Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Skipping the movie theater altogether?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Skipping the movie theater altogether?

Skipping the movie theater altogether? 09 Nov 2010 11:46 #34853

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
The movie theater experience is not for everyone, but people who want to see a new film when is released generally have to make the trek to see it on the big screen.

Now, though, Time Warner may be coming out with a service that will give premium video-on-demand to consumers, offering them the chance to see movies while they are in theaters in their very own home, according to Yahoo News.

The catch? Although Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes did not discuss price points, industry reports indicate access to these "premium" films might run anywhere from $30 to $50 each.

Studios have been trying to find ways to increase profits during a time when more people are getting their movies via services like Netflix. Giving moviegoers the opportunity to skip the theater and see the film in their own home may be just the trick.

Studios' rationale is that the cost of premium video-on-demand films for home viewing will appeal to home movie watchers looking for family entertainment: although the cost might be prohibitive for a movie fan who wants to watch an art-house picture in the middle of the night, a family of four enjoying some rated-G or rated-PG fare in the comfort of their own living room might be getting off cheap. Movie theater tickets are now routinely $10 apiece: after parking and oh-so-expensive theater snacks, a high-prices video-on-demand version of a movie still in theaters might have a strong appeal.

The service could launch by summer 2011.

ktar.com/category/local-news-articles/20...-theater-altogether/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Skipping the movie theater altogether? 10 Nov 2010 14:04 #34854

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Time Warner: the geniuses who bought AOL. These guys will kill the golden goose but they'll all make millions
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Skipping the movie theater altogether? 10 Nov 2010 15:50 #34855

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
VOD is still a picture on the tube and is no match for a well run theatre presentation. It's our job to make that presentation and service the best available and to promote it. You can't beat the "theatre experience" with a "home theatre".
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Skipping the movie theater altogether? 10 Nov 2010 19:46 #34860

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
"The movie theater experience is not for everyone, but people who want to see a new film when is released generally have to make the trek to see it on the big screen."

The above opening statement has a lot in it that makes me want to beat it with a big stick. 1. Not for everyone? Neither is going to college or viewing art in a museum. 2. people who want to see a new fim GENERALLY have to make the trek... omg. Is it just me that feels my hair catching fire. Well no... they don't have to "generally" ... they can sit at home and steal it with the help of pirates. I'm going home.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction