Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newspaper Movie Listings

Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 09:52 #33970

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
How about a poll-How many use newspapers to advertise movie listings today to somme extent?

a) never use
b) weekends and holidays and summer 7-days a week
c) weekends only
d) 7 days a week
e) other

We have been (d) as of late. My newspaper frustrates me. There are 4 theaters who advertise on weekends & holidays & all summer. Many times we will be above the fold in column 6 while the other bigger multiplexes will be below the fold in columns 1 & 2. We also want to buy a bigger ad to market 3d, but I almost hate to give them my money for not giving a damn about placement. Is it too much to ask to be located next to the bigger theaters?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 10:22 #33971

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
this has been a source of frustration for me as well. We only have weekly papers around here but they are relied upon pretty heavily for showtime info from our aging population that doesn't use computers much. Placement seems to be wherever they have a hole that needs filling by the size of ad I use. I've talked to them about it but they can't seem to make it happen very often at all and I've kind of given up bitching about it. Still irks me, though...

Hey, my 1000th post!
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 15 May 2010 10:23 by leeler.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 10:43 #33972

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Leeler,

I think in your case with a no other theater close to you, I would just save your $$ and not put an ad in the paper. That would be the best way to "bitch" at them IMHO.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 11:47 #33973

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
except "the other guys" are in my hometown paper. Can't be absent when they are advertising in my town. So, I go the other way and advertise in their hometown paper as well. It's not THAT much money to be in a weekly paper and even if it brings in only a handful of customers it's worth it. I have attached a copy of my upcoming ad. What do you think? It's what to do in the bigger markets that is the tough nut to crack. There the advertising is more expensive and it has more options with regards to frequency and placement.

What are some of you others doing with your ad?
Attachments:
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 15 May 2010 11:51 by leeler.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 11:53 #33974

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
here is the ad
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 15 May 2010 11:53 by leeler.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 12:56 #33975

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I think the ad is good. How many column inches is that?

so the theater 30 mins away advertises in your paper? Bummer. I agree that you need to advertise.

If you advertise in the bigger market, make sure you try to track where customers come from, so you know it if makes sense to do so and for the rest of us who may be in similar situations.

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 15 May 2010 13:09 #33976

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
That ad looks larger then lifesize, for some reason. don't know if when I converted it to a jpg if it resized it or something. It is a one column inch wide ad and four inch tall ad. It only costs $26 so I can't say I blame the bigger theater for advertising in it, but, like I said I advertise in their paper as well. Anyways, I know I have gotten some people over here from that area (they are in Wisconsin and we are in Iowa) and I am assuming they are seeing my ad in their paper but I don't know for sure.

That's the toughest part of advertising to me is how do you know if you're doing too much or not enough and how effective the advertising you are doing is.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Newspaper Movie Listings 18 May 2010 06:33 #33991

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
One way to get an idea about the effectiveness of your ads is to include some kind of coupon type offer as part of the ad. I ran ads in 3 area weekly papers, all owned by the same publisher. I had them include a line at the bottom that said, "***CLIP THIS AD FOR A FREE SMALL POPCORN***". As long as you can tell your ads apart, which isn't hard to do, then you can simply watch how many coupons come from each paper. You don't need to do this forever, just long enough to make your evaluation. Don't expect high redemption rates, but just compare how many come from each paper.

In the end, I realized that the free weekly paper wasn't bringing me any business, so I cancelled that one. Later I also cancelled one of the other two as well. They didn't cost much, but they were bringing me almost no business. My marquee was the most effective advertising tool that I had. Newspaper and web site came in a distant second and third.

I got rid of the local newspaper in my town and kept advertising in the one in the next town over. The locals would read the marquee as they passed my location in the center of town, so they didn't need the paper much. The free paper went out to everyone, but it must have been thrown away by everyone rather than read, based on the redemption rate. It was almost all advertising anyway, so why should someone read it?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction