• Page:

TOPIC: The movie "Courageous"

The movie "Courageous" 23 Aug 2011 12:18 #36853

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
www.cedartownstd.com/view/full_story/151...ance=home_local_news

Anyone been given this deal?

I was originally told it was based on what you did with Fireproof and was a extremely high number, much higher than $6-8,000.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The movie "Courageous" 22 Sep 2011 14:50 #37025

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Dealing with Provident films on this is easily been my worst booking experience and it is not even close.

The issue:
Was originally encouraged to get 1000 tickets guaranteed and to encourage churches etc. to use their website to do so. I had 4 churches committed to 1000 tickets. I even offered to wire to Sony a $5000 guarantee.

Lie #1 told to me: (from a Provident Films rep) We are only taking locations with 5 or more screens. Absolute lie! When I was told this there was already a 3 screen and 2 - 4 screens listed on their Website as playing this movie.

Lie/Misrepresentation of facts #2 told to me: We had a deadline of Sept. 7 to book this movie on the break. I had at least 4 communications with a Provident rep after that date and not once did anyone say it was too late. The deadline was given to me after may commuicstions from another Provident rep.

Lie/Misrepresentation of fact #3 told to me: "Anonymous town was already in danger of not opening because of the lack of response to the free leaders screening". My Sony rep said that any theater grossing over $25,000 on Fireproof was getting Courageous. Yea, I would hope so! Anonymous theater did over $35,000. I believe this lie was told to get churches to buck up some guarantees.

Lie/Misrepresentation of fact #4 told to me: "Tristar books and said 'no' based on the parameters they have outlined......... Tristar wasn't willing to risk an additional print in a market that was on our watch/drop list". Sony says final booking decisions were up to Provident and they had very little say. I believe Sony.

I was hoping that a small independent company that is promoting a Christian/Faith based movie would be easy t work with. But no. I would not trust these folks at all. I have never been lied to by any or regular studio reps in 4 years.

It was clear after all of this that they had no desire to book two theaters close to each other in order to manipulate those per location averages to promote how receptive people are to our Christian movies. Just tell me that up-front. I hate being lied to.

Re: The movie "Courageous" 23 Sep 2011 14:43 #37032

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The Sherwood films, while well intentioned, leave many small town theaters looking like, in the eyes of the locals, anti-Christian, anti-family when we don't play the films first run.
"Why will you refuse to play Courageous but you will play Killer Elite" is a typical complaint received just today.
Like RufusJack notes if the film is already in the market place, even if it is 40-45 minutes away, it frequently won't get played in a theater.
And how many main stream multi million dollar movies want $5,000 upfront any more?
Sometimes I think this is a scam to promote the film ahead of a Wal*Mart DVD release.
Those of us who have had to play these films second run to save face know how it is to have the film on our first run screens at the same time that it is in Wal*Mart.
Well said Mr. Jack.
Allen
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2011 14:44 by AllenD.

Re: The movie "Courageous" 23 Sep 2011 18:21 #37033

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
I agree AllenD. We attend a pretty large church and lots of people question us as to why we don't get the "Christian" movies and the big multi-plexes do. Our Pastor really wants to recommend that people come see it at our theater, but he can't because we don't have it and we never know what date we will be getting it. I explain how booking movies works and how it is always all about the amount of money you bring in. With that being said, if more people want to see the Christian movies at theaters that are owned by Christians, they have to support that theater by waiting to go and see it there vs. the multiplex, that way the next time one of these movies comes out, the numbers will speak for themselves.

Re: The movie "Courageous" 23 Sep 2011 23:19 #37037

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I've just seen that several very small towns have picked up the movie and had it confirmed on the offical movie page. More to the point I've seen a few towns that are as close as 15 miles to each other each with a confirmed print.
Perhaps Sony handling Courageous has caused a wider, more professional, distribution.
I certainly will give credit to the producers for seeking traditional, professional, distribution help.

Re: The movie "Courageous" 24 Sep 2011 04:00 #37039

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Allen,

According to my Sony Rep (I self book) Sony had very little in choosing what locations got the movie. Remember I was willing to pay a $5000 guarantee! Wired to them within 2 hours.

This was how it worked: 1) If you grossed very well on Fireproof, you got the movie. That threshold eventually got down to around $15-17,000 I was told. 2)a) Churches through the Courageous website www.courageousthemovie.com/takeaction would sign up to purchase all tickets of certain shows, b) they received an email from an action squad member (there were 8 total for approx 1100 locations), c) they received a follow up phone call from an action squad member who then walked through the commitment, d) Provident decided where to open the movie

Again according to my Sony rep, the decision was not theirs. Anyone been told differently??

What towns are you talking about 15 miles apart?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction