Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Interested in opening a drive-in (any advice?)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interested in opening a drive-in (any advice?)

Interested in opening a drive-in (any advice?) 17 Apr 2010 12:23 #33766

• TommyR
  • Fresh Boarder
I live in a town in Europe with a population of 43 000 to 50 000. Every summer our town gets around 200 000 to 300 000 tourists who come here to relax and spend their time looking for entertainment. Since our city only has one single screen cinema which doesn't even support 3D, me and my friends thought we could open a Drive-In theatre for the summer. So far I have done some market research and know how many citizens like to visit cinema and how many of the tourists concider cinema as a good entertainment and would be willing to go there. The numbers really seem astonishing. We are for certain that there is market for our idea but what we don't know is how much would we have to pay to rent or lease the equipment and who would we need to contact to get the movies. Our best idea so far has been contacting a local cinema chain and trying to co-operate with them.
I am really interested of what do the people of BigScreenBiz think about our idea.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Interested in opening a drive-in (any advice?) 17 Apr 2010 18:57 #33767

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I think it's a great idea. There are many walk in/ drive in outdoor theatres in warmer climates of Europe. Be careful of cultural differences. In the USA you can easily stop people from being drunk and obnoxious whereas in parts of other countries it's acceptable. That would be a very different experience than USA drive ins. The equipment for a one screen drive in (and it will not be 3D I do not believe but may be wrong.... including sound, projection, and concession, not including screen tower construction (sometimes people have less expensive options) or other buildings should not exceed 300,000.00-500,000.00 US. IMHO. What country are you in?
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Interested in opening a drive-in (any advice?) 17 Apr 2010 21:28 #33769

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
(and it will not be 3D I do not believe but may be wrong

No 3d at this time. There appears to be paint available, and the Technicolor process seems compatible with conventional booth equipment. Unknown right now is the effect of rain on a silvered screen. Also unknown, but a real possibility, is that automotive windshields might not pass the polarization required to see the 3D image. If this turns out to be the case, the only way you could watch 3D at the drive-in would be to sit outside.

Equipment costs vary widely, depending on whether you want new or used, and what expertise you bring to the table. Look for equipment supply companies in your country for help. A local booking agent can also provide information regarding what film will cost in your country.
Last Edit: 17 Apr 2010 21:29 by rodeojack.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction