Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby how long will that new digital projector last?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how long will that new digital projector last?

how long will that new digital projector last? 12 Jan 2012 15:20 #37743

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
So you have spent the 55,000.00 per screen and everything looks beautiful. How long will that new Christie, Barco, etc. projector last? How many years? Will you be allowed to let expensive upgrades pass you by, hunker down , and run your theatre?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how long will that new digital projector last? 12 Jan 2012 22:11 #37749

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How long will your current purchase last? This is my biggest concern when you talk about upgrading to D Cinema.

Boiled to its essence D Cinema is really a high end computer system. Most computers have an average life of 5 years. Why should D Cinema be any different.

And the technology keeps evolving at an exponetial rate. In five years there may entirely different systems. And in between will be the constant software upgrades.

So in my way of thinking/accounting I am amortizing the cost of D Cinema over 5 years. I believe I have to be prepared to substantially replace the system I buy today in another five to seven years.

I have been putting away 10,000 per year for the cost of a digital system for the past 5 years and will simply continue putting that 10,000 per year away for the next 5 years to assure there are adequate funds when replacement time occurs.

But then again .... what the hell do I know?

PPS .... Sadly I will have to mothball my 1955 vintage dual Simplex X/L projector changeover setup - which has been in continuous operation for over 56 years. I completely rebuilt my X/L projection heads myself about 15 years ago and they are so quiet you cannot hear them run. My annual maintenance costs for these X/L projector heads over the last 15 years since the rebuild .... ZERO (other than to change the oil every two years and the sprockets every 3 to 4 years).
Last Edit: 12 Jan 2012 22:21 by muviebuf.

Re: how long will that new digital projector last? 19 Jan 2012 18:46 #37775

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I think equipment longevity is another one of those paranoias that many owners have allowed themselves to buy into. Mainly, I think, it's just a matter of not understanding a technology that's set to replace something we've been comfortable with, some of us for decades.

I have 15 computers in various places at my drive-in, not counting assorted notebooks. They mainly handle POS, accounting, booth automation audio processing and DTS decoding functions. I also have a couple of networked raid assemblies, that I use for data backup. I've had one CPU go down, one ticketing printer die and one hard drive crash over the years. Other than that, no problems at all.

Most often, I've been able to identify two major points where a computer is likely to have a major problem... increasingly resource-hungry software upgrades or corrupt files (including viruses).

Generally speaking, if you just turn it on and run it, you aren't likely to have much trouble. I've had DTS players in service for years. They have a couple of fancy cards in them, plugged into an otherwise-ordinary computer board. Other than one power supply failure, which I replaced at a local computer store, nary a glitch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction