Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby General questions/help
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: General questions/help

General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 18:33 #34254

I am new to BSB and researching the various threads and posts here. So I thank you all in advance for the wealth of knowledge and assistance.

I have been skimming,reading and searching thread after thread and trying to get better acquainted with single screen operations but just wanted to throw a few questions out there...

What distance in miles between theaters is a min/max to consider them to be true direct competition?

Can a single screen house (first run) also run alternate films (first run or older)or are they limited to just being able to show 1 film. (ie an early PG showing and a later R film)?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 18:45 #34256

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Pockethealer. welcome to the forums. I have run a single screen for seven years now. Last December we went digital and have been experimenting since then with running splits (ie one show in the afternoon and one show in the evening). Overall it has been worth it and it allows us to play a much wider variety of movies then we were able to in the past. As I've been opening up a bunch of product recently we've gotten behind on the new releases and so I plan on doing plenty more splits this fall to get caught back up.

As far as distance between competitors goes I think you should doa search on the forums for clearances. That is the issue and I think it varies from area to area and even from studio to studio. I'm a little out of my element here, though as I am in the middle of nowhere. Rufus and Slap, isn't this a good question for you guys?
"What a crazy business"

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 18:58 #34257

The closest theater is a 6 screen 10 miles away. Any others are around 15 miles out. A total of 4 are within 20-30 minutes drive and are all first run multiplexes. This single screen was a small town set up and offered a family friendly atmosphere and a lower ticket prices much lower than the $9-$10 the bigger places charge.
Last Edit: 04 Jul 2010 19:27 by Pockethealer.

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 19:32 #34258

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
You probably be find as far as clearances go but the real question is why people will come to you? 10 miles in all but a urban areais not that far for patrons to go.

IMHO, s single screen may work if you have no competition. I would say at least 30 mins away.

If you show first-run films on the break (Eclipse right now) you will not be able to play anything else and will keep the movie at least 2 weeks (3 weeks for the bigger movies like Eclipse/Toy Story 3). If you decide to be more of a discount theater and run 3-4 weeks old, you could split.

Consumers are creatures of habit. If they are used to going to that 6 screen, that is where they will go to first.

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 21:12 #34262

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FIRST RUN ON THE BREAK YOU CAN NEVER SPLIT PRODUCT.... That being said coming in 3 or 4 weeks late on a film will often allow the luxury of splitting with a second film.

The main issue on clearance in a smaller market is not just miles but population .

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 22:33 #34266

Thank you..

I think if we offer a clean, comfortable experience with a friendly family oriented with superb customer service and a lower price on tickets and concessions (within reason)it would do well enough.

So as far a population goes how far in any one direction should be considered? I have checked the area population for surrounding towns in a 15 mile radius and there is about 79k.

More research and additional posts to come....
Last Edit: 04 Jul 2010 23:06 by Pockethealer.

Re:General questions/help 04 Jul 2010 23:43 #34270

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
if you have any booking questions e-mail me @ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or go to my web site --
furlingercinemaservices.com

Re:General questions/help 05 Jul 2010 14:11 #34276

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
10 miles in nYC is huge/ 10 miles in Maine and you are just getting up to speed. It's about population and not distance. Also: some states do not allow clearances by law
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:General questions/help 05 Jul 2010 15:26 #34278

I am in western NY near Buffalo and Rochester. ALl of the mainstream theaters charge $8-$10 a ticket and insane concessions.

Still wondering if 1st run would be better for this area or try to get more 3-4 week old films and have a variety with the option of being able to offer special midnight and matinee and event showings of older movies, classic or cult favs, or occasional marathon.

Any suggestions? And why?

Re:General questions/help 05 Jul 2010 22:12 #34282

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I BOOK A VERY GOOD THEATER IN THAT AREA---- THE AURORA

Re:General questions/help 05 Jul 2010 22:14 #34283

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
YOUR BEST BET IS TO BOOK 1 ST RUN AND FILMS 3 WEEKS OLD---COMBO--

Re:General questions/help 06 Jul 2010 07:57 #34284

Agreed they did a lot of nice work there at The Aurora.

Re:General questions/help 06 Jul 2010 11:26 #34289

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
The Aurora Theater is a good example of a single screen that could have some success because it is really cool. Great looking theater that is different than what most people see. Has a nice classic look to it.

IMHO, the theater Pockethealer is looking at lacks that coolness.

Re:General questions/help 06 Jul 2010 13:55 #34295

I see your point there. It does lack that nostalgic look.

I am still hoping to get a theater going but to start new ground up is just too much money. There aren't too many markets locally that don't already have multis all around. I still feel that if you offer a lower price ticket and concessions and a clean, friendly environment and a lot of hard work it could happen.

I know people that go to lower cost theaters and can take a family of 4 for about $20 for tickets. They prefer the savings versus a longer drive away and $4 more a head. Not to mention the cost of concessions.

Sadly most of those classic style theaters near us have been closed and/or demolished. Most recently in Mt. Morris NY the New Family.

www.flickr.com/photos/goodoldroute15/409...n/pool-38565675@N00/
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/29...7488/in/photostream/
www.agilitynut.com/05/8/newfam2.jpg

Over the last few months this was torn down.

Also nearby is the Park Theater in Avon, NY I missed out on that you can see a little about it on Cinema treasures. I am unable to reach the owner and was curious if the interior is still intact. It has great parking in the rear and the small quaint town appears to be getting a face lift and there are a lot of new small businesses popping up.

www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/2923678860/
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/2923678448/
americanclassicimages.com/Default.aspx?t...e=25&ProductID=30270
Last Edit: 06 Jul 2010 14:10 by Pockethealer.

Re:General questions/help 07 Jul 2010 08:38 #34305

YOUR BEST BET IS TO BOOK 1 ST RUN AND FILMS 3 WEEKS OLD---COMBO--

How is it you can have First Run and Older 3 week films if you cannot split on the first run? I assume I missed something. Could you give me a scenerio how this would work?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction