Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: show east blog

show east blog 24 Oct 2011 18:03 #37279

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Flew into Miami and cruised up from Miami Beach art deco district: very Euro and looked cool. Staying 8 min walk from show. It seems much smaller than previous years/ we'll see. Attended tech/ digi cinema presentations this AM and it was very interesting: one takeaway: welcome to the world of ever ending up grades, add ons, software replacements, equipment that becomes quickly outdated and on and on. Major exhib chains were as freaked as everyone else: will this never end and what happens to those of us who invest only to be told: update or die. ??? More on this

Heard a single theatre exhib give a passionate "do not forget about us" speech and he has a state of art 4 screen (but no digi.) more on this later.
Saw Mike.... SLap... on his way to a massage!

I will report on Show East as we go.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2011 18:04 by Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: show east blog 26 Oct 2011 11:47 #37296

• Mike
  • Administrator
The Show is very much reduced from years past. No idea why but trade show is less than 50% of past. Attendance said to be 700 but must include vendors as meals and groups seem very reduced. Yet everyone seems very positive... other than a couple of guys from Slovakia used to the big show in Amsterdam and looking for a little more life. All the talk is digital.. what can we say? The transition moves on. There have been many many serious discussions about what happens to the 20% of the smaller theatres and there seems consensus that less expensive stuff will quickly emerge so equipment gets less expensive and smaller size of many theatres needing less high end projectors combines with phase one / series one used projectors to make digital more available.

Nearly everyone I have spoken with says they do not expect that the 20% theatres will be left behind and political and legal issues will emerge.

saw a few movies and wish I could tell you they were exciting. So far...eh. Seeing a lot of great trailers and clips and that seems exciting and a good season is coming.

We are negotiating our three screen digi deal so moving along for a late winter install before April/ no 3-D.

Speaking of Facebook: they had a major workshop with one of the orginators and somehow it got to 3-D discussion and he said "Last year we were asked by distribs to find out what people felt about 3d and what did they find?... "generally people did not like it, did not care, didn't look for it as a decider, were more likely to not want to see a 3-D movie, did not enjoy it, etc. etc." What was the distribs reaction? He covered his ears and started going la-la-la-la-la-la.

Back at the trade show everyone who's selling loves 3-D.

Last night had a really nice tropical party outside / Dave's mother in law won a Motorola tablet and he looked like he was planning on stealing it.

Off we go to meet with financiers and integrators.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: show east blog 28 Oct 2011 04:01 #37301

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
THE BEST MOVIE @ SHOWEAST BY FAR FOR ME WAS-- ARTHUR'S CHRISTMAS--- AMAZING

Re: show east blog 28 Oct 2011 05:20 #37302

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
And that was the one kid movie I was not gonna play thinking that 3 is too many at a 4 screen. My kids (8&9 years old with a good track record) say Muppets is number one. So which one of Happy Feet 2 or Muppets which you skip to play arthur? Or is 3 kid movies at a time fine???

Re: show east blog 28 Oct 2011 12:30 #37303

• Mike
  • Administrator
3 kids movies and my customers would hang me from a tree / two is plenty/

back to the Show. Had 3 good films: Carnage/ Arthur/ Descendents / ate outdoors at Cheesecake Factory with fellow theatre owners Jay and Lara/ Dave and Sandy and myself and Therese rather than bus back to stand up lunch. Made great head way on sorting through all the players of digital cinema and we are talking about setting up an off line discussion group for the soon to be adopting.

There is a huge amount of "it ain'y over" in terms of new less expensive options, widening the vpf, etc. etc. Everyone agrees that a formula that kills off 800 exhibs will not work. More to come....

Every time I come to these things I feel re-energized and rebooted. I see a lot of films: some I will not play and some I must and a huge amount of trailers and sneeks of upcoming films and I return to my isolated world of my theatres and feel reconnected to our industry. Oh yes and the Cuban coffee ain't bad either.

The single best thing about these shows is meeting theatre owners and soaking up their energy and schemes: they make us better exhibitors.

right now it's 80 out and packing for 3 days in Key West and Miami...
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: show east blog 28 Oct 2011 14:25 #37304

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I would play -- ARTHUR'S CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY FEET 2 --

Re: show east blog 29 Oct 2011 00:35 #37305

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Will Arthur still play well in 2d?

May not matter. Word is that Hugo is going to be cut back and there will be no 35mm 3d. So it may not matter. Looks like 3 kid movies plus Twilight!

Re: show east blog 30 Oct 2011 13:31 #37309

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
IT WILL PLAY JUST AS WELL IN 2 D

Re: show east blog 01 Nov 2011 15:55 #37321

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
BTW I agree on most of the comments made here about the show.

Mike I saw your comment about my mother in-law and I have not gotten my hands on the tablet yet.

Re: show east blog 02 Nov 2011 17:20 #37331

• Mike
  • Administrator
dsschoenborn wrote:
BTW I agree on most of the comments made here about the show.

Mike I saw your comment about my mother in-law and I have not gotten my hands on the tablet yet.

funny! I saw that look in Grannie's eye and it said "Momma likey!"
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: show east blog 13 Nov 2011 08:35 #37387

Guys,

Buy the Kindle Fire like I just did. Me likey the $199 price tag. BTW Dave, thanks for being Santa Claus at the Film District booth. I heard all that extra crap you gave away made Bob Berney resign at Film District.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction