Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby The End of movie theatres???
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The End of movie theatres???

The End of movie theatres??? 07 May 2010 19:32 #33904

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds like they want direct-to-tv on secure hi-def cable or satellite BEFORE DVD release. Article here:

tinyurl.com/353h2qo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 07 May 2010 20:24 #33905

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Is it is disgusting what is happening! On demand on Time warner has all IFC films available on the day of release for a mere 5.99. They had a premiere on demand of Survival of the Dead for 9.99 almost a month before it is released in the theatre on May 28th.
Why are they doing this because people are lazy and it is also cheaper! But so much is lost!
Also film is fast becoming a thing of the past. Major chains are in full swing of eliminating 35 mm film and installing all Digital. It is happening quickly now because of Avatar and How to Train your dragon. They proved 3D and digital are bringing them in.
In NY union projectionist are getting laid off because if they have digital projectors throughout the cinema managers are able to do the work.
But this subject is ...The End of Movie theatres? I don't think so but it is the end of the way we view films!
:(

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 08 May 2010 13:13 #33911

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
When discussing the death of the movie theatre people seem to forget the "theatre going experience" that most movie-goers want. I have found that, generally, people are tired of sitting at home to watch movies or TV. We will not ever see an end to the theatres. If attendance dips it will be because of high prices and lousy stories. The technology alone will not guarantee success. We need to make the entire "theatre going experience" as enjoyable as possible.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 08 May 2010 14:02 #33912

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
.....and dvd sales are "dead" because the theatres are going out of business? I don't think so. I'm with Bob. I think the development sucks but the basic thing is this: not enough will watch movies at home to make much of a di9fference to theatres because as they do so it will kill the film due to how they will suck due to being shown in a home and to how little people will actually watch the thing. Lots of movies wouldn't keep your interest at home and that'll be that. I think the distribs are deperate due to decline in dvd and they'll try anything. Exposing the film to home viewing will overexpose the films and it won't work.

People do not go to our theatres just because there's a film there or that they will actually suspend disbelief (try that at home)there is also an entire social dna you do not receive at home.

Last time I checked people still go out to eat even though they have a perfectly good kitchen.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 08 May 2010 21:53 #33913

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Well said Mike! They keep doing all these things but people are still flocking to the cinema! No matter what they will keep coming.

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 08 May 2010 23:46 #33914

• BWT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike said it best.

The bottom line is that since most films do the substantial majority of their revenue in the first 4-6 weeks of release, it really doesn't harm the exhibitor on the margin unless it's a film like Avatar which runs at ridiculous levels for 14+ weeks on end.

The DVD release window has been shrinking in small increments for years and hasn't killed theaters yet. You name it: broadcast TV in the 1950s, VCRs, DVD players, video on demand, etc -- these were all theater-killers at one time or another. The Great Depression and multiple recessions haven't been able to do it yet and I doubt anything short of some technological innovation like a holodeck from Star Trek is going to displace the movie theater as an escape to catch a good film.

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 09 May 2010 10:53 #33916

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Somehow, "dead" isn't the word I'd be looking for, either. "Different", maybe, but even then, it's a little early to nail the coffin.

I'm probably among the group most easily spooked by this digital thing... drive-in owners... right next to a lot of small, single screen indies. This year, I ran Avatar... good crowd. I've run "Dragon"... very good crowd. Currently I'm running "Shutter Island" for the second time this year, as a second to "Iron Man 2", to full fields... this, after all the yak about IM2 coming out early in other countries and pirated DVDs hitting the market before we even got the chance to open the (locked) cans.

Over the years, this crazy exhibition business has undergone too many changes to count. Somehow, I suspect most of us will find a way to adjust through whatever's coming down the line.

Re:The End of movie theatres??? 11 May 2010 00:25 #33924

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
DONT SELL SKY---THEATERS WILL BE AROUND LONG AFTER WE ARE ALL DEAD!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction