Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: easy rentals of DVD for showing films

easy rentals of DVD for showing films 25 Nov 2009 19:26 #32880

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I have been booking a number of theatres and recently noticed something very nice: film companies are very easy on letting you book an older or classic film and play the DVD. Not all film companies allow it but many of them do. Some are downright easy about it. You either rent the DVD locally,NetFlix, or even buy it. It's a lot cheaper: no film trans, no make up, no break down, and noone has complained. if you have a good projector you can barely tell and it beats the hell out of real 35mm that is scratched and dirty with tails on backwards, etc. I have used it for classics and cult stuff mostly. terms and lisc. still apply but lots easier. You still book with the same people unless it's in classics, etc. Anyway: it's very much new and has lots to do with all the good video projectors and digital projectors in the house now.

Go ahead REAL FILM FANATICS: I am braced. :)
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:easy rentals of DVD for showing films 26 Nov 2009 01:19 #32883

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Don't know that I'd do that with anything near-current, but I sure can see the value in being able to find classics that way.

Years ago, when I last booked "Rocky Horror", the print was barely playable. I really doubt anyone would mind in the slightest trading off what might be lost in a DVD against being able to see the entire film splice & scratch free.

As for the studios' attitude, I recently received a master license update (from a company that also makes TV sets) that specifically authorizes the practice, if done as Mike describes.

Re:easy rentals of DVD for showing films 26 Nov 2009 13:24 #32886

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I agree. Quality using todays equipment is pretty done gone good.

Re:easy rentals of DVD for showing films 30 Nov 2009 10:24 #32899

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
When you are booking even some more current films which are out on DVD (for a school outing) they don't really care about quality. This can really help keep costs down and that is what the school likes.

Re:easy rentals of DVD for showing films 30 Nov 2009 11:37 #32902

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
how do you charge for a school outing? discount from regular price? if it's on a DVD does that change how you would charge them?
"What a crazy business"

Re:easy rentals of DVD for showing films 01 Dec 2009 10:05 #32904

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
They have to pay my matinee price for the show even on DVD. If I have to bring in a film I am not showing then there is a minimum $ amount to cover the rental, shipping, and our time to assemble and tear down. If it is a show we are currently showing then its a lower number of minimum attendees. I will give them a great deal on soda and popcorn. I think less than half take it though. We give a 16oz drink and a 46 popcorn for $2.50 for the schools.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction