Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby film rotation question from newbie
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: film rotation question from newbie

film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 00:13 #33841

• retropad
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been reading these forums for several months, and appreciate all of your insights into this business. I am in the process of developing a business plan for a single screen/pub where showmanship is the key, in a town of 60k with a 10 plex with horrible service. I am aware that clearance will be an issue, and will plan to be a move-over/art house. This is a question for you move-over owners. How often do you rotate films? I was hoping to keep things fresh with 2 different movies each weekend. What do you think? Would that be good business? Thank you for any input.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 00:40 #33842

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I doubt you would have to play move over for art product with only 1 10 screen in the area. You should open art on the area break. Now if you want to play first run on a move over 2 films per week works well.

HOW MANY MILES ARE YOU FROM THE 10 PLEX---THATS ALSO KEY..

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 07:43 #33843

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
welcome to the forums. I play move over and generally play three to six weeks after the break. I've been splitting occasionally and that seems to be good for the bottom line, if a little confusing for the customers at times. Hopefully they'll get used to the idea. I try to move as much product through here as possible. I don't have much luck with art, out here in the sticks if it's not heavily advertised then it just won't do well.
"What a crazy business"

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 09:49 #33844

• retropad
  • Fresh Boarder
We will be less than 5 miles from the 10 plex. i should have stated that we want to be move over theater, with the occaisional art film. I agree, we would want to play those on the break. Thank you for your input, this is really helpful.

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 11:49 #33845

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Welcome Retropad,

Single screens are seldom successful. (see other threads) Can you get more screens in your space? 60-80 seat auditoriums with at least 20' width screens IMHO would be fine.

art-Unless you have a great reputation for managing art-house theaters I doubt you will get art-house films on the break. these are generally very limited release. You also need a progressive community for them to do well. A college town is very helpful.

Mainstream movies: The 10-plex will probably keep movies for 3-4 weeks min., the better ones for 5-6 weeks. You will not get them until the first run theater is done with them. If a film is available to you only 3 weeks old, walk away from it. You will do best with the better grossing movies. You may desire to bring in the good movies with poor box-office but you will still not do well (generally-I believe Leeler will agree with me on this one)

Restaurants- they scare me too. Do you have experience with restaraunts? One of the highest fail rates for small businesses is restaurants.

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 12:18 #33847

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
My friend Cathy does a great job of keeping it fresh at her single screen. Just check out her schedule and other things she does to get the community behind her.

www.cameocinema.com/index.php

Re:film rotation question from newbie 26 Apr 2010 14:02 #33850

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
www.cameocinema.com/index.php

Nice theater! Nice website. Nice 9000+ population closest art-house theater & mainstream theater is 30+ mins away. Still plays the blockbusters as well.

Re:film rotation question from newbie 27 Apr 2010 16:04 #33855

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
even with a one screen you'll burn through movies fast if you plan to get rid of things every week. The older they are the more you can double them.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction