Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby how is the summer shaping up?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how is the summer shaping up?

how is the summer shaping up? 07 Jun 2011 14:46 #36421

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Kung Fu- great reviews but so so response from kids
Hangover: huge open and seems to be without legs
X Men a super hero too far?
Pirates: good
Super 8: they seem to have dropped ads for it
transformers...

Still too early to say but I don't think the 2nd Q has rescued us from the first Q as yet. How does it look to you folks? M
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 08 Jun 2011 01:30 #36426

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
National Numbers are strong for the 2nd quarter:

April +5.5%
May +14%

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 22 Jun 2011 12:53 #36538

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Super 8 a big disappointment. How is the summer shaping up?
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 23 Jun 2011 21:49 #36550

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
June looks to be about flat as of now. Which seems to be what the theaters in my area are doing as well.

For us, we have horrible comps as Shrek 4 was our best movie all-time by 55%! We were first to our immediate market with 3d so our numbers were huge for it.

Nationally the next 4 weeks will be tough but should be flat. To me it seems we have better quality of movies July 15-Aug 15th this year than a year ago. Will people have any money left to spend??

Lets not talk about September and October though. (chills going down my spine)

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 04 Jul 2011 13:25 #36608

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Nationally June was -5%. Toy Story 3 was tough to compete with for one.

We were -8%. Toy Story 3, and Shrek still was doing strong in June of 2010 for us.

My small peers that I track through Rentrak (all 3-6 screen locations-no duds IMHO) were -19%. My bigger main 8-plex competitor was flat because they have 3d this year and did not last year.

The largest theater in my area (within 30-40 miles) was down 15% and they have been 100% digital since Dec. 2009. Remember Gene's claim of 20%+ first year comps for all digital conversions????? attribute that to interest in 3d which as we have seen will decrease over time.

However, the larget theater in the KC area was up 12% for June. This is a flagship theater of one of the big boys. I have no idea why this theater was up.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 04 Jul 2011 17:27 #36609

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
It's been a good year and so far a great summer.

Keep in mind that I'm sub-run, no digital and no 3D.I have not raised any ticket prices over what they were last year... they remain at $3.00 for all seats at all times. All increases in grosses represent increases in admissions, not due to price increases.

For the first 6 months of this year I am up 6.6% in boxoffice gross, and 17% in concession sales. I don't understand the huge increase in concession as there have been no price increases there either.

For the summer, and remember for sub-runs summer doesn't start until June as we play a month behind the first runs, box office was up 72.6% and concession was up 43% for the month of June. However, to be fair that is a little misleading as June this year had 5 movie weeks and last year only had 4 movie weeks. We do our books based on the number of movie weeks that end in a particular month. If we lop off the final week and give just the first 4 weeks grosses for June then we would be up 28.6% in box office and 9.2% in concession. Still way ahead of the industry in general.

So why is this? The recession, of course. People are looking for bargains. You don't raise your prices during bad economic times, but first run theatres continued to do so. If theatres hadn't raised their prices they would still have seen no increases, but their decreases would have been less. As Muviebuf often says on posts here: "Whenever you raise prices, you always lose admissions". Usually to the point that there is no gain because even if the box office grosses go up slightly, less admissions translates into less people to buy refreshments.

Actually I'm delighted every time the first runs put their prices up, as it continues to send me more new customers. You all know the industry figures for the year, and which way they are going, and now you know mine. As the old saying goes, the proof is in the pudding.
Last Edit: 04 Jul 2011 17:30 by RoxyVaudeville.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 04 Jul 2011 17:39 #36610

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Well Roxy ol' buddy, I shall continue to watch and admire you. You are one of the few who has his head on straight when it comes to how to run a theatre. It appears I will not be given the opportunity to become active in the business again so I will live vicariously through you and others like you.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 20 Jul 2011 16:58 #36691

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
While Roxy continues to flourish at $3.00 all seats one of his nearest competitors The Regal Saucon Valley 10 - with a ticket price of $10.00 - just closed it doors.

www.mcall.com/business/mc-allentown-rega...0718,0,5927133.story

What makes this all the more significant is that the Lehigh Valley PA area has not only historically been noted to be acknowledged as a big movie going area but also the market is still rather underscreened.

And just a couple of weeks earlier the single screen Boyd Theatre in downtown Bethlethem PA (which was the closest competitor to the Saucon Valley 10) also closed it doors probably for good.

Boyd in Bethtlehem Closes
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011 19:32 by muviebuf.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 30 Jul 2011 15:58 #36754

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
July update (first 28 days)

Nationally: +5%, last 2 weeks +25%!!

In my neck of the woods (KC area):
small peers (the best 3-6 screens) +10%
Large multi's (most 100% digital): +9%
my main 8-plex recent 3d enable competitor: +18%
us: +21%
I am pleased with our results especially since we jammed on Despicable ME in 3d (2nd highest all time) last year (our main comp had not gotten 3d yet). We do have 4 vs 3 screens so that has helped us play more movies.

This weekend has started very well and the next 2 weeks look very good. Unfortunately the next 4 after that look bad as always.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 18 Aug 2011 16:40 #36840

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
The biggest school and the last major school in our area started school today so far us our summer is over. Happy for the 12-15 hour days to be over, but unfortunately the $$$ will be crap the next 2 months.

Time Period: 5/6 - 8/17
Nationally: +4%, (August to date - flat)

My small peer group: +4%, with a range of +1% to +11%
The big guy group: (mostly all digital) +9% with a range of -4% to +27%. The top three performing theaters in this group are large places with 20+ screens offering multiple viewing options (2d,3d,premium) of the same movie. Hmmmmmm............These were up +20% or more beating the national market by 16% points. Why are theaters moving toward premium options??????? Customers want it????

Us: We added 3d last summer and saw huge numbers from our 3d movies. We were up 2% this summer. Which may seem a bit so-so, but looking at the numbers in more detail, I am still pleased. Our main competitor has not had 3d for a full year and they were up +17%. So we had no competitive advantage like we did last year. Our top 5 movies this year (Harry Potter, Cars 2, transformers, Panda 2, & Smurfs) underperformed last year's top 5 (Shrek 4, Despicable Me, Toy Story 3, Twilight, & Cats & Dogs 2 (I told you 3d was big for us last year)) by 36%!!! Nationally those did 3.8% better. 3d was huge for us when we were the only one having it.

BTW, I spent approx. 40 mins calculating this using Rentrak and Boxoffice.com.

Re: how is the summer shaping up? 18 Aug 2011 18:01 #36841

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Now with summer quickly coming to a close, I can give a better overview of the summer business scenario.

For the period from May 27th, Memorial Day weekend, through August 18th, my Box Office is up 35% in both admissions and receipts as there have been no price increases. This has been my best summer ever. Year to date when compared to last year shows a 17.6% increase.

As a sub-run I still have a fair amount of decent product from the summer that I haven't had time to play yet. I therefore expect the fall to be better than normal as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Time will tell.
Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011 18:02 by RoxyVaudeville.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction