Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby The Case for Film 3d for a seasonal first-run????
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Case for Film 3d for a seasonal first-run????

The Case for Film 3d for a seasonal first-run???? 11 Feb 2010 22:20 #33341

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Feel free to make comments:

For your consideration:

Seasonal 1st-run theater competing in a 85,000 population market located in a bedroom community 5 mins away from the hub of the area. Competition is a regional 8-plex. The 8-plex does not have 3d at this time. Company that owns th8-plex has 3d screens in half of their locations (most are 14+ screens and in very competitve areas). 8 plex does 13x the business.

At least in 2010 their seems to be at least 10 movies that you could play using Tech 3d lowering your lens rental cost per movie to $1200. Maybe even less if studios are aggressive in booking 3d screens.

Ticket sales assumptions: (3d movies) Most 3d venues in my district seem to have at least a 50% increrase in ticket sales if not 100%. If my 8-plex competitor does not get a 3d screen this year I believe we could see 100% on certain films.

Non-3d movies: Our theater has been around for 30 years with it being shut down and re-opened frequently over the previous 10 years. We have had it opened for the past 39 mos (which is the longest in 10 years). many people in our market do not know we exist. Hopefully 3d will get us more exposure and increase non-3d ticket sales due to our friendlier ticket/concession prices.

Both types of ticket sales increases hopefully could let us climb that film count totem pole thus getting more movies on the break, thus increasing ticket sales some more.

Obviously concession sales would increase as well.

We have the capacity as we have only had 3 sold-out shows (New Moon).

Labor would see a minimal increase.

We cannot afford to purchase digital equipment at this time. We cannot qualify for any loans to purchase digital equipment at this time. I do not see the studios giving any VPfs to theaters like ours.

At least in the first year, film 3d could be decently profitable.

The big unknown factors:
1) Will the public get tired of 3d movies?
2) When will my competitor get 3d?
3) What if studios cut back on 3d releases?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Case for Film 3d for a seasonal first-run???? 12 Feb 2010 10:59 #33347

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Sounds like you might be a good candidate.

Having 3D might get your the attention you're looking for, even if your competition does put it in down the road.

As for the "what ifs"... there's not much risk, or cost, other than the required silver screen. Assuming you have a good lamphouse and stable projector, the screen would be about all you'd need. If it doesn't work out down the road, or if you go digital, you just send the lens back to Techicolor.
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010 10:59 by rodeojack.

Re:The Case for Film 3d for a seasonal first-run???? 12 Feb 2010 12:12 #33348

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
It is a 3 year agreement with a $6000 per year cancellation fee.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction