Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: another reason for digital

another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 12:56 #36901

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Just spoke with Disney looking for prints of The Help. None available. "But if these were digital we'd have added you weeks ago. We had a "go" to add all digital shows if they were wanted." So who was left out? Anyone who did not open and had 35 mm. As I said: another reason to get digital. :(
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 13:54 #36903

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
For sure --- its changing and fast.

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 15:11 #36905

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
As I understand it, the Lion King re-release is for digital towns only. Another reason to go digital. Nearly a generation hasn't seen this on the big screen.
CGM

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 17:11 #36907

• 4thGen
That's not how its working in my territory. I know an exhibitor who has a digital hard drive of the Help in one of his theatres and wants to take the drive to his single screen theatre and download it. All he needs is the key and Disney won't do it. I've also asked Disney for a 3-D digital print of Lion King and she doesn't think it will happen for us. Not knocking digital because I love it but Disney isn't treating anyone in my territory any differently than before digital.

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 17:26 #36908

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Well guys, I'm just waiting for the day when the distributors will take over your theatres entirely telling you what to book and when to book it. They're getting close to that now and it will happen unless you all join together and take a stand. The corporate big boys won't do it because they don't give a tinkers dam about what they show and the communities they serve. But there must be enough independents left that care and can make a difference.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2011 17:27 by revrobor.

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 17:52 #36909

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
revrobor wrote:
Well guys, I'm just waiting for the day when the distributors will take over your theatres entirely telling you what to book and when to book it. They're getting close to that now and it will happen unless you all join together and take a stand. The corporate big boys won't do it because they don't give a tinkers dam about what they show and the communities they serve. But there must be enough independents left that care and can make a difference.

With all due respect to the "Old Showman" this is why I've virtually dropped out of commenting on this forum.
Rufusjack has pointed out the fact the number of independent screens doesn't make a difference - what makes a difference is the amount of revenue the screens generate in relationship to "the big boys."
What will joining independents together show the studios? That the studios must keep making 35 mm prints and that the independents must pay the full print cost?
The studios do have the product that we want to play and the customers want to see. That's the long and the short of it. Refusing to play mainstream product would be the kiss of death. And frankly those theatres would deserve to die.
Talk among yourselves if you want to rehash these points again.
I'm going back into hiatus and resuming actually working in the business, not discussing the same points over and over again.
There are many fine operators on this board. They deserve good information

Re: another reason for digital 06 Sep 2011 20:33 #36911

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Deluxe Film Service’s 35mm U.S. Print Distribution

Deluxe is committed to providing the best service possible to exhibition throughout the deployment of Digital Cinema and the resulting decline of 35mm exhibition. Deluxe has entered into an agreement wherein Deluxe will subcontract the management and distribution of all new 35mm film prints to Technicolor for theatres throughout the United States.
All 35mm prints of new releases from Deluxe’s studio clients will be shipped to theatres by Technicolor and these 35mm prints will return to the Technicolor distribution centers for storage and/or subsequent release. Titles prior to this transition which were managed by Deluxe will continue to be available for subsequent exhibition through Deluxe directly. All repertory titles for Deluxe’s studio clients will continue to be handled by Deluxe.
The transition date to this new arrangement will vary by studio and all subsequent releases after the first transition title will then continue through Technicolor’s distribution model.
Technicolor will continue to deliver film prints through UPS as they currently do, targeting delivery for two days prior to open date. At the end of a title’s run at the theatre, UPS will be scheduled to pick up the print the day after the title has come off screen (typically Friday for a print that has ended its run Thursday night). Theatre to theatre direct moves will be managed by Technicolor and its couriers for all Deluxe’s studio clients except for Warner Bros. and Fox. Those studios will continue to manage theatre to theatre moves for their respective titles.
Deluxe and Technicolor are committed to work together to meet the needs of studio distribution and theatrical exhibition. Below is a list by studio for the first release that will be distributed through Technicolor’s distribution model.

First Transition Title
Warner Brothers: Dolphin Tale, September 23, 2011
20th Century Fox: What’s Your Number?, September 30, 2011
Fox Searchlight: Margaret, September 30, 2011
Fox Searchlight: Force, September 30, 2011
Summit Entertainment: 50/ 50, September 30, 2011
Paramount Pictures: Footloose, October 14, 2011
Sony Pictures Releasing: TBD
Film District: The Rum Diary, October 28, 2011
Sony Pictures Classics: Carnage, November 18, 2011
Open Road Films: The Grey, January 27, 2012
CBS Films: The Woman in Black, February 3, 2012

Deluxe will advise if any changes are made to the transition titles outlined above. Please feel free to contact Deluxe Film Services at 800-734-3969 should you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding during this transition.

Re: another reason for digital 12 Sep 2011 17:25 #36948

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
CGM wrote:
revrobor wrote:

With all due respect to the "Old Showman" this is why I've virtually dropped out of commenting on this forum.
Rufusjack has pointed out the fact the number of independent screens doesn't make a difference - what makes a difference is the amount of revenue the screens generate in relationship to "the big boys."
What will joining independents together show the studios? That the studios must keep making 35 mm prints and that the independents must pay the full print cost?
The studios do have the product that we want to play and the customers want to see. That's the long and the short of it. Refusing to play mainstream product would be the kiss of death. And frankly those theatres would deserve to die.
Talk among yourselves if you want to rehash these points again.
I'm going back into hiatus and resuming actually working in the business, not discussing the same points over and over again.
There are many fine operators on this board. They deserve good information

....everyone is entitled to their opinion... even when it is askew or wrong. The fact that someone feels one way or the other will not make something true that is not. I have no interest personally playing movies no one wants to see or has heard of either for that matter. For us to have movies that people want to see takes serious marketing efforts. For it to flow slowly down to small town theatres it has to have serious impact somewhere. The idea that the very very independent small town theatres from places like Washington State, Florida, Texas, and Maine will be unionizing or organizing is just not reality based.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: another reason for digital 12 Sep 2011 20:00 #36950

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike,

Seldom do the studios tell me what to play. I will take whatever they will give me! I can count on one hand the number of times in five years I have been asked to play something that I did not want. So Bob's scenario does not exist in my experience.

Who here as ever felt that they had to play a movie or be in some studios bad graces?

Re: another reason for digital 14 Sep 2011 19:27 #36973

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I have been bullied (well: they tried), threatened, told "I'd be taken off service.", etc. etc. When a salesperson has been told by their boss: I want X amount of screens they'll go to any length including whining... whatever it takes to get their picture on screen. Not all distribs and not always the same ones but it seems that at any given time someone is giving me a hard time. But not at the moment: right now they are all in mole mode.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: another reason for digital 15 Sep 2011 02:55 #36974

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
While I haven't seen it happen too much recently, over the years one of the prime reasons I have seen for a "push" by a given salesperson of a certain distributor for a certain picture or pictures (e.g. we need a certain number of screens or playdates)is that there was a sales contest going on with the sales winner getting anything from a cash bonus to a carribean vacation.

I can remember back in the late 1980's there was a time I took a picture that I would have never played from an old friend who had been my sales rep for many years as he needed just one more booking to win the sales contest and win the tropical vacation. I never let him forget it from then on ..... that he owed me big time!

Re: another reason for digital 15 Sep 2011 17:39 #36981

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I really can't remember the last movie I had to take that I did not want. Anyone have any ideas?

Digital-The Help: I know of 2 - 100% digital theaters that have not been able to get The Help as of yet. A third is starting it this friday with lion king 3d.
Last Edit: 15 Sep 2011 17:42 by rufusjack.

Re: another reason for digital 19 Sep 2011 15:44 #37006

• crazybob
  • Junior Boarder
When I call to book films from various studios, I ask them when is film going to stop being available? The man I talked this morning (sony) said that he said that 35mm film should be available for the foreseeable future. Yet I hear warnings from my peer group of theatre owners that on such & such a day, ALL FILM WILL BE CUT OFF!, If you don't go out & spend mega-bucks on the new super-dooper chiniese, DIGI-BOX, you'll be out of business & SOL!. I'm starting to think that these manufactures of the digital projectors, (that will need to be replaced every few years) are spreading these "END OF FILM" fear rumors, to sell more equipment! I may be wrong, but I think that film & digi will co-exist for a while. Thanks, Crazy Bob.

Re: another reason for digital 19 Sep 2011 16:39 #37007

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Crazybob,

Waiting for now and converting at the last possible point makes sense in the following scenarios:
1) you can not qualify for a full 1st run VPF
2) You own your property (can't sell right now so you might as well keep it open)
3) You have a short term lease and can continue to extend that a short term basis (3-6 mos)

Not planning for the cost of switching in the next 12-18 mos is ignorant in the following situations:
1) You are looking at starting a new theater in any situation
2) You have a long-term lease (3 years +)

If you can qualify for a full 1st run VPF (you play 85% of your movies on the break) you need to be talking to intergrators now.

The big question is, what will studios do when 90% of a movies gross comes from digital locations which is extremely likely 12 months from now?

Re: another reason for digital 21 Sep 2011 02:35 #37013

• strategery
I have not been on in a while and got a chuckle that there is always going to be a thread about digital conversion. I understand the romance with 35MM; I grew up in the business playing with it like everyone else but it is going away sooner rather than later. I have not read of a single idea on how 35MM stays as a viable presentation method to the studios. And while we may not like the studios all the time, they still control distribution and there is nothing in it for them to continue to make 35MM prints a day longer than they have to.

While I tend to agree with many of CGM points, I did find his last post on this subject a little mean spirited. It was rude to suggest that he is superoir to the rest of us and has to go back and run his theatre while others have nothing better to do than hang out in the forum. CGM i think you owe the rest of us an appology.
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction