Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby been threatened by a film distributor?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: been threatened by a film distributor?

been threatened by a film distributor? 10 Jun 2011 22:45 #36447

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I am hearing theatres pulling 3-D rather than be threatened by distribs desperate to grab and hold a screen for their 3-D vs. their competition.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 11 Jun 2011 02:13 #36449

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Good for them Mike. I've said for some time exhibs need to take back control of their theatres from the distribs. For sometime the distribs have tried to force exhibs to program their theatres the way the distribs want to program them. We are perfectly capable of knowing what will succeed in out communities.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 11 Jun 2011 17:34 #36454

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yah... I'm hearing about some of that stuff on this side of the country, too.

One owner, who has a single 3D theatre and a 3-screen separate property (all 2D) was denied a first-run show at the multi because he wouldn't kick the 3D show out of his single and put it there.

However, I have a hunch that these stories will be blown up way out of proportion. It's like airplane vs car accidents. 2 states away, a car driver can have a heart attack & plow into a tree, killing 3 people. You'll never hear about it. However, have a small plane drop out of the sky and land in a cowfield, killing only the pilot, and it's front-page news.

The 3D proponents are all worried about the financial returns on their recent offerings. Everyone out there has an opinion as to why 3D isn't meeting expectations. Whatever the reason, it looks like it's putting pressure on the salespeople to get every screen they can, and that might result in some of them pressuring the smaller exhibitors. Somehow, I kind of doubt they'd getting away with that kind of approach toward bigger operators.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 19 Jun 2011 18:40 #36524

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Paramount continues its discrimination against 2D theatres.

First with "Super 8" they allowed the 3D IMAX theatres to open the picture a day before everyone else. It was sold on the spin that they were "trying to get the word out with positive word of mouth" [IMHO if they really wanted to 'get the word out' you have a FREE PREVIEW at regular theatres].

Now Paramount has dropped all pretext. They are allowing both 3D and IMAX theatres to open Transformers 3 for 9PM shows on Tues June 28th at 9:00PM while all other theatres must wait until Midnigth on June 29th for the first show.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 19 Jun 2011 19:24 #36525

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Unless you're next door to an IMAX or 3D theatre I don't think a few hours or a few days is going to make any difference.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 19 Jun 2011 19:26 #36526

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
OK... so you're talking about a 3 hour head start... one performance?

The studios are all worked up about the recent declines of their latest cash cow. Transformers is expected to be one of the best 3D pix of the year. The studios have long been known for taking full advantage of their best stuff, so this shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

-J

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 20 Jun 2011 15:24 #36530

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't know how they can make rules by format and not by title. Will the big 3 put up with this when Pirates did more business in 2D for them than 3D? If I were them I would want to play it on all formats at 9.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 20 Jun 2011 17:15 #36531

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I am glad I am 3d on it. Will do 3-4x more business than a midnight show and I get to go to bed earlier.

Dave, the fans that are going to see it will shell out the extra $$ instead of waiting 3 hours. The big 3 will not care as they will make more $$ because there is no way they are paying $.50 to Reald.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 02:58 #36540

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Paramount Making Too Many 3D Demands?

By NIKKI FINKE | Wednesday June 22, 2011 @ 4:59pm PDT
Tags: 3D, Michael Bay, Paramount Pictures, Transformers: Dark of the Moon

COMMENTS 21
Just how pushy is Paramount with theater owners on Transformers 3? Well, The New York Times has this interesting detail today: that Michael Bay last week called the chief executives of major theater chains to implore them to show Transformers: Dark Of The Moon in a way that burns out projector bulbs more quickly but makes 3D look brighter and sharper. That's because there's been a continuing problem that "the darkness of 3D is starting to impact movie satisfaction," media analyst Rich Greenfield tells me. "This was a key problem with Pirates 3D, with both Green Lantern and Harry Potter starting off with darker imagery and then layering on 3D glasses that darken the images further."

Last week was also when Paramount told theaters they have to play the pic in 3D next Tuesday night for the early screenings to spread buzz or they can't play the film at all. I hear the company line has been “Michael Bay is insisting on the Digital presentation”. Or is this really all about numbers and Paramount's screwing Disney and Warner Bros on their 3D dates? Case in point. Paramount won’t even accept the 35mm Technicolor 3D release prints if theaters have the Digital in house. And the studio is telling theaters it's a four-week minimum in their Digital theater. This strategy succeeds in keeping Pixar's Cars 2 out of some digital runs, which will cut back the grosses while forcing Warner Bros' Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows Part 2 out of 3D dates as well.

"And watch, miraculously on July 22nd, Paramount will open those screens up to get Captain America opened on as many 3D screens as they can," a source tells me. "Instead of working together on the 3D situation where the public is seemingly growing apathetic, Paramount takes the 'every man for himself' attitude. Real smart. That’s why exhibitors are going to take every opportunity to dump all over them when they can. Watch what happens in November. In a four-week span you have seven films from different studios all jockeying for 3D. Paramount’s line will be 'Katzenberg [Puss N Boots] & Scorsese [Hugo Cabret] are insisting on Digital theaters' and the other five will be beating their brains out to get whatever dates they can. Should be fun to watch."

Asked for comment, Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore would say only this about his studio's 3D strategy: "The best thing for 3D was Avatar giving people a spectacular 3D experience. The goodwill towards 3D lasted just over a year. Transformers 3 can give 3D the shot in the arm. That's what would be great for 3D and the industry." However, Greenfield points out that, despite Warner Bros marketing muscle, 2D ticket sales have been outpacing 3D ticket sales for the upcoming Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 based on the live “top sellers” data on the Pulse section of Fandango’s iPad app. Tickets went on sale recently and its 2D tickets are in the top 5, but not its 3D tickets.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 13:24 #36541

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I think we are seeing the beginning of a colossal debacle.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 16:33 #36542

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
So... Michael Bay wants theaters to crank up the power supply to burn bulbs at a higher wattage. Sounds like he didn't do his job correctly if he created a film that was too dark for what he expected to be his medium... 3D digital projection. How about theaters just show his movie in 2D so they won't have to deal with the problem by spending more on bulbs? With the current trend, 2D will probably be the favored presentation anyway. I guess nobody is ready to give in to that yet, so darkening bulbs it may be.

Then the next movie comes along and it will get darker and darker, until somebody changes the bulb. From the lumen numbers I've read, it will take a huge increase in wattage to compensate for the darker 3D, if you want to get it back to the level without 3D. If your system has that much excess capacity to make the compensation, just how fast are those bulbs going to go dark?

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 21:11 #36545

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
It is business as usual in my talks with the studios regarding my 1 3d screen. Paramount is doing exactly the same thing that Disney did last year with Toy Story. Remember, last year; Despicable Me was shut out of some 3d screens. In the spring of 2010 the same situation occurred with Titans/Alice/& Train a Dragon.

I happen to believe these stories are being sensationalized to fit the theme of 3d is dead.

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 21:28 #36547

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
3D -- IS DEAD -

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 21:29 #36548

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
RANTS, RAVES & RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO
The studios keep pushing their headache-inducing 3D movies down our throats in a desperate attempt to revive the "golden-egg-laying goose" they have all but killed by substandard presentation, outrageously greedy "surcharges", and draconian tactics to the exhibitors.
To greatly paraphrase Abraham Lincoln: You can lead the moviegoers to 3D, but you can't make them like it (as long as so many of them are putrid wastes of money).

You, Avon movie-goers, know that for a short and agonizing period we actually did have 3D!
3D is a process that, in a very appropriate single word, is: DUMB.
They day we finally rebelled and ripped that 3D stuff out of our projection booth was a VERY happy day, indeed!
(And, it got us national publicity!)
Now, YOU have a chance to help put an end to all this 3D nonsense!
YOU actually have a voice in all this hoo-hah!
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET!!

The studios are carefully watching the 3D admissions of TRANSFORMERS 3 and the next (and last) HARRY POTTER episode later in July to see if 3D is on the way OUT or not!
DON'T SEE THE 3D VERSIONS!!
STICK WITH THE SUPERIOR PICTURE 2D VERSIONS!!
By doing so, you will send a message to the studios that you are sick and tired of all this malarkey!
Maybe, just maybe, Hollywood will then get back to concentrating on just making good movies instead of obnoxious, over-priced eye-candy!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
By the way, TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS are BAAAAAACK!!
All Shows on Tuesday only $4.50!! You heard right! $4.50!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: been threatened by a film distributor? 23 Jun 2011 21:30 #36549

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
THE ABOVE IS FROM A THEATER IN THE MID WEST SENT TO HIS CUSTOMERS
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction