Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital and last minute schedule changes

Digital and last minute schedule changes 19 Nov 2011 02:33 #37412

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I am noticing my much bigger competitor make some last minute schedule changes. For example, today they canceled a 7ish Footloose to run Breaking Dawn in a 3rd room. They also canceled a 9ish Paranormal Activity 3 for another show of Breaking Dawn. These shows they cut were on their schedule as late as this morning. They do this quite a bit. I guess they do not mind pissing off a few people who planned to see those shows that were canceled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 19 Nov 2011 16:09 #37413

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
It is incredibly easy to add shows in whatever house you want with digital. I guess the temptation to do so was just too great. Still a crappy thing to do to some customers, though.....I'd be pissed off
"What a crazy business"

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 19 Nov 2011 16:33 #37414

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I would think Paramount would be a bit pissed too. Could have moved those movies to the discount theater. You think you or I or Mike or some other small operator would get into trouble?

Funny they did the same thing on Killer Elite in it's second week to make more rooms for Courageous. The same week that I received an email to make sure I was holding clean!

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 19 Nov 2011 18:24 #37415

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
seems like rules that you and I have to play by don't seem to matter to the big boys.... :angry:
"What a crazy business"

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 19 Nov 2011 20:16 #37416

We had people coming in to see Tower Heist yesterday that said they went to both nearby multiplexes to see it first, but were told the shows were canceled to make room for more Twilight.

I like the spillover business, but if we cancelled a whole afternoon of shows we would be cut off at the knees.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 20 Nov 2011 02:31 #37417

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
BrendanPelto wrote:
We had people coming in to see Tower Heist yesterday that said they went to both nearby multiplexes to see it first, but were told the shows were canceled to make room for more Twilight.

I like the spillover business, but if we cancelled a whole afternoon of shows we would be cut off at the knees.

Goodrich?

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 20 Nov 2011 17:30 #37418

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
You can add as many shows as you like ---- unless--
1. you have vpf

2. The other film you are taking off is allowed to be split.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 20 Nov 2011 17:32 #37419

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are in A clearance situation you must report this to the other studio. Studio wont care if its a pic allowed to be split --- but if its not the shit will hit the fan even with a big chain.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 20 Nov 2011 18:57 #37420

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
The funny thing is that the change in shows only exists on their website for a few hours. By the end of the day the added shows are gone and the cancelled shows are back on. Seems a bit sneaky to me. Not much of a big deal on Paranormal, but I am sure Paramount could care less about getting $17 off of a 12:15pm show.

Still bad customer service publishing shows that get cancelled.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 21 Nov 2011 21:38 #37427

• paulii_2000
  • Junior Boarder
I worked for Regal Entertainment Group for 4 years and I can tell you that if you cancel a digital movie, the studio will not only be pissed, but will probably still charge you for that show. This is why if you have a movie like Twilight coming out it is important to make a schedule for that week that will allow you to play the midnight show in every theater to maximize profits. Now that being said, if you buy the projector and do not have a VPF you might be able to do it, but I can not say for sure if that is true.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 21 Nov 2011 23:17 #37428

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Any decent size chain operating today is getting VPFs. This particular chain the VPF deal is probably worth approximately $19 million.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 21 Nov 2011 23:37 #37429

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Midnight movies or( 12:01 ) are exempt from all studio contracts. So a theater can play a 12:01 Twilight on every screen if they wish with no other studio approval.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 22 Nov 2011 03:03 #37430

• paulii_2000
  • Junior Boarder
You are right. There is no restriction on the amount of screens a theater can do for a midnight show. What I was talking about is that a theater can not cancel a movie for a midnight show. This is only for digital and vpf only, meaning the studios can see what is playing the theater.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 22 Nov 2011 04:19 #37431

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Not 100% quite true, but 99% true.

I have friend of mine who has a disney rep who insists that if you are playing a Disney movie at your theater on a first run basis that it plays with anything else. My friend has run midnight horror movies off and on and had to run Cars 2 at midnight. He also runs a free show on Tuesdays (usually an independent movie) and had to run Cars 2 at the exact same time as well.

Of course, this is rare.

Pauli, I am confused with Leeler. We are NOT talking about a midnight show. We are talking about prime time shows (7pm, 9pm, etc.) on Friday that were canceled to run additional shows of Breaking Dawn. Shows that were listed on Fandango, Moviefone, newspapers, etc. that were cancelled everywhere except their website for a few hours.

Re: Digital and last minute schedule changes 22 Nov 2011 19:18 #37434

• paulii_2000
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry. I thought it was midnight shows you were talking about. Ok well it sounds like you guys are talking about interlocks since again theaters can not cancel a digital movie if they have VPF. Regal tells managers to cancel another show to interlock 35mm prints in other theaters. It does piss people off, but they figure, and in some cases they are right, that cancelling a show for something like a Twilight movie will make them more money and those people that came for the cancelled show will just go to another movie.

rufusjack, hopefully now I'm on topic with what you guys are talking about now lol. By the way, your are very right about Disney. I remember we tried to cancel the 9:00 show of Toy Story 3D and they freaked out. Regal's system updates Fandango pretty quickly and when they saw that it wasnt there anymore, they made us put it back.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction