Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center?

Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 12 Jan 2010 08:18 #33100

• BWT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Question to the group:

"Can a movie theater work in a strip mall center?"

I am looking at a potential project that would be putting a new first run theater into a strip mall center in my suburb. I live in a metro area, so population density isn't a problem (north of 150k ppl within a 5 mile radius). The main intersection at the strip mall center is surrounded by a couple of banks, several restaurants and a popular sports bar, as well as buffers up against some residential neighborhoods. Traffic count at the nearby intersection is ~50,000 cars per day in 2006 and the local population has grown since then per US Census data. View from the roads isn't a problem and the center has 2-3 access points from the major roads, so i don't think egress would be an issue at all.

My question is more oriented towards whether or not folks think that surrounding retail stores and restaurants would detract from the pull of the theater itself.

The shopping center has a Kohl's as an anchor tenant,and the theater building itself would have some small retail stores attached to the sides of it, but would be the largest and as well as the primary venue in its building cluster (the strip mall center is built sort of in a U-shape with several clusters of buildings around the perimeter of the center).

Any feedback on the benefit or impact of nearby retail/restaurants/etc in the same shopping center would be greatly appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 12 Jan 2010 09:52 #33101

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
There were at one time lots of theatres in strip malls. I own one still and so does Slap here on the boards. If done right and depending on your competition I don't see why not.

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 12 Jan 2010 10:41 #33102

• Bernie
  • Fresh Boarder
A couple of things to consider:

- The Kohls department store may have it written somewhere that they will not allow a movie theater in its immediate vicinity due to sharing parking. Walmart has a similar clause. Check into this.

- What type of films will you be showing? I think second-run might be a good idea if you have a large college or low income developments nearby. If you want to compete with the big boys and show first run, your theater will have to be beautiful, otherwise people will gladly pay the extra dollar for a better seat and atmosphere.

- If the intersection is indeed busy, will there be room for you to post a large sign/billboard with movie times? Without a sign, and buried within a retail development, some people will not know you exist.

- Another theory: people plan their afternoons around your movie showtimes. Using this logic, people would want to come to your theater FIRST, then get dinner or lunch later because you can eat at a restaurant at any time. Your theater will have to be a draw (see point 2), otherwise people will go elsewhere.
Last Edit: 12 Jan 2010 11:02 by Bernie.

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 12 Jan 2010 11:22 #33103

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
YES VERY WELL
MANY IN CENTERS

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 12 Jan 2010 15:03 #33104

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I agree with the others. But you say you want a "first run" theatre. However, depending on what the competition is, the distributors are going to decide that for you. You may find you will be running alternative content or move-over.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 13 Jan 2010 00:08 #33105

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
SEE ABOVE
Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010 00:28 by slapintheface.

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 13 Jan 2010 00:25 #33106

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
PIC

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 13 Jan 2010 13:15 #33109

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Thetres clearly work in strip malls/ depends on space and neighbors/ type of operation/ etc.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Can A Theater Work in a Strip Mall Center? 31 Jan 2010 07:48 #33247

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think it will work providing you have good rent, good service, nice cinemas, a market catchment, and good programming.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction