Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3D: Not going away

3D: Not going away 10 Jan 2010 09:54 #33092

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Played Avatar in both my theaters one 3D the other in film. Last week the gross for 3d-6500 film 1750. Audtorium size 3d-113 seats---film 425 seats. Easily selling out the 3d during the midweek. One dollar upcharge on 3d using the Dolby 3d system.
Feedback from customers going to 3d was universally positive. Many of the 3d customers already knew about the new flat screen 3d tvs that will hit the market this year. The question is if you dont offer 3d do you risk not keeping up with what consumers can get in their homes? I now think going digital is not just about making economic sense but also about maintaining a technoligical relevance in the market place-just like adding digital sound, stadium seating, comfortable seating, hearing impaired, real butter, klipsch speakers etc etc. Many of these improvements dont necessarily pay for themselves but all add to the positive experience of going out to the movies.
I think given the push from the film companies with 16 3d pictures next year
that switching to 3d was the right choice for me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:3D: Not going away 23 Jan 2010 17:01 #33195

i am getting more serious about doing this for my theater. Does anyone have any experience with actually doing something through CBG or actually gotten any virtual print fee payments through them or directly?

Re:3D: Not going away 23 Jan 2010 18:02 #33196

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
If you have multiple screens I think it is probably a good idea to install one digital projector (if you can afford the thing). But don't count film out yet. I think it will be with us for a long time. 3D IMO is suitable for only action films. At this point I can see it being advantages for romance, comedy or musical films. I ran 3D back in the '50s. You see how long that lasted. Many of you thought it was actually new technology. What's next? Will they bring back "Smellovision".
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:3D: Not going away 06 Feb 2010 01:07 #33277

• techman707
  • Junior Boarder
revrobor wrote:
If you have multiple screens I think it is probably a good idea to install one digital projector (if you can afford the thing). But don't count film out yet. I think it will be with us for a long time. 3D IMO is suitable for only action films. At this point I can see it being advantages for romance, comedy or musical films. I ran 3D back in the '50s. You see how long that lasted. Many of you thought it was actually new technology. What's next? Will they bring back "Smellovision".

Its Déjà Vu all over again. In the 1950s everyone got all wound up over 3D, but it faded away (like the color film it was printed on). Of course it will do BIG business for a while, however, it really is not any better then it was back then. As a serviceman, I installed 3D in theatres in the 1970s, when they tried it side by side anamorphic. The again in the 1980s, when they tried it flat, side by side. Now, here it is again, digital, but not much better than before. Like anything else, some films will have better 3D than others, but in the end, maybe with the exception of the shutter glasses method, people are STILL complaining about eye strain. While digital is inevitable, 3D is not. Even Eastman Kodak and Fuji are hedging their bets on film.

Re:3D: Not going away 06 Feb 2010 01:36 #33279

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
New 3d is so far superior than the 70s /80 version that it is not even fair to compare the two. How can one say the new 3d technology is not 1000 % better than the old.....

That being said there are to many 3d films and thus it will die .. To much 3d is not a good thing!

Re:3D: Not going away 06 Feb 2010 23:48 #33287

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
slapintheface wrote:
New 3d is so far superior than the 70s /80 version that it is not even fair to compare the two. How can one say the new 3d technology is not 1000 % better than the old.....

That being said there are to many 3d films and thus it will die .. To much 3d is not a good thing!

Exactly! The unique becomes the common. And the way companies are busting a gut to get 3D in the home. As was shown at the recent electronics show. It will make 3D that much more common with all the 3D tv shows.

Re:3D: Not going away 07 Feb 2010 00:09 #33288

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
A good story is what will fill seats in the theatre. All the bells and whistles the techno-geeks can throw at us will not carry a lousy script.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:3D: Not going away 07 Feb 2010 00:40 #33289

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
AMEN

Re:3D: Not going away 08 Feb 2010 11:52 #33295

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I have seen the old 3-D and sucked would be about what it could fairly be called. The new 3-D is unbelievable: it needs a story yes of course. No one wants to go see a movie just because "it's in 3-D." But when they put it together right as they clearly did with Avatar: watch out. I know people around my home town that are driving 120 miles to see it on IMAX in 3-D and was told way more than once they were holding off until they could see it in 3-D. Lot's of hype there but it's for real. I believe that it will come down to inevitable for all theatres to have a digital 3-D screen. Yes even the samll way back teeny towns.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction