Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cure For The Ailing Movie Biz

Cure For The Ailing Movie Biz 08 Jan 2012 05:37 #37716

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
moneyland.time.com/2012/01/05/the-cure-f...raise-ticket-prices/

I was in Northern Virginia this week at the Tysons Corners Mall on a visit to my brother. We were going to see Warhorse after having dinner out. But since it was $12.00 per ticket general admission at the AMC Tysons Corners Mall multiplex we decided to pass.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cure For The Ailing Movie Biz 08 Jan 2012 06:52 #37718

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
I believe the corporate big boys like Regal, AMC, and CineMark really don't care about the communities in which they are located. They know nothing about showmanship, the demographics or the tastes of those demographics and book anything that Hollywood is pushing giving no thought to a films content and it's possible affect on the viewers and when business drops there answer is to raise prices. Those prices have gotten way out of line causing many to stop going to the theatre. On the other hand I believe there are real "showmen" out there (like RoxyVaudville) who go out of their way to make the movie-goer feel like a king by giving them quality films, first class service and reasonable prices. I believe too it will be the corporate big boys who will kill the theatre business in areas they serve because of the way they operate. Think I'm radical? Just wait and see.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM

Re: Cure For The Ailing Movie Biz 08 Jan 2012 23:38 #37720

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Great points every one, revrobor! When I think of the indie theaters that do well where I live, they offer pretty much all the things you listed - lower prices on admission and concessions, friendlier service and (often) SOME effort toward better presentation. On paper, I'm sure a lot of these places would look like bad bets to most theater owners. Many have only one screen, for instance. But they offer folks a good night out and don't treat 'em like cattle. Very simply, they offer a better product at a better price than the chains. And they offer people the opportunity to "buy local," so to speak, which moviegoers around here love. I get the feeling that there are a lot of owners who don't consider those things or see their value.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction