Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 35mm private film collectors

35mm private film collectors 23 Nov 2009 23:54 #32857

• gaylebird
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I own a 1939 twin theatre in Atlanta called The Plaza Theatre and I'm looking for vintage films from private collectors. I plan to pay the studios their licensing fees, of course, but often they don't have the 35mm prints in stock or available for platters.

Do any of you work with any private collectors? Would you be willing to pass my information on to them or theirs to me? I would sure appreciate the help! We aren't ready to resort to DVDs, but we are running out of titles!

Thanks,

Gayle

www.plazaatlanta.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:35mm private film collectors 23 Nov 2009 23:59 #32858

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey Gale love your theater, as you know I was going to buy it before you did. You have done a nice job with it . The best place to find prints can be on e-bay .I have bought a few myself .

Re:35mm private film collectors 24 Nov 2009 01:01 #32859

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you are looking to purchase 35mm films then one of the best places is through the 35mm Collectors Forum at www.35mmforum.com.

However do not expect that most 35mm collectors will be willing to loan out their rare and sometimes one-of-a kind prints - especially if you have a platter system.
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2009 01:05 by muviebuf.

Re:35mm private film collectors 24 Nov 2009 02:02 #32860

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
You might also try www.reelclassics.com and www.16mmfilmtalk.com as both also have 35mm collectors or distributors listed.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2009 02:11 by revrobor.

Re:35mm private film collectors 24 Nov 2009 12:15 #32865

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
With possible advance apologies to those involved:

I'm not aware of any legitimate way that a private collector can "own" a print. Everything I've seen over 40+ years around this business has taught that prints are the property of the studios.

Am I missing something, or are these collectors trading in property that's not legally theirs?

As such, advertising to the studios that you'd like to present an available print that they don't currently have direct control over might not be wise.

Re:35mm private film collectors 24 Nov 2009 20:45 #32867

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Good point, but I was just wondering if it has anything to do with the copyright expiring and not being renewed by the studio.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:35mm private film collectors 25 Nov 2009 00:29 #32870

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
There are a few exceptions to the rules .
There are directors that own legal copies as well as studio people.

Re:35mm private film collectors 25 Nov 2009 12:21 #32872

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Didn't the old Roddy McDowell raid prove otherwise? I think at the time that the studios made clear that, even though they may have given McDowell a print of a film, no copyright or broad license was exchanged, so the print(s) couldn't be used for anything other than McDowell's private viewing.

I could be remembering that wrong.

Re:35mm private film collectors 25 Nov 2009 19:17 #32879

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Laws? Are those the things that make it illegal to watch or pirate movies on DVD, internet, streaming?

How quaint: it's illegal to own a 35mm movie? You can buy and trade them all day long if you want. Which I do not.

But the real issue is can you show them and the answer to that is NO.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:35mm private film collectors 26 Nov 2009 01:09 #32882

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike wrote:
Laws? Are those the things that make it illegal to watch or pirate movies on DVD, internet, streaming?

How quaint: it's illegal to own a 35mm movie? You can buy and trade them all day long if you want. Which I do not.

But the real issue is can you show them and the answer to that is NO.

Well, OK, but that doesn't address my question, which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.

It surely isn't illegal to own a 35mm movie, as long as the studio has transferred ownership of the print to someone, who can then trade or sell it.

Otherwise, if you're buying and trading, or even posessing, aside from what few prints might be actually owned by their creators, you're actually dealing in stolen property. Maybe that doesn't pose much more risk than dealing in posters and trailers, but it looks to me like people are still trading in value that isn't theirs in the first place.

How this is any different than any other kind of property is beyond me, especially at the value levels people place on the prints. Content aside, if you could place an average value of $1,000 on the physical film and reels alone, a resultant theft or posession charge could be a felony in my state.
Last Edit: 26 Nov 2009 01:14 by rodeojack.

Re:35mm private film collectors 26 Nov 2009 02:43 #32884

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
They can only be used for private viewing --but can be sold or given away as long as it is for private use!

Re:35mm private film collectors 26 Nov 2009 11:34 #32885

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
They can only be used for private viewing --but can be sold or given away as long as it is for private use!

I'm sorry, Slap, and I don't mean to belabor this... I really want to know.

Who says you can have these prints for private use?

Every master license I have, which is the only place I see this topic come up, says that all prints, trailers and other advertising materials are the property of the studios, period.

I know someone in this area, who has a very nice screening room, some very professional equipment and a large collection of films. So far as I know, not one of the prints this person has collected and/or traded entered the collectors' system legitimately. It's always more like, this print or that didn't get returned to the depot, and the studio didn't pick up on it, or some depot employee liberated the print before it was put on the recycling truck... or somebody did some dumpster diving after the depot closed for the night. None of that sounds like a studio intentionally let a print of theirs loose.
Last Edit: 26 Nov 2009 11:35 by rodeojack.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction