Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A SINGLE SCREEN

A SINGLE SCREEN 22 Apr 2010 22:18 #33818

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
As some seem to gloat that my single screen is having a bad go I have this to say. I would do it all over again in a heart beat. When we opened with such hugh numbers, the highest mom and pop single screen in the nation, last summer we were thrilled. But the fact is we never needed the theater to make a living out of it. Our other theater is (just sold it) one of the highest grossing art cinemas in the nation so the goal was for the single to break even. The fact that the theater is not making money at the moment does not put us in a bad position as we can use the theater as a write off.

So as with any biz venture know what you can afford to lose and be dam sure you can!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 22 Apr 2010 22:32 #33820

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Slap,

I certainly respect your attempt at making a go at this. My goal is to use this as a teaching tool for all of us. I hope you will talk about it and help others to see if they can learn anything from your experience.

It will take some humiltiy on your part and I know talking about it after the great start is tough.

Please share.

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 23 Apr 2010 00:29 #33821

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I believe that there are 3 issues that are hurting the theater-- 1. a new IMAX screen in town 2. our overhead is to high we need to do $65,000 per month to break even on 1 screen. 3. We cant show 3d due to the size of the screen.So no AVATAR,NO ALICE,NO DRAGON ETC.

This is one of the nicest movie going experience in the nation but a new 16 plex and a new 12 plex coming in 2 months would kill most theaters.

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 23 Apr 2010 07:46 #33822

• BWT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Slap -- just curious about your overhead...why is it so high?

It is a really high lease rate because you are smack dab in the middle of Charleston, or big utility bills because of an older building?

I'd imagine that the staff pay couldn't be that extreme given that it is only a single screen.

I completely agree with your point about the lack of 3D product, especially given the revenue/screen multiples that 3D is producing vs 2D of the same film with the recent 3D releases.

Question -- have you taken a look at any of the new Sony digital 4K projectors? I know that (at least according to their spec sheets), they should be able to project RealD stereoscopic 3D over a screen size of up to 80 feet when coupled with the RealD XL Cinema System. My guess is that you'd qualify for some VPFs to help finance equipment like that depending on the equipment provider.

Just a thought on how you might be able to invest some incremental capex to get folks in the seats.

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 23 Apr 2010 10:33 #33826

• Magic
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Slap,

I 'met' you in January at the AHC, I believe. Great presentation! Anyhow, sorry to hear about the problems that have come up with the single screen. We have a single screen also, but only 62 seat and all art house fare.

Wishing you the best, whatever decisions you make!

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 24 Apr 2010 20:16 #33830

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Magic,
We would like to add another screen to our 5 screen and want to devote it to art films. We have 3 other multiplexes in our area that show 99% mainstream and every once in awhile will get an art/indie film. Can you tell me if you use a booker that is experienced in booking art/indie films? Thanks!

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 26 Apr 2010 13:03 #33848

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Getting back to single screens since many new folks come here:

There are rare situations where it works out. IMHO, this situations need to be:

1) Low overhead-For most theaters your largest costs are variable. So you need to keep that overhead low. Many single screens are empty. If they are and have been that way, you can negotiate a good deal for you. For example, our theater had been closed more than it had been open the preivous 10 years. We signed a 6 mo. lease with options. Try to get you lease expense down to 10%.

2) Other uses-Leaseable-living space. I know Leeler has a video store in his, others rent out apartments and retail space. some use for live shows.

3) No competition. I would add at least 30 mins away.

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 26 Apr 2010 13:24 #33849

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
but a new 16 plex and a new 12 plex coming in 2 months would kill most theaters.

These two new theaters that replaced two theaters?

Which leads to an interesting question-how to account for theaters that are re-bulit?

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 26 Apr 2010 15:15 #33851

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
and don't forget I live in mine, too! ;)
"What a crazy business"

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 26 Apr 2010 19:22 #33852

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
leeler wrote:
and don't forget I live in mine, too! ;)

I thought you did, but my memory is getting bad!

Re:A SINGLE SCREEN 26 Apr 2010 20:14 #33853

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
THEY WERE OLD 8 SCREEN FLAT FLOOR CINEMAS--REPLACED WITH A 16 SCREEM STADIUM MAX AND 12 SCREEN STADIUM--12 MILLION FOR 1 THEATER AND THEY SPENT 5 MILLON FOR THE OTHER.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction