Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs

a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 05 Nov 2011 18:34 #37347

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Nothing like telling super salesmen that you will not be playing their big movie. When you book for yourself you get to hear their unhappiness directly. You can't play 'em all.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 06 Nov 2011 14:59 #37352

I am just learning this now, and considering going back to a booker for this very reason. We just made the move from 100% art titles to playing day and date on the break with the local plex, but with only 2 screens I feel a bit bullied. ("What do you mean you won't play our movie in 2D and 3D and nothing else at your theater for the next 4 weeks. at which point I have another 2D/3D title to take over your theater for another month!?)

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 06 Nov 2011 16:44 #37354

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
This is very true they get mad at the film buyer not the theater.

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 06 Nov 2011 21:48 #37355

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Another reason I would avoid singles and twins. With 4 screens it cam happen once a year (Christmas) but only every other year at most.

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 07 Nov 2011 14:41 #37357

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
not pleasant but it's the burden we bear. I never forget that the people I talk to have bosses and those bosses expect certain stuff from their employees and are just as hard on them also. Booking a 3 or a 2: you cannot play them all. And as to 3-D screen grabbing: that's why we are not getting it/ far more aggravation than it's worth.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 09 Nov 2011 19:05 #37368

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
There's also the fact that some owners, myself included, are probably not the most objective negotiators. There are only so many studios out there, and I can only imagine how some personalities can clash, given the factors that drive each side.

A booking agent does buffer those issues, and the more even-tempered... possibly the better :blink:

Re: a booker insulates you from the unhappy distribs 13 Nov 2011 08:21 #37382

Speaking from the trenches, this is the time of the year where Booking becomes the chess game. It helps to have good relationships with your film companies and honestly, plan ahead with what you want to do. Another thing to do is, while we are all tempted if one film company has 2 really good films to play both of them and shut out the other guy, remember that you will be paying for it down the road when you want that "special" film later and can't get it. Once in a while, we have to take a bullet. Studio bookers have long-term memories. It's a bit of politics. But for the most part, they are all good people to deal with.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction