Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby how small a town have you lived in?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how small a town have you lived in?

how small a town have you lived in? 14 Apr 2011 18:48 #35742

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
My home town is 6700 people in a county of 38000. We have 4 traffic lights in town. The next traffic light is 30 miles. The nearest interstate is 50 miles away. There are towns near to us with 400-500 in the entire town. The largest city in Maine: population 68,000 is 100 miles away. The state capital has 38,000 in it. I grew up 5 miles from the GW bridge in NJ and have lived in NYC, Tampa, Boston and traveled the world a bit. I am completely at ease in urban centers. I do not think anything prepares you for life in a small town other than actually living there and doing so for a number of years. You can visit a city and "get it" a whole lot easier than living in urban / suburban areas and thinking you "get" small town life. My point here is that we have people from all over but I do note that when someone has never lived in a small town they should really not think they know what they're talking about. It's similar to a guy owning a 1 screen advising a multiplex in Vegas how to run his theatre. There is a limit to our comprehension of others realities.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 14 Apr 2011 18:54 #35743

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Not that we shouldn't all give our opinions on whatever the subject. That's what we're all here for. But keep it on the humble side. It's hard to know what others are really experiencing.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 14 Apr 2011 23:47 #35744

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I managed a successful single-screener in a town of 2200.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 15 Apr 2011 11:03 #35749

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
When I was a boy, I lived in towns of 300 and 200. We drove into the nearby county seat which had about 15,000 for shopping and other needs.

Since then, I have lived in the Detroit, MI metro area, and in the Jacksonville, FL area. Both of those qualified as big enough cities to drive me crazy in traffic. Yes, Jacksonville has traffic. That metro area is over one million people, as is Detroit with several million more. It often took me 45 minutes to drive the 8 miles to work. (Mike, I've been to 5 Points, but I can't say that I am familiar with the theater you worked with there.)

I like small town life. Now, I live in a metro area of about 250,000 and it's not bad, either.

I operated a twin cinema in a town that has about 3,500 in town, 10-12 thousand in the zip code, and 20,000 in the county. 20 miles to the north is a city of about 40,000. We were about an hour and half from Tulsa. Oklahoma City was probably 30 minutes farther, and Dallas was a few hours more than that.

The town where my theater was located had a song written about it by hometown girl, Carrie Underwood. The lyrics say, "There's a little single stoplight town..." And that was true until shortly after we moved there, when they put up the second stoplight. The new Wal-Mart Super Center caused a need for a second one.

lionheart
owner - Gentry Cinema
Checotah, Oklahoma
(for sale)

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 15 Apr 2011 20:48 #35751

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
My town is less then fifteen hundred people. We are the county seat of a county with no stoplights. We are the only theater in the county and for us, the "big city" is a half hour drive to a town of 6500. We are in between three cities about an hour and a half drive away, the largest being about 125K. We live above the theater and everything in the downtown is a very short walk away. The grocery, the post office, the dry cleaner, three restaurants, three bars, the library, a coffee shop, two gas stations, the hardware store, numerous shops, the pharmacy, city hall and the county courthouse are all within two blocks away. We can literally go weeks without driving anywhere.
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 15 Apr 2011 21:11 by leeler.

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 16 Apr 2011 19:20 #35752

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
as we begin the digital cinema (see how all things come back to the same subject) and we find the cost/bennies ratio being really stressed what's clear is that all larger markets will be 100% digital in a short few years. The big question is what happens to the smaller markets that cannot meet the VPF requirements of having opened 85% of distributors films. There must be 500-1000 1-2-3 screens spread across USA and Camada. Is it true: AOD? Adapt or die? Seems pretty catastrophic for what has been a small town way of life for nearly 100 years.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 16 Apr 2011 20:46 #35754

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I signed the Cinedigm NDA so I can't go into details but I can tell you I just received my first statement for "weekly VPFs" and that I'm pleased with the results. This small town theater isn't going away
"What a crazy business"

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 17 Apr 2011 00:34 #35757

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Just think what good could come out of this if someone was allowed to talk about Leeler's case as a great way for this movement to help everyone!!!

NATO-CBG would gain members, Cinedign would gain more clients, studios would make more money......

Why not?????? What does NATO/CBG/Cinedign have to lose by broadcasting Leeler's success???

What am I missing here?

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 17 Apr 2011 04:36 #35759

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
What are you missing? The lawyers, of course!

Everybody is afraid of "letting the cat out of the bag" and letting people in on some secret that they "shouldn't know". this is all crazy but I'm sure not gonna be the guy that hits the hornets nest with a stick...

Let me ask you this....
Can't it be good enough that when I say "I'm pleased with the results" that you can infer that I think the Cinedigm weekly VPF deal is a good one and if it is possible, you should get in on it? Or, if that isn't good enough, go to your regional NATO/CBG conference and ask lots of questions of the people there. They will tell you it as well. If you have the means, you should do it....even if we can't tell you how much you're gonna get
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011 04:37 by leeler.

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 17 Apr 2011 15:56 #35761

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
that's what a "non disclosure agreement" (NDA) is all about. And if you were to disclose I don't think posting it publicly would be a brilliant move.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 17 Apr 2011 15:57 #35762

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Keep in mind there are people who belong to CBG who are choosing to go with other integrators/ installers. There are options.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 18 Apr 2011 01:48 #35765

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Mike wrote:
Keep in mind there are people who belong to CBG who are choosing to go with other integrators/ installers. There are options.

How true. We were CBG members for enough time to determine that their plan wasn't for us. I'm also in a larger area, so the factors that effect me are certainly different than what a smaller area would experience.

We're fortunate that we'll be able to "do our own thing"... even more so, being a 3-screen seasonal drive-in.

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 18 Apr 2011 02:42 #35766

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Leeler,

We are different totally different situations is why.

As of right now at $1000 a month per screen, that is more than 15% of my gross revenue. That is much to swallow at this point.

Also, Missouri is not in a regional. I guess no one wants are great state.

Re: how small a town have you lived in? 18 Apr 2011 10:34 #35768

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
then go to a different regional one. come to the one in Minneapolis this week. I go to ones outside of my region. maybe they can tell you how to start one in your region or, better yet, become affiliated with another regional. looks like there is a regional in Illinois by themselves or there is MN/IA/ND/SD to the north or the TX/OK/AR/LA one to the south.

as far as the 1000/month goes, I understand it is a difficult pill to swallow, believe me, I swallowed it with great difficulty. But if you get a decent VPF program (and I'm not saying the CBG one is the only or even the best one available) then it will greatly be offset by those payments, which is the idea of the program in the first place. So, get in your car and make your way to a regional. the Minneapolis one is here this week. www.ncnato.org/home.html
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction