Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Startup Costs?

Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 12:52 #33266

• LDCarter
  • Fresh Boarder
I spoke with quite a few movie distributors last week about acquiring films for my future theater. They broke the process down like this: They verify that your business exists, They run a credit check in the name of the person or company getting the movies. When the movie sells, they get a percentage of the sale, anywhere from 48% to 62%...all depending on your credit score. In some cases, they want the money upfront before they even let you use a movie in a theater. Depending on how big of a hit the movie is and your credit.

That's what I was told by a few distributors. With that said, if anyone has ever had to pay them upfront, how much does it typically to do this? I understand that there may not be a definite answer to this. But I do want some sort of an idea of how much I may be looking to kick out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 13:53 #33267

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
LD,

I am in the business now for 1 year. Most I paid in advance is $2500.00 usually it is below $1000.00 . Those payments are based on your history with the the companies and should stop after about a year.

I don't think the percentage you pay to the film companies is based on your credit score (at least that would be new for me).

You should search this forum for the difference between advances and guaratees.

And get youself a film booker. Worth every penny.

Jay

Re:Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 14:47 #33268

• LDCarter
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the feedback.

My company is gonna be new, so I guess I would have to build a history with the companies until they trust me enough to not charge me in advance.

I've never heard of a film booker, but that sounds like a great idea! Thanks again.

Re:Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 15:08 #33269

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
The last theatre I managed (back in '06) the most I paid up front was $800. But I found I was better off using a booker. He would get me exactly what I wanted and kept me booked at least a month in advance. Bookers usually have more pull with the distributors than does a single operator. It cost me $150. a month. I was a single screener. It's well worth the price to get that load off my back. I was in a small community and got films about 4-6 weeks after the break. I would recommend Frank Rash of Theatre Booking Service He works out of Nebraska. His email address is: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010 15:13 by revrobor.

Re:Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 17:55 #33271

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Ld,

don't take it personally, but if you haven't heard of a Film Booker, you haven't done your homework. Read everything that is on this forum. THen read it again. TRust me 150% of your questions have been answered before. WHy 150% ? Reading this forum will raise new questions, but they have been answered too.

Good luck,

JAy

Re:Startup Costs? 04 Feb 2010 22:00 #33273

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Great post Jay!

Re:Startup Costs? 05 Feb 2010 09:07 #33274

• LDCarter
  • Fresh Boarder
Keweler wrote:
Ld,

don't take it personally, but if you haven't heard of a Film Booker, you haven't done your homework. Read everything that is on this forum. THen read it again. TRust me 150% of your questions have been answered before. WHy 150% ? Reading this forum will raise new questions, but they have been answered too.

Good luck,

JAy
I'm still new to the whole thing. My idea is in it's developing stages.
To be truthful, I do a search before I ask any question. It seems that I may not get the answers in the search because I don't know what to look for.

Maybe this whole thing isn't nearly as difficult as it seems.

Re:Startup Costs? 06 Feb 2010 00:12 #33275

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Go through all the topics, especially the "frequently asked questions", reset your browser to shall all posts, and most if not all information has already been given, over and over again for newbies. While every situation is different, most topics have been covered many times here, in many varieties. If after reading, you have specific questions, ask away. I would suggest you read the entire forum in its entirety, then you will have a wealth of free information at your fingertips. Good luck with your project.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction