Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Let's celebrate T3 in 3D!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D!

Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 30 Jun 2011 17:48 #36585

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
The EVENT 3 D movie that proves 3D can be worthwhile
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 17:20 #36591

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
I notice that no one is coming forth to celebrate the big hit 3 D movie. Is is not as much fun as trashing 3 D movies?
CGM

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 18:56 #36593

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
CGM,
Maybe not everybody sees it this way. The movie made about 30% LESS than Transformers 2 (which was only in 2D) the first day. The 60% revenue 3D made is impressive, but inflated by the 2 hrs headstart 3D theaters had. Let's just wait a couple of weeks or at least until the weekend is over before you celebrate.
Jay
P.S. Nobody has asked me if we show the movie in the 3D. Nobody.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 19:21 #36594

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Same here we reciently converted to digital and we have not had people begging for 3D. We had a good mightnight show in 2D and think it was very unfair to let the 3D play at 9.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 19:34 #36595

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
So far I am happy with my 3d performance. My numbers are pretty good and customers are liking the movie and the 3d in it.

A year from now if I am in this business still I will play every movie possible in 2d& 3d because the demand is there for both.

Interesting how most, if not all, detractors do not offer 3d. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 19:56 #36596

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
Rufusjack says:
"Interesting how most, if not all, detractors do not offer 3d. Hmmmmmmmm..... "

Good point, very good point.

CGM

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 21:47 #36599

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Interesting how most, if not all, detractors do not offer 3d. Hmmmmmmmm...

Why would anyone invest in or offer a technology one things is flawed and a fad to begin with?
Vice versa it is much more interesting. Let's find somebody that defends 3D that hasn't spend thousands already.

Jay

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 01 Jul 2011 22:30 #36601

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I HOPE EVERYONE MAKES A LOT OF CASH IN 2D OR 3D TRANSFORMERS... The studio has all but begged theaters to play 3 d to try to save the fad. I do believe this is the correct pic for 3d and if we saw 3 or 4 of these a year 3D would be around a good while. But alas greed will push future 3d to be nonexistent.
Last Edit: 01 Jul 2011 22:31 by slapintheface.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 05 Jul 2011 13:01 #36611

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
I'm not really interested in "celebrating" failure of anything in my industry and in the way we all make our living. I am however very attentive to trends. Yesterday at a picnic I asked a good sized group of people (mostly moms) what they thought of 3-D. I had just met them for the first time and somehow movies had come up... maybe my sister... and there was not one person who preferred or liked 3-d other than "occasionally." One mom said her kids equated 3-D with movies that weren't good and needed tech to boost it.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 05 Jul 2011 16:57 #36612

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I am not a detractor just don't have enought screens to put in 3D and 2d for the same film. If I had 10 screens I would have opened Transformers in 3D and 2d but with three screens I had to pick either open all movies that have a 3D option in 3D or just stick with 2D. I polled my cusomers and the majority wasnted to stay with 2D and would not come to the 3D. So I did have demand but not as much as those who voted to stay 2D and I would have lost a large customer base. The issues most mentioned was not price but other things they did not like about 3D. Before the poll I had intended to convert all 3 screens to 3D so I would not have to move a movie from 3D one week to 2D the next and confuse my customers. After the poll I don't have that confusion. Now I just have to get the last auditorium converted to 7.1 sound so I don't have that to deal with.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 05 Jul 2011 18:48 #36613

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Spoken 'tongue in cheek'...

Not one person asked if I'd be showing the movie in 3D. For that matter, Nobody asks that about any of the films I play here...

... at my drive-in! :woohoo:

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 06 Jul 2011 16:52 #36616

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Keweler wrote:

Why would anyone invest in or offer a technology one things is flawed and a fad to begin with?
Vice versa it is much more interesting. Let's find somebody that defends 3D that hasn't spend thousands already.

Jay

3D is not a "flawed" technology. If you think so, please seek out an original 3 D movie(not a converted movie) in a correctly installed digital 3 D auditorium. Digital 3 D technology should not be compared to the old film 3D presentations of the 1950's or the attempted revivals with Jaws 3 D or the Nightmare on Elm Street.
3 D should be an attempt to have a handful of great movies (I think called "event pictures" elsewhere on this forum) in a manner than can't be enjoyed at home.
We should be embracing this format not trashing it. Rufusjack has it right.
AllenD
Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011 23:50 by AllenD.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 06 Jul 2011 17:50 #36617

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
I'm happy to embrace anything that puts people in the seats enjoying films. Here's the problems as I see it...

1. the fact that people like pizza does not mean they want to eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner. There is too much 3-D.
2, the distribs are waging war on theatre owners pressuring them to play "their" 3-D film with very real consequences if they do not. If you think this isn't a problem you have not been on the end of that stick.
3. our customers either do not care about 3-D or care not to have it if given a choice.

When you add all this up you can see why there's a problem and it is not because of theatre owners who just spent many tens of millions of dollars embracing 3-D. If it is such a great thing why is there a discussion going on? The answer is because there's a plethora of problems with 3-D.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 06 Jul 2011 17:51 by Mike.

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 06 Jul 2011 17:57 #36618

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
1. I agree that there are too many 3 D movies, as do most of the people who have written on these forums. That will change.
2. Some distributors are being a bit rough, but (for instance) T3 has been a great 3 D movie and will have legs.
3. There is so much discussion because those who haven't yet gone to 3 D or digital are afraid for the wrong reasons.
The future will be hard, but good even for small town folks (small towns, not itt bitty towns) when it all shakes out. We must embrace and be part of the future or be left behind.
AllenD

Re: Let's celebrate T3 in 3D! 06 Jul 2011 19:46 #36620

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
IF you have NOT been playing any movies in 3d, your customers will probably be not terribly in favor for it. In the case of Dave, they can drive 10 mins and see the movies in 3d if they want to. If you do NOT have 3d, the customers who like 3d are not coming to you right now. There is a demand for both formats right now.

Sony started letting theaters split 3d and 2d shows on the same screen with Green Lantern. Paramount has done so with Panda 2, and I saw Cars 2 being split as well. So, you do not need 2 screens to play both 2d & 3d. I expect this to become the norm.

Studios have always wielded pressure to get screen space. This is no different. I found both WB and Par to be very good to work with on this summer's 3d releases. At least no different than before.

Mike, Have you experienced yourself problems booking 3d screens? Do you have 3d screens that you book?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction