Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Film distributors
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film distributors

Film distributors 05 Dec 2009 12:59 #32929

• sattlerdj
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey, I need to find a film distributor in Canada. I am doing a school project and have to do a feasibility study, would anyone be able to tell me what percentage goes to the box office on a film that is 2 to 3 weeks old.

Thanks
David
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Film distributors 05 Dec 2009 17:19 #32931

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It would be by flat fee plus/or a percentage. Very normal: 250.00 (USA) minimum vs. 35% so you'd pay 250.00 or 35 % .....whichever is higher.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Film distributors 07 Dec 2009 09:58 #32938

• sattlerdj
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mike

Re:Film distributors 07 Dec 2009 12:37 #32941

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hello sattlerdj.

I would like some clarification of your question. Either Mike or myself, one of us, doesn't understand your question. Mike knows the business well, but his answer doesn't seem to fit the question... or at least as I read it.

You ask "what percentage goes to the box office?" The theatre owns the box office, so are you asking what percentage stays with the theatre... or are you asking what percentage is paid to the studio out of box office reciepts? Depending on which you are asking will produce a totally different answer. You also ask "on a film that is 2 to 3 weeks old?" Do you mean 2 to 3 weeks after original national release or 2 to 3 weeks after your theatre opens the film, regardless of when that would have been?

After I fully understand your questions, I can give you the answers.

Re:Film distributors 07 Dec 2009 19:11 #32943

• sattlerdj
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey RoxyVaudeville

The question I was asking is how much the theatre pays to show the movie, also the date we were thinking of showing the movies would be 2 to 3 weeks after there national release.

Thanks for helping.
David

Re:Film distributors 07 Dec 2009 21:30 #32944

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
AVERAGE IS 48 TO 52 %

Re:Film distributors 08 Dec 2009 17:44 #32949

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
David,

Since you are talking about opening films 2 or 3 weeks after the initial national release, I must inform you that while maybe not impossible, it is extremely rare for theatres to open a film the 2nd week of release. Most film prints are committed for a minimum of two weeks or more on the original break. When multi-plex theatres open a film on two or more screens, the prints on the additional screens run for two week minimums. Depending on the performance of the film, those prints will come off after the two weeks are over, making them available to other theatres in smaller markets to open the film at their location.

The amount of film rental paid varies greatly depending on each picture and the market area where it is exhibited, and when it is played. Most films when they first open nationally will require a percentage payment of anywhere from 50 to 70% usually dropping each week so that a 5 week run would possibly be 70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, 35% or 60%, 50%, 40%, 35%, 35%. In recent years a new payment method has arisen where the theatre owner pays a set rental called an aggregate whereby the rental remains the same throughout the entire engagement of a film. Instead of paying a 70, 60 50 40% etc. payment, the distributor collects 55%, or maybe 53%, or 57% (whatever they demand) for every week it plays.

If you open a film at your theatre on the 3rd week of its release, you will probably pay whatever rate it is down to at that time. If it was a 70, 60, 50, 40% deal at break you would come in at 50% for your first week, and then work your way down from there. If it was a 60, 50, 40, 35% deal you would come in at 40% and then go down to 35% your 2nd week. If it is a aggregate deal, you might have to pay whatever the aggregate was. However, you might not. If the aggregate was 55%, you might come in at 50% or even 40%. As you may have realized by now, nothing is set in stone in this business. It can vary from picture to picture and market to market. If you’re opening on the 3rd week of national release you will usually have to play those films for two weeks, however sometimes you might get away with only one. Again it depends on where you’re at and what the competition is in your market area.

Don’t expect to pay any flat rentals of any amount for first run films. Flat rentals are a thing of the past even for 2nd run bookings. The only place you will encounter flat payments, which as Mike said would be flat vs 35%, would be for classic films. Films generally not in general release any longer.

I hope this has been helpful.

Re:Film distributors 08 Dec 2009 19:57 #32950

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
When I was managing a theatre in Iowa back in '06 I got my prints six weeks after release and never got a flat rate. In fac Disney would charge me 90% if I made over a certain amount at the BO.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Film distributors 08 Dec 2009 21:36 #32954

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
90% --10% IS RARELY USED ANYMORE
1 TIME FOR ME ALL YEAR

Re:Film distributors 08 Dec 2009 23:50 #32959

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Bob, let's not confuse David... as no one ever really pays 90%.

David. What Bob is referring to is a 90/10 deal where you get to deduct your house overhead before paying the 90% film rental. After deducting the house expense you probably end up paying 50 to 55%, but that will all depend on what your gross was, and what your house expense is.
Last Edit: 08 Dec 2009 23:55 by RoxyVaudeville.

Re:Film distributors 09 Dec 2009 11:33 #32962

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Won't a lot of films still carry the higher % if you can even get them in week 2. The exception are the dogs. Don't plan on 35% just becuase you open 2 weeks off break. If that is still first run for your area you will probable still pay at a higher % than a second run theatre.

Right?

Re:Film distributors 09 Dec 2009 15:30 #32967

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
My experience: you can get week 2 movie but you better have a good grossing history. Which means you are a full 1st run and a movie was a huge suprise.

So, at 3 weeks old; expect 40-50% for the 1st week you pay and 35% after that. Except Disney....you pay 50%+ for movies up to 6 weeks old.

For planning purposes I would comfortable planning on 40%.

90/10: we have never paid that in 3 years. Stop scaring people Bob!

Re:Film distributors and film availability 16 Dec 2009 15:47 #32989

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
every rare moment thee are films on the 2nd week (Hangover) but generally speaking all prints are working for the first 2 weeks and after that extra prints coming off 2nd and 3rd print shows in multi's and smaller venues (like mine) become available. We hope.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction