Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: internet hook up required

internet hook up required 09 Feb 2012 17:26 #37824

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We're on our way to digital cinema and need our internet hook up. What do you prefer? We have many choices from DSL to Cable TV modem (which I like because then we'd get the cable stuff too, and a few other options. We're in a pretty well wired location. What do you like? And yes: I know we need the static ISP.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: internet hook up required 10 Feb 2012 23:10 #37836

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think you've answered your question pretty well, Mike. DSL and cable are pretty much interchangeable in this regard, especially since speed isn't an issue. If you get to the point where actual content might be delivered, then a really good cable or fiber feed would probably be best.

Static IPs have become much easier to get. I think I'm paying $5 to $12 per month on the accounts I have statics on, and that depends on how many ips you decide you need. However, if you have any problems getting statics, you can always use DNS services like No-IP.com or dyndns.org. You can program the DYN service directly into many routers. NO-IP has a small program that runs on any computer on your network and reports the current IP address.

... and hey... once you're wired, you can add internet-based credit card processing to your business... very fast! :-)

Re: internet hook up required 12 Feb 2012 21:31 #37838

• Ptwin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I prefer a cable modem its far more reliable. DSL tends to have to be power cycled regularly by unplugging and replugging it. Ive had far less internet downtime with cable vs DSL or any other kind

Re: internet hook up required 22 Feb 2012 19:26 #37903

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Must be something local. I take care of 6 broadcast transmitters in remote locations with DSL, two with cable and another couple with fiber connections. I never have to reset any of them.

Re: internet hook up required 12 Mar 2012 17:21 #38033

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
My DSL has worked great at our theatre. I am suppose to upgrade this week to U-Verse for the same price and 4x speed of what I had.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction