Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to get off advances

how to get off advances 16 Dec 2009 15:43 #32988

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
One of my clients asked: how long on advances?

Here is how to get off advances:

1. For one year all we can do is do our best by begging and hoping they don’t ask for much. Some will not ask for much and others will be painful. One year is the operative number.
2. What they care about above all else: timely box office reports and paying on time.
3. The more they chase us for box office reports and the later we are the longer the advances will be required. In fact they can up it if we become a pain in the butt to them: it’s an easy way to get rid of us.
4. Make sure you are reporting films to Rentrak and EDI on a daily basis and faxing in reports to the studios every Monday and Friday morning.
5. After one year we can apply to get off advances and if we’ve been good at reporting and paying there should be no problem
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:how to get off advances 16 Dec 2009 17:08 #32991

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania state law prohibits a film distributor - any film distributor - from requiring any advance from any motion picture exhibitor regardless of the circumstances. To my knowledge no advances have been required or paid in Pennsylvania since the statute was enacted back in 1986 and it has not prevented or hindered any exhibitor from getting service.

So the real question becomes: If they don't have advances in Pennsylvania, why do they have them elsewhere (or perhaps better stated) why do exhibitors put up with them and not complain about the discrimination?

Re:how to get off advances 17 Dec 2009 00:42 #32993

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I HAVE NEVER PAID AN ADVANCE EVEN ON THE FIRST DAY---

Re:how to get off advances 17 Dec 2009 10:01 #32996

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Slap when you were new you were playing art I bet and dealing with the film companies who like advaces. After that you had estabished yourself so when you expanded they look at your history and you were good.

We just got the one company who likes advances mad because we did not take their Christmas film we went another one who did not want an advance. It was a toss up witch film we took so we went with the company who treats us better.

Re:how to get off advances 17 Dec 2009 12:49 #32997

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
could be correct --The film buyer just told them we were good for it and that was that....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction