Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: film rental percentages

film rental percentages 16 Dec 2009 15:49 #32990

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
A booker told a client of mine that a 10 screen first run theatre in a busy part of the world paid 58% film rental. I did not see anything for booking charges. Do some bookers charge a percentage of the gross? The only thing I've ever seen is a per screen/per week or month fee.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:film rental percentages 16 Dec 2009 17:26 #32992

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Mike wrote:
A booker told a client of mine that a 10 screen first run theatre in a busy part of the world paid 58% film rental. I did not see anything for booking charges. Do some bookers charge a percentage of the gross? The only thing I've ever seen is a per screen/per week or month fee.

I have never heard of a booker charging a percentage of the gross. Per screen is usually the common charge. I paid $150 a month to have my single screener booked. Most film companies charge a percentage of the gross (usually 35 - 50%). But watch out for Disney. They will charge up to 90% depending on your weekly gross.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:film rental percentages 17 Dec 2009 00:44 #32994

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I have never heard of charging a % to gross...

Re:film rental percentages 17 Dec 2009 01:55 #32995

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes. There is a booker in Seattle who charges a percentage after a certain gross. We no longer use them, but many years ago it was 3% after $1,000. There was also a small monthly minimum.

Re:film rental percentages 18 Dec 2009 09:31 #33000

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bob
The staement about Disney is a little misleading. For the past 2 years Disney is strait scale based on the national total gross-don't think i have paid over 58% for any Disney film in that time. The days of 90/10 are mostly gone and only apply to very high volume theaters.

Re:film rental percentages 18 Dec 2009 12:20 #33004

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I will call it extremely misleading Narrow. Bob, it is hood to mention the 90/10 rule, but many newbies will not understand it. And since you still get to deduct your house allowance before paying 90%, it is just misleading.

So maybe the better statement might be: "you may on a very rare occasion pay a higher split based on the 90/10 rule". I have never paid 90/10 in 3 years.

I personally like the main principle of disney's scale for on the break as it shares risk to both studio and theater. Of course it is bad playing a 4-5 week old movie on move-over and paying more than 50% though.

Re:film rental percentages 18 Dec 2009 15:04 #33005

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I was managing a 248 seat single screen house in '06 when Disney demanded 90% if I grossed $1,000 or more in the week I played their film, I believe it was "Cars". I'm glad to hear the policy has changed.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009 15:05 by revrobor.

Re:film rental percentages 21 Dec 2009 10:00 #33025

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We hit the 90/10 the other year because of a lot of special school shows on MR. Migorium's Emporium I think. What we learned then is our house allowance had not been adjusted in like 15 / 20 years, so it was low compared to today's prices and inflation on operating costs. We redid all of our house allowances then with all the film companies to keep from hitting that number as easily.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction