Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby What's The Current Vibe on 3D?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's The Current Vibe on 3D?

What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 17 Feb 2012 21:44 #37871

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The "So Much for the End of the Movie Biz" thread has me thinking about this.

In the wake of the good box office news for the pre-Valentine's weekend, what are y'all thinking about 3D these days? Are things like "Star Wars" or "Journey 2" giving you a better feeling about it, worse feeling...or no feeling at all. Any minds being changed one way or the other?

I've always thought 3D would kind of settle in and find its place...but that 3D itself couldn't save a movie with limited appeal. Oversaturation was inevitable, and there will always be customers who just don't want to pay the upcharge, so I can see why some operators were quick to write it off.

But what's the vibe these days? Any thoughts? And if you've changed your tune on this, don't be afraid! It's called "adapting," and it's one of the keys to doing well in any biz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 17 Feb 2012 22:13 #37872

3D is not dead, however I don't think it is on the rise. Journey 2 was made specifically for 3D and has very good 3D effects, yet at my theater where we ran both 2D and 3D versions of the film, the overall 2D gross was still more than the 3D grosses, even though there were more 3D shows than 2D. If Hollywood continues to only push movies which are made specifically for 3D, like Journey 2, and exhibitors lower their up-charges for 3D, then I can see that 3D could eventually upswing again. If not, it can only flat line where it is now at best.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 17 Feb 2012 23:03 #37874

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
About Entertainment: Do you charge an upcharge?

If we are still in this business in 9 mos we will go with Dolby 3d. That will allow us to not charge an upcharge. The couple of places that have run a couple of movies without charging an upcharge, have had more 3d than 2d. I believe the upcharge is a significant factor.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 17 Feb 2012 23:52 #37875

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
3D is not dead yet but is on a steady decline and in my opinion will stay that way. Very few new theaters that are converting to digital are adding 3d. The major pics like Spiderman will do well as they would have without 3d.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 18 Feb 2012 19:42 #37881

Rufusjack,

I agree with you about the upcharge, however most theaters that offer 3D also tack on that extra cost so it will take the industry as a whole to either eliminate that charge or at least significantly lower it in order for 3D to prosper. I am currently running a theater for a company which does charge an upcharge, like most exhibition companies out there, however when I do own a theater of my own I am looking at either eliminating that charge or at least lowering it down to no more than $1. Unfortunately since most 3D screens are operated by the big chains, charging $2.50-$4 extra per ticket, the few screens operated by those of us who know that the upcharge is a big factor for the deterioration of 3D, will not make a big enough dent to save it. The industry has to move in that direction all together, along with lowering the number of 3D films to only those which are made for 3D, in order to turn the 3D ship around (no pun on Titanic 3D). I do believe it will eventually happen, as the big companies will have to keep 3D going in order to pay for the expense of adding 3D to all of those screens to begin with, but it might be too little, too late by the time they understand what needs to be done.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 18 Feb 2012 21:40 #37882

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
About Entertainment:

I do not see an industry wide lowering of 3d up charges because most ofthe chains are using Real3d. Unless they can convince Real3d to take less. The bg 3 might be able to.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 18 Feb 2012 22:29 #37883

If not, 3D will not last. The point of going to the movies is affordability to all other entertainment options. Adding $4 to each ticket makes going to see those movies less affordable. I do still think that it will eventually happen though. All new technology lowers in price once the "new" wears off. 3D will too. It starts with the small operators but will build up to the larger chains once they realize their market share is being affected by it. I believe that a couple of the larger chains have already realized this. Rave Motion Pictures is a larger chain than the one I work for and they only charge $1.50 more per ticket while the other chains, the one I work for and the larger chains in our market are all charging $2.50-$4. Rave is not a cheap place to go for movies, yet they have realized that you have to cut the extra cost for 3D in order to get more attendance. They realize that there is no point in charging a lot more per ticket when your attendance levels go down so much that you are losing money on those prints, and would be making more profit off of the movie in 2D, making those expensive upgrades a waste. More butts in the seats is always good. Even if you don't make as much per ticket, you still get more people at the concession stand. Rave realized this... and so will the others. The question is, will it be too late by the time they do?

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 20 Feb 2012 19:09 #37891

• RickAlan
  • Junior Boarder
I have four RealD setups out of six Christie projectors. I went with RealD so I could afford to have four of them and if 3D dies, I'm not out anything. Because I have RealD, I have a $1.50 upcharge. By the time I pay film rental, sales tax, and RealD, there isn't much left.

I do not offer both 3D and 2D. I am playing Journey 2, Star Wars, and Ghost Rider strictly in 3D.

With an upcharge of $1.50, we have had one or two "complaints" in 14 months.

We have definitely noticed an increase in business if we're the only theater in the area playing a movie in 3D. Not a guess, but Rentrak verified numbers. Our youth pricing is $6.25/2D and $7.75/3D.

Re: What's The Current Vibe on 3D? 20 Feb 2012 19:17 #37892

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Rick,

Have you ever ran both 2d & 3d at the same time?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction