Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies

5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 23 Oct 2011 02:38 #37260

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
On Monday, Moviefone wondered why audiences weren't going to the movies with the same frequency they were during the first three-quarters of 2011. After much discussion in the comments section and on our Facebook page, it looks like we have some answers. Ahead, five reasons why movie attendance has been down since mid-August.

5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies

1. Better Home Equipment
One of the bigger selling points to the current 3D movement was that it gave audiences something they couldn't get at home. A good idea, in theory, but one that ignored a small issue: maybe what's at home is better than anything offered at the multiplex. Extra dimensions or not.

"I also refuse to pay for 3D now, period," wrote commenter Maureen Lucas. "Sadly, I noticed when watching 'Transformers 3' on Blu-ray last week that it looked better on my TV than [when I saw it in] non-3D movie theater." Ticket prices are high enough as it is without 3D, but paying for something that -- despite James Cameron's protests -- doesn't really offer anything special to the viewing experience is a turn-off. Especially with home entertainment centers becoming so technically advanced. Speaking of which...
ewing experience is a turn-off. Especially with home entertainment centers becoming so technically advanced. Speaking of which...
2. The Video On Demand Window
Even without studios trying to close the window between theatrical release and home debut -- hello, 'Tower Heist'! -- most major releases hit DVD, Blu-ray and on-demand providers relatively quickly. "It's easy to wait and just rent the movie," wrote Jillian. She's right: cable subscribers can currently purchase 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon,' 'Bad Teacher,' 'Horrible Bosses,' 'Bridesmaids,' 'Green Lantern,' 'Fast Five' and even 'The Tree of Life' via on demand, three-to-five months after those films debuted in theaters. ('Dark of the Moon' is still out, albeit on less than 200 screens.) The way things are going, day-and-date release might be a reality by 2020. Which is great news if you don't want to trek out to the movie theater on a Saturday night, but bad news if you work at said movie theater.

3. Television Shows
As if better viewing equipment and sooner chances to watch movies wasn't enough of an incentive for audiences to stay home, there's television itself. "I prefer watching the quality dramas on HBO, AMC and FX, among others, to movies. With the majority of movies now geared to children or 15-24 year old boys, I don't have time or desire to sift through dozens of reviews to find a movie worth my time and money," Katherine M. wrote. "The quality TV dramas are thought-provoking, at the same time every week, and can be DVR'd or seen on demand. [...] Most great stories take more than two hours to tell, and so I love the mini-series and 13-week season formats of TV, where I get an in-depth story, but only have to sit for an hour at a time." It's hard to argue with someone who would rather stay home an watch 'Breaking Bad' than head to the theater to check out 'Footloose
ecial to the viewing experience is a turn-off. Especially with home entertainment centers becoming so technically advanced. Speaking of which...

4. Economics
The elephant in the room, as it were. With the economy in the tank and ticket prices growing -- with 3D ticket prices holding a special place of consumer outrage -- audiences are fed up. "LISTEN UP all you spoiled, overpaid sports figures, entertainers, producers and directors. While you all vacation in exotic locations and check your portfolios, may I point out that the Economy SUCKS," commented Gerry Ashley. "Many of us are out of work. We don't have an extra $50 to go to the movies (ticket plus refreshments)." Most on-demand rentals cost $4.99; DVDs and Blu-rays cost around $20 to purchase. Economically speaking, going to the movies makes less and less sense for people looking to keep costs down. It's a problem Hollywood can't really stop, especially...
Speaking of which...Photo: Universal

5. Crappy Movies
...if they keep producing bad movies. "Hollywood is dumping garbage on us (in the form of sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots and franchises which we didn't ask for or even want, not to mention having 3D slapped on every movie in sight), calling it 'collective art' and expecting us to pay for it through exorbitantly high ticket and concession prices," wrote Stepahnie Freeman. Which might be the biggest sin of all. To paraphrase Robert Reich, "It's the movies, stupid." That doesn't necessarily mean audiences only see good movies (har!), but that audience-interest is almost more important than quality. You can get people out to the theater for 'Harry Potter' and 'Transformers'; you'll have a harder time getting them out for 'Green Lantern' and 'The Thing.' General audiences aren't perfect -- the customer is always right until the customer ignores a great film like 'Warrior' or a pretty-good one like 'The Ides of March' -- but they can still smell a dog (like the pictured 'Bucky Larson'). When they do, they'll stay away. In droves.
Last Edit: 23 Oct 2011 02:42 by jacker5.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dusty114

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 23 Oct 2011 03:28 #37262

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
This plays into that article but there needs to be some clarification.

Great entertainment is still being made. It is just coming in different formats. Adults have always been a bit more reluctant to see a movie at a theater vs their kids who will see anything as it gets them out of the house. What 14 year old wants to hang out at home with their parents. and vice versa.

The studios know this so why are they going to waste money to put a movie to theaters when adults will not go see it. (For the reasons mentioned above). Producers too. Actors too. That is why they are in HBO shows, Starz, AMC, etc. (If I have the time, I want to count the numnber of movies made the past 10 years and rate them by IMDB/RT, I doubt if there really is much different)

Moneyball is a great example. 8.2 Imdb, 95% rottentomatoes. 3000 locations and only $60m after 4 weeks plus. Almost 25% of the theaters in my area did less than $3000 after 2 weeks.

I am bad too. Outside of kids movies, I have only watched the Hangover 2 in theaters over the past year. I am more than happy watching them on Blu-Ray.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 23 Oct 2011 14:05 #37263

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Why Aren't You Going to the Movies?

"I'm really concerned about how soft things are," a panicked and unnamed longtime studio executive told Nikki Finke about the depressed box office numbers that have hit Hollywood in the last two months. "I'm sitting here looking at grosses and I'm concerned for the industry. What's worrying me is where are those hardcore movie fans at this point?" Probably still seeing movies, actually. The better question is: where is everyone else? Why aren't you going to the movies?

Despite what many experts felt would be an easy road to nearly $20 million, the well-received remake of 'Footloose' earned just $16 million over the weekend -- putting it in runner-up position behind 'Real Steel,' which might not break $100 million domestically despite lofty costs. In fact, the last film to earn more than $100 million at the box office was released all the way back in August: 'The Help' cracked the barrier, meaning Hollywood hasn't seen a triple-digit grosser in over two months. All of which is to say: things could be better. Perhaps even the movies.

As Finke herself wrote, "I've been reporting how younger males - which used to be Hollywood's target audience - have been no longer consistently (and indiscriminately) going to the movies since August. [...] I say Hollywood should expect the worst when they release a succession of mostly dreadful pics. This weekend's total gross won't edge much over $80M - which is a whopping -35% from last year when 'Jackass 3D' opened to $50M. (I know what you're thinking: Who are the jackasses now?) This is not a good situation for the studios to be in as moviegoing enters the all-important holiday season."

It's not, but what Finke and her unnamed studio source fail to mention is that the seven films in the top-ten of the box office this weekend have fresh ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, with 'Moneyball,' '50/50,' 'The Ides of March,' 'Dolphin Tale' and 'The Lion King 3D' over 80 percent. Far from "mostly dreadful." Moreover, the weekly depreciations for these films have been scant: the only films to dip more than 40 percent over the weekend were 'Real Steel' (down just 40.1 percent, a testament to how the Hugh Jackman-led film is playing with families) and 'The Lion King 3D' (down just 41.1 percent despite losing 300 screens).

Adult audiences are finding 'The Ides of March,' 'Moneyball' and '50/50,' which should have been expected since adults aren't likely to run out on opening weekend to see a movie. In this case, the movies are actually good! (See also: 'Contagion' and 'Drive,' both of which had successful runs.) Even a massive disappointment like 'Warrior' was one of the best-reviewed movies of the year. Quality, for once, doesn't seem to be the problem.

So, where is the disconnect? Why have young audiences apparently tuned out? Check the programming. As prominent blogger David Poland wrote, "If you want to point at a single movie that really works for this audience since 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes,' be my guest. What was this, the biggest, most consistent audience supposed to go see? Couldn't sell them '30 Minutes or Less.' Okay, what else ya got? Retreads. 'Conan,' 'Final Destination 5,' 'Fright Night'... a shock-thriller-sell remake of a movie no one under 40 knows in 'Straw Dogs' (which would have done better sold as a thinking man's thriller). Did anyone really expect bigger numbers for a cancer dramedy ... even a good one? [Jason] Statham's numbers are about right [for 'Killer Elite'], given a new distributor. $25m on 'ABduction' is a miracle and over $30m on 'Drive' is a downright hit. As noted earlier, 'Real Steel' went younger and succeeded in that goal."

What of 'Real Steel'? With $108 million worldwide already, and rollouts in more foreign territories to come -- plus no family films in the marketplace until Oct. 28 when 'Puss in Boots' rolls out -- the film should easily crest above $200 million worldwide before it shuffles out of the theater. Hardly a flop, but not necessarily the type of eye-popping number that gets people excited. Following a summer where even crap like 'Green Lantern' grossed over $50 million during its opening weekend, anything less than stratospheric bank is a failure. Which, if anything, is this fall's downfall: there hasn't been a breakout cultural phenomenon.

That could change on Friday with 'Paranormal Activity 3'; the second film in the franchise opened above $40 million, and 'PA3' is tracking to hit about $35 million. Or maybe it won't. Maybe the movie industry is at the start of a slump. Maybe you aren't going to the movies because you don't want to go to the movies. If that's the case, Hollywood likely has one simple question: when do you plan on going to the movies

Article Link

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 23 Oct 2011 14:12 #37264

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Well, Paranormal Activity has proven again that the right product at the right time will bring folks out to the theatre. It is all about product and timing.
AllenD

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 23 Oct 2011 17:09 #37269

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The number six reason is ..... (wait for it)....... the Studio's own Scheduling.

Over the past 10 years theatre owners have seen the studios expand from the former ways of the 1980s and 1990 when both big budget crowd pleasers and young fan action films were only released between May through July and November/December periods. Why just last year "Alice in Wonderland" - second highest grossing movie of 2010 - was released in March and out of the theatres in video by end of May.

This year .... for some unknown reason.... we abruptly have gone back to the old ways of the 80 and 90s. There was nothing to speak of this spring (Jan to April) until Fast 5. And then the studios had more comic book movies against one another than anything else. And then nothing from The Help until mid November.

And look at this coming holiday season..... I have never seen so many kid pics batteling one another head-to-head in my life.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 24 Oct 2011 03:09 #37274

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
sevstar wrote:
Why Aren't You Going to the Movies?

Despite what many experts felt would be an easy road to nearly $20 million, the well-received remake of 'Footloose' earned just $16 million over the weekend -- putting it in runner-up position behind 'Real Steel,' which might not break $100 million domestically despite lofty costs. In fact, the last film to earn more than $100 million at the box office was released all the way back in August: 'The Help' cracked the barrier, meaning Hollywood hasn't seen a triple-digit grosser in over two months. All of which is to say: things could be better. Perhaps even the movies.

As Finke herself wrote, "I've been reporting how younger males - which used to be Hollywood's target audience - have been no longer consistently (and indiscriminately) going to the movies since August. [...] I say Hollywood should expect the worst when they release a succession of mostly dreadful pics. This weekend's total gross won't edge much over $80M - which is a whopping -35% from last year when 'Jackass 3D' opened to $50M. (I know what you're thinking: Who are the jackasses now?) This is not a good situation for the studios to be in as moviegoing enters the all-important holiday season."

Adult audiences are finding 'The Ides of March,' 'Moneyball' and '50/50,' which should have been expected since adults aren't likely to run out on opening weekend to see a movie. In this case, the movies are actually good! (See also: 'Contagion' and 'Drive,' both of which had successful runs.) Even a massive disappointment like 'Warrior' was one of the best-reviewed movies of the year. Quality, for once, doesn't seem to be the problem.

That could change on Friday with 'Paranormal Activity 3'; the second film in the franchise opened above $40 million, and 'PA3' is tracking to hit about $35 million. Or maybe it won't. Maybe the movie industry is at the start of a slump. Maybe you aren't going to the movies because you don't want to go to the movies. If that's the case, Hollywood likely has one simple question: when do you plan on going to the movies

Article Link

How many movies opening in Sept & Oct the past 10 years grossed over $100m????? 11! for an average of 1.1 each year. 3 years out of 10 saw no movie gross over $100m. (BTW, that research took 5 mins using Rentrak's website).

Oh and as of 11pm CST, total BO for the weekend is $101m.

Estimates for PA3 are $54m for the weekend.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 29 Oct 2011 03:52 #37306

• paulii_2000
  • Junior Boarder
I think the main reason most people don't go to the movies as much or at all is because of "franchise theaters" putting a picture in everyones mind that every movie theater is expensive. Here in Rochester, all the Regals expect for one are $10 a ticket. Add 3D to that and its $13.50. Part of the problem also is the movie studios pumping these movies out to DVD quickly these days and yes people can watch it from home on PPV for a cheaper price.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 02 Nov 2011 03:00 #37324

• Elin TW
I'm shocked -- shocked!! -- that The Showman isn't on here with his comments about playing quality movies and not just the crap Hollywood throws at us. Maybe he's finally going to stop with this...if only he'd stop with the "Keep 35mm and don't switch to digital" schtick.

-Elin

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 02 Nov 2011 05:00 #37325

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Well just for you Elin. I never said don't switch to digital. I've said we don't need to panic about it. We still have a few years before film is gone. As for the quality of films generally it has deteriorated tremendously since the late '60s as producers and directors push the envelope with profanity and vulgar language, sexual nudity, gory special effects, violence, promiscuous sex and stories that attempt to justify or portray behaviors as normal that are not generally accepted in society. In the same period some of the best films ever produced have been made. But they are the exception rather than the rule. On the exhibition side we have theatre owners who have forgotten, or never realized their responsibility to the community and don't give a damn what they show as long as someone will buy a ticket to it. There are exceptions of course but they are few and far between. The AFI has selected "Citizen Kane" a 1941 film as the best film ever made. If you had been around as long as I have you would have seen these changes. That's my opinion and you have no valid reason for being insulting about it.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011 17:08 by revrobor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dusty114

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 02 Nov 2011 11:55 #37326

• dusty114
  • Fresh Boarder
OK I am going to say as a younger person with money to spend, I typically go to the movies on certain occasions, before we could not wait to see a new movie and it would take forever for it to hit Blockbuster to rent so it was normal to hit a movie every weekend. Now there is Redbox, cheap and easy. Its killing you, and I am guilty of loving Redbox. And we went to see Paranormal Activity 3, why? Because of the timing, it was Halloween and we wanted to get scared with our date. We can wait for Moneyball to come to Redbox, its not an "event". Paranormal was an event for Halloween. Muppets will do great too I think because its something fun to watch after Thanksgiving dinner. Take it from me, you need to make movie going an event or we will just wait at home for Redbox. And I hate watching digital sorry Im young and I love film, period. And a lot of people my age agree.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 07 Nov 2011 21:48 #37361

• Night Fury
  • Junior Boarder
I agree about the 'event' thing, but 99% of younger viewers(most viewers period) won't even know the difference between film and digital. Obviously, there is a huge difference, digital is SO much clearer, crisper, doesn't shake, etc.

Heck, half the people that WORK at my theater don't even know which individual houses are digital and which are film.
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2011 21:50 by Night Fury.

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Aren't Going to the Movies 07 Nov 2011 22:36 #37362

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Young people are still going to the movies as always. There are times were we go into these slumps for 6- 8 weeks every year sometimes there worse than others. The biz will be around long after we are gone as strong as ever with big ups and big downs . Redbox ,Netflicks will be long gone before theaters.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction