• Page:

TOPIC: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA

2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 05 Jan 2012 06:56 #37700

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
THE DIGITAL PRICES WILL PLUNGE
MOM AND POP RE BORN!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 05 Jan 2012 16:33 #37701

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Is this a dream that you've had? Do you have some factual information or is this just a gut feeling?

How low do you think prices will fall? I hope you're right, but I would hope that you would make such a claim with a little more information other than just a tease.

I know that if total cost came down to 40k I would probably put in a complete 2nd system just to have a back up for my single screen.

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 05 Jan 2012 17:16 #37702

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
There are 3 reasons for my theory - 1. Anyone who is still open will be be digital by then( thats when prices fall) -2. You will start to see a stronger used market for older digital projectors . 3-There will be a glut of closed cinemas ripe for the picking . This is my gut feeling following the trends I see today.
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012 17:18 by slapintheface.

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 05 Jan 2012 18:11 #37703

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
How dare you question Slap? He IS THE Man!
The following user(s) said Thank You: slapintheface

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 03:11 #37707

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Roxy can question any time as he knows what he is talking about. Smart- not -smart ass.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 03:12 by slapintheface.

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 15:43 #37710

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Not being a smart ass at all.

You have the highest karma of anyone and that is something for you to be proud of. You are THE man. That is why I have not questioned you at all on this thread. You are 100% right on everything.

Now I am eager to read how you think indi cinemas are to survive 2012-2014 to get to 2015. I am sure you are working on that right now..

I will no longer question you on anything. 3d is dead. Anyone who books themselves are ignorant because you can make a theater 20% more. Film-tech is a waste of time, do not believe anything there. Your picks are golden, if they do poorly it is because the exhibitor failed.

I will never question you again. Mike should change this forum to "slapsbigscreenbiz".

It is nice to see that you have finally gotten the recognition you deserve (highest karma rating). Great job!

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 20:18 #37711

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
as Slap says.... 2015 will be a good year for indie theatres... until then: here comes Hell. The biggest gap to bridge will be the period between the loss of the VPF (will drive prices down) and the 2nd generation digital cinema driving 1st gen into the used market. I think you'll see prices far below 40K with used gear... how many indies bought brand new 35mm systems? Next to zero. The gap will be the time frame when there is only new equip to fill a screen.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 21:12 #37712

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I always want to point out that I know nothing - which is still true. But in the thick of all the doom and gloom, I've also always believed (and said here) that digital will almost HAVE to come down in price. Unless all the manufacturers, brokers, salespeople, techs and other folks who deal in digital want to just close up shop after the chains are converted, prices must be in line with what the market will bear. This is very, very basic economics, and it tends to be even MORE true with new technology. And for a whole lot of reasons, this happens despite the fact that there are indeed foreign markets that haven't yet been saturated.

From what I've been told by folks on here, prices are already dropping. I don't buy that it's going to take 3 more years to make digital MUCH more affordable to indie joints. Unless, of course, manufacturers want to sit back and watch potential sales just evaporate over the next 36 months.

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 22:35 #37713

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I agree JPRM. I also still contend that film will not disappear from the face of the planet. There will always be specialty houses, classics, art, film clubs, collectors, etc. It is only general release current product that will probably not be available on film and the specialty houses may have to pay more for shipping but film will survive. Check back with me in ten years and see if I'm right.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: 2015-- THE RE--- BIRTH OF INDI CINEMA 06 Jan 2012 23:18 #37714

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Rufusjack : How will they survive till 2015 --Most will not . Small rural theaters will be the hardest hit if they cant raise capital for digital or don't have the funds on there own.

3d is dead ---- does that mean there will never be a 3d movie that make money--- nope
But the fad is over -- Theaters that have 3d almost always have to play the film in 2d as the customers demand it.
There are very few theater in 2012 running out to install 3d.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 23:19 by slapintheface.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction