Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby New distribution model which favors theaters!!!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New distribution model which favors theaters!!!

New distribution model which favors theaters!!! 01 Dec 2010 00:07 #34927

• JMike
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,
I'm an independent producer working on a new distribution model which will favor theaters more so than current distribution deals. However, before I take this show on the road I need to make sure my research is sound. I figured there was no better way than to ask theater owners directly so a few questions if you please:

1) what amount of the box office do theaters usually get to keep in the first couple of weeks on small/medium budget movies such as Hustle and Flow, Juno, 500 Days of Summer etc.?

2) Would theaters be willing to work with an independent production company directly? If so what percentage of box office would be necessary to entice this kind of relationship?

3) How much, on average, does it cost a theater in expenses to show a film?

4) What, in your opinion, are the downfalls of independent distribution from a theater owners perspective?

Thanks so much for your time. If you are interested in my theories and turning the distribution tide in favor of the theaters please contact me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - JMike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New distribution model which favors theaters!!! 01 Dec 2010 02:04 #34928

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
1) One the break 50-55%. After 3-4 weeks 35%.
2) IMHO, the problem will lie in the marketing for the movie. Unfortunately in most situations a great movie on good word of mouth still does not amount to much in box office revenue. It is very expensive to generate awareness. In my situation I would be reluctant to work with a producer because of this.
3) Not exactly sure what you are asking.
4) See the answer in #2.

Good luck. What you are trying to accomplish is very challenging.

Re:New distribution model which favors theaters!!! 01 Dec 2010 13:48 #34930

• JMike
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify question #3. I meant what is the average agreed upon "nut" to cover the theater's expenses.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction