Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: adding a 3rd screen exercise

adding a 3rd screen exercise 30 Nov 2011 02:34 #37495

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
This Friday I meet with Fire Marshall, code enforcement, architect, and econ developer to look at turning our twin www.templemovies.com into a three screen by taking out a notch of the dividing wall and extending the balcony out. Need carrying beams, etc. hence the architect. We have three entrances including an outdoors fire exit. Once I have an idea we'll see how it goes. I plan to throw in 35 mm that we are pulling from our digital conversion in another theatre. Last time I added one screen to two screens the head count doubled. If I can get 25% increase in traffic it pays for itself and makes the place much more profitable. Will keep you posted.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slapintheface

Re: adding a 3rd screen exercise 06 Dec 2011 14:58 #37556

• Mike
  • Administrator
met with the architect.... a guy who irritates me to no end as he keeps saying things like "might need an elevator" etc. and the Fire Marshall, who really aggravates me but he did nothing to do so this meeting, and the code enforcement officer. Basically they all gave the green light. We'll have enough egress: always huge, and the major stumbling block will be the forward carrying beam for the screen wall as we'll have to take it through the floor to the basement with steel posts. And of course as this "simple" job gets going you start noticing all the sub contracting jobs that will be required: electric/ heat/ paint/ plaster/ etc. etc. Next step is to get theoretical and do some costing out even before I unleash the architect to make drawings. As I head into Christmas I keep doing what if calculations/ how would it be different with 3 screens? Dramatically.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: adding a 3rd screen exercise 07 Dec 2011 15:02 #37567

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
sounds like a great project and you are doing it right. Keep us posted on progress.
"What a crazy business"

Re: adding a 3rd screen exercise 03 Jan 2012 15:40 #37697

• Mike
  • Administrator
The code enforcement officer and fire Marshall ended up seeing no problem and the architect drew up a very prelim set of plans enough to get a ball park estimate from a quality builder. This requires at least three posts being taken down through theatre floor to foundation/ carrying beams 50' long across the width of the theatre. The architect overly speced multiple layers of homosote (3 1" sheets pr side of wall.... etc. etc.) The builder looked at it and said 32K-40K for the construction only. Mostly due to moving a lot of wires, pipes, etc. Deducting all their stuuff I still put it at a minimum of 25K. Not including projection/ sound/ etc. etc. etc. Planned on all used 35 MM for the interim stage and I have it all except not the tech work and new screen needed. So.... I continue to work the problem. Looks like minimum of 33-38K doing it bare bones.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction