Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3d Logjam

3d Logjam 25 Mar 2010 11:02 #33618

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Oh my!

The nearest 3d screen to me (only 1 or 8 screens at the plex) will NOT be running How To train A Dragon at all. They are opting for Titans next week in 3d and running a 4th week of Alice this week. I am shocked they are not running it in 2d.

Could not be happier as the closest 3d screen for Dragon is now 30 mins away.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:3d Logjam 25 Mar 2010 12:23 #33621

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I bet Disney would not let them drop Alice. With only one 3D screen in the complex you have that problem. That is happening to several theatres in our area too. They wanted Dragons but can't because it opened too close to Alice so they have to take Clash in 3D if they wanted to or not.

Re:3d Logjam 25 Mar 2010 14:26 #33625

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I am still surpised they are not playing it in 2d. Is Paramount saying no if they will not play it in 3d?

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 10:23 #33632

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Apparently yes they are or at least that is what I am told unless you have an all digital complex you might get 2D in digital. But if you are a mixed complex and wanted a 2D Dragon on film because your 3D screen was booked Paramount told them no way.

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 10:47 #33634

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
the 3D logjam is going to get worse before it gets better. There is way too much 3D product out there and too few weeks in between. It's going to get tough for some of these multiplexes in their negotiating. I think lessons will be learned on both sides of the equation on this.
"What a crazy business"

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 11:00 #33635

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
THE FAD WILL BE DONE BY THE END OF 2011
WRITE THAT DOWN---THEY ARE RUINING 3D

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 11:10 #33636

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I fear you're right. Spy Kids 4 in 3D. Are they serious?
"What a crazy business"

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 11:54 #33637

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Paramoont still got according to Rentrak: 4055 Locations for Dragon.

Monsters vs Aliens last March: 4104
Horton Hears a Who in march of 2008: 3954

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 18:32 #33638

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
25 3-D releases for 2010. I agree with slappy people will be so out of this but years end. It is fun once in awhile but it is taking away the movie experience no matter how good they do this...it is a gimic and will hurt alot of people.
I heard that a major chain is going all digitial by years end becasue of this 3-D fad and getting rid of all union projectionist!

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 19:07 #33639

• BWT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Given all the negative commentary about 'Titans', my guess is that it was probably converted too quickly to make it into a nice, well polished stereoscopic conversion. Anything that is done in this sort of rushed haphazard fashion will probably be a bit rougher than either a natively shot stereo 3D film, or something that was converted over a longer timeline.

I mean, 'Alice' was converted over to stereoscopic 3D post-production and no one seemed to think it looked cheap or poorly shot. My wager is that Burton had allocated a fair length of time (8-12 weeks probably) for the conversion to be done so that it would be up to the appropriate standard. In comparison, 'Titans' was rumored by The Hollywood Reporter as being converted during the last week of January. Even if conversion began that day of the rumor breaking (1/26/2010), then that would only leave 8 weeks max to finish the conversion.

No doubt that the studios are rushing to cash in too quickly at the expense of quality in some of the films like 'Titans' or 'Step Up 3D' or all the other non-tentpole films that are coming out during the third quarter of this year. Reminds me of an old saying from a friend of mine who is a stock trader: "Something isn't done until it's over-done."

Once 2010 is done and the initial glut of poorly converted 3D films are through, my guess is that the studios will look back at the numbers, realize that the bad 3D films didn't bring in that much extra revenue vs the $5 million or so it takes to convert one post-production, and then they will stop trying to make everything 3D.

The studios are all about the returns -- if a converted film doesn't hit the hurdle rate needed to pay off the conversion cost, you will see this practice of converting films to 3D after production wraps simply stop.

Re:3d Logjam 26 Mar 2010 22:18 #33643

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey jacker - As a former I.A. member I can tell you that automation got rid of most union operators. Not many are left but theatres will still need someone with a brain to operate the digital stuff.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:3d Logjam 13 Apr 2010 15:24 #33748

• BWT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
To borrow a supporting quote to my thesis that the conversion of 'Clash of the Titans' was rushed:
Christopher Bond of Prime Focus VFX, in a much-anticipated presentation on the conversion of "Titans," said his company was given 10-12 weeks at the outset, but the picture was not locked until more than halfway through the process.

The above quote is from the Variety article on 3D from Mike's post about the NAB 2010 show that is going on right now.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction