is that you get the net deposit into your account daily instead of the dreaded monthly statement with the gigantic debit to your account. I have ended up using the Square account for backup when my DSL flips out as I was able to renegotiate my rate down to .15 with my old company after they found out that I was pulling all my business from them. The only reason I did that is that I prefer to have my RTS daily reports report all of my credit card transactions with my financials for the day. But I still think that Square is the best deal around and continue to use it occasionally. See if my experience can help you out in any way before you consider dropping the cards completely. As others have said, you must include the cost of taking cards in your pricing and try not to hyperventilate when the monthly card processing statement comes in.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 24 Feb 2012 17:15 #37918

Thanks for the input, everyone. I agree with what everyone stated - not accepting credit cards would be disastrous. I was curious if anyone has tried it or could justify it.

BECKWITH1 - good idea about re-negotiating fees. We use RTS and have always felt trapped into using Mercury Pay. I contacted RTS yesterday and there is another provider that integrates with their software. Apparently, they are offering competitive fees, and at a minimum, Mercury is suddenly will to re-negotiate. Alternatively, Square or GoPayment from Intuit sound like intriguing options.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 25 Feb 2012 02:19 #37922

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Do it as long as you have no competition. Explain it is instead of a ticket price increase!

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 25 Feb 2012 02:21 #37923

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
You must have an ATM in the lobby --- don't put a big fee on using !

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 22 Mar 2012 11:44 #38143

• suarezluiz
@popcorn pusher
U can install ATM machine in the lobby as well as keep the credit card processing machine. N if u are thinking installing atm machine try to get a good deal from the atm providers. there are quite a few in market which give service like fairshare, national cash etc
I have gone through sites of both n found this one www.nationalcash.com/ interesting.

Also heard tht if u buy an atm machine, u get paid based on per transcation.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 22 Mar 2012 14:04 #38145

For those who are using RTS with Mercury, I highly recommend contacting Amy Dunaway from Fifth Third Processing Solutions/Vantiv. Her number is 513.598.3450.

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 26 Mar 2012 22:26 #38180

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I am an enthusiastic user of RTS, and it appears I was the 7th account to sign up with Mercury Pay. I don't sweat the charges, because I approach them from the other end. I make what I want on my products, and things like credit card fees are added on (averaged overall).

3 or 4 years ago, I noticed that RTS was working with other companies. However, the charges notwithstanding, I've been very happy with Mercury Pay's service. I gave them a call and basically just asked if they were giving me the best rate they could. I ended the call, happy, and with a lower rate.

The forces driving credit handling seem to change. like anything else, but they certainly won't go down if you don't ask. Ever see how fast your personal credit card terms can change when you call and say you're going to cancel?

Re: ATM Machine in Lobby? 10 May 2012 13:28 #38432

• peterjhon
I think accepting credit card is a good option. If you installed an ATM machine, there would be a huge problem for online ticketing and many customers will dislike it. Now a day many people want to book their ticket online rather than standing in queue.
Last Edit: 10 May 2012 13:30 by peterjhon. Reason: mistake in text
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction