Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Digital Cinema reality check
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Cinema reality check

Digital Cinema reality check 20 Mar 2010 21:41 #33592

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Starting my third year of digital cinema, and believe me the honeymoon is over.
If I could have a do over, I would passed on my systems. I would run my film projectors as long as possible ,perhaps to the tipping point where film is discontinued. The 3D has been fun but only one movie, Avatar has been a real good deal for our theatres. Many factors have discouraged me. Even my patrons seemed they could care less what type of projection they watch, as long as it is a good movie. I think I will refocus on this most important premise, and go make some more popcorn. If I seem a little blue ,I just learned my first digital install just exploded a little while ago and I am not so sure about the warranty, oh well thats showbiz.
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010 21:45 by cuemarks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Digital Cinema reality check 20 Mar 2010 22:48 #33593

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Cuemarks,

Could you elaborate any?

Have you been getting any VPFs?

You have Real3d right? What has not worked as well as thought?

How you fincanced the equipment? How long was the loan if any?
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010 22:50 by rufusjack.

Re:Digital Cinema reality check 20 Mar 2010 23:37 #33594

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
No VFPS, Still waiting on studio decisions. I think it might be a long,long wait.
Very pleased with RealD, works very well. I have more than enough light, which as you know is critical. I think patrons could get bored with 3D as some of mine have already told me they are. My next concern is my sudden rash of problems. I missed a big repair bill thanks to warranty, on one unit, just to find out tonight another one shot craps, on the one that quit tonight, I am a little worried it might get expensive, due to some warranty issues. We are self financed on the equipment.

Re:Digital Cinema reality check 22 Mar 2010 13:19 #33601

• SMMORRIS
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for sharing Cuemarks- I struggle with the decision as I am sure many do. I worry that 3D isn't important enough to most of my customers to pay extra for it. We are a lower price single screen catering to young families with children who have to watch their budgets. In 3 weeks of Alice I would say we have had maybe 6 people turn around when they discovered we didn't have it in 3D. The folks who do not care about cost really aren't our target customer base.I continue to ready and study and try to figure out what the future holds.

Re:Digital Cinema reality check 22 Mar 2010 18:32 #33603

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
My early dabbling with digital cinema has confirmed what I should have not forgotten in the first place, a hit movie is still a hit movie, in film or digital. A dud is still a dud in, film or digital. It will be interesting to how 3D plays out. Long story short, make sure you get the best deal possible before making the jump. It would be nice to know if there will be a cut off date for film , kind of like the appearance of Cyan only soundtracks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction