Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!...

can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 31 Jul 2010 01:04 #34412

• DanielR
  • Fresh Boarder
i want to open a movie store/movie swag/theater type place...your standerd movie store that rents and sales movies.. but also sells realy awsome movie swag.. but also have a one or maybe two screen theater in the back.. and have screenings of older more cult like movies... but i have no idea where to start... or if its even a good idea.... can some one help me out... ill take watever advice i can get... thanx.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 31 Jul 2010 02:34 #34413

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
DanielR wrote:
i want to open a movie store/movie swag/theater type place...your standerd movie store that rents and sales movies.. but also sells realy awsome movie swag.. but also have a one or maybe two screen theater in the back.. and have screenings of older more cult like movies... but i have no idea where to start... or if its even a good idea.... can some one help me out... ill take watever advice i can get... thanx.

The movie rental stores are having a tough time of it these days (Hollywood went bankrupt). Perhaps you should consider opening a theatre and selling or renting DVDs in the lobby. You will not be able to legally screen any films for public showing (whether or not you charge admission) without making arrangements with the distributor of those films and paying the rental fee. The place to start is to survey your community to determine what is needed. After you have done that and if there is a need you can fill then there are many who post on this site who can give you the guidance you need. BTW I started in this business in 1946 and have never heard the term "movie swag". What does it mean?
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2010 15:12 by revrobor.

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 31 Jul 2010 14:09 #34414

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
READ --READ --READ---THIS SITE ---HAS LOTS OF GOOD INFO!

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 02 Aug 2010 06:28 #34416

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Bob, I haven't heard the term "swag" too many times myself, but it's not a movie business term... just general slang. I think it probably means knick knacks, brick-a-brack, gift items, or merchandise of any kind that he could sell to make a profit. He might be thinking anything from t-shirts to actual movie props.

Correct me if I'm wrong, DanielR.
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2010 06:29 by lionheart.

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 02 Aug 2010 10:56 #34417

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Swag is normally slang for free stuff we get at conventions. So I think in this case he does mean movie related items and collectables.

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 02 Aug 2010 23:42 #34419

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
You're right guys. I just talked to my son and two of his friends (from the younger generation) and they said we might call it memorabilia.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:can somebody help... !!...!!...!!!... 06 Aug 2010 01:53 #34428

• DanielR
  • Fresh Boarder
yes... what i ment was horror collectables... t shirts.. posters..stickers magnants.. action figures... this like that...
and i agree.. i didnt think about the movie store issue... everyones downloads nowdays,, so making money with a movie rental store wouldnt be all that good.... but the idea you had for mainly a theater... with a few movies in the lobby might not be a bad idea... but i think i should mainly focus on the movie theater part... and the horror merchandise... thanks alot guys... you've been great help... any more input would be greatly appreciated
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction