Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Show East 2009

Show East 2009 27 Oct 2009 16:21 #32683

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Convention is very small this year-fewer people and fewer vendors. On the plus side plenty of time to get many questions answered-Spent 30 minutes with Rts, spent time talking to seat manufacters, had breakfast with American cine Equip. Very relaxed atmoshere!!!
Up in the Air with Clooney is very, very good. Shouild play very well to the adult market, may cross into female college age as well. Worth seeing again. The 2k digital presentation looked flawless to me-not sure why 4k is even being discussed. Will post more as time allows.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Show East 2009 28 Oct 2009 12:10 #32684

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Daybreakers opening in January-bloody and violent typical Lionsgate product. Don't see much bo potential in this one. So far everyone has commented on how small the show is. Back to trade show this afternoon-wil be interested in hearing how the technicolor 3d film was reviewed after presentations this morning.

Re:Show East 2009 30 Oct 2009 12:45 #32691

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Technicolor 3D Much hype but requires a three year contrat and all studios are not onboard. As long as Disney refuses to support this it doesnt make sense to install. Fully half of the 3D movies next year are Disney. The larger exhibs i talked to don't see mch of a future for this. Only 2 film projectors were on the exhibit floor-all else was digital. Avatar 3D preview was impressive-should open with a bang.

My list for best to worst movies that I saw: Blind Side, Up in the Air, Young Victoria, 2012, day breakers. Not sure what to say about Precious-powerful, brutal, emotional, well acted but I don't want to see it again. Precious will probably garner a bunch of Oscar noms-and quite possibly is the best picture of the year.

Re:Show East 2009 06 Nov 2009 13:12 #32730

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I hope NATO and the show operators take note. In this down economic year the show was certainly down quit a bit. But who was there? A lot of the small operators were there. A lot of the chains could not find it in their corporate budget to support the show or attend the NATO meetings. The small guys did. There are a lot more small operators than big chains.

Re:Show East 2009 07 Nov 2009 07:58 #32735

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My observation is the large chains feel two large conventions per year is overkill, and an unnecessary financial burden on the entire industry. Especially the trade show aspect, which is a big cost to the suppliers for floor space, shipping, and travel. Those expenses are passed on to their customers through higher prices. Who really benefits, other than Nielsen? I can certainly get by on only one major trade show/convention per year. The cost of attending both ShowEast and ShoWest has gotten out of hand, especially if you are sending a contingent of more than two or three personnel.

My prediction is that ShowEast will continue on a scaled-down basis, closer to the size of a regional convention, while the NATO Convention in 2011 will be the dominant annual convention of the industry, with the complete support from all of the studios and equipment dealers.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:Show East 2009 07 Nov 2009 10:03 #32737

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes NATO needs to run these and one large one is fine. I get more done at the smaller regional convention and Showeast than Showest becuase it is wat too big and all about the show. Showest and Showeast have been better run since Neilson has taken them over. We don't have things starting 30 to 45 min late as normal, which was the case befofre Neilson. I hope NATO can continue the where Neilson left off and not go back to the old ways. We are an industry that prides itself as running on time but our own convention never did.

Knowing several vendors I know the floor space rate has just gotten out of control. NATO should not loose money on floor space but it should not be a major profit center. I think this is a good time to negotiate rates since I am sure hotels are down and would welcome a new multi year contract. I hope NATO comes through with an afordable deal for everyone which will make the shows even more productive for the industry.

Re:Show East 2009 08 Nov 2009 15:05 #32743

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I spent two years on an independent board of trustees within the video store trade association. I was amazed that everything we did almost always had to make money for the association.

That group no longer has an annual show. The costs were not bad. $120 or so for The Venetian and the show passes where pretty reasonable too. But the studios stopped supporting the show. then attendance started too decline. Then exhibitors stopped showing up. Then.......

For the big chains. they have no reason to go unless they want to provide their staff a good time. Vegas yes, Orlando no. But even then, many companies are cutting back that stuff (unless you get fed gov money-sorry for digressing). Each one of those chains can talk to any studio/equipment person they want at a drop of a hat. many could probably demand a face-to face meeting at a drop of a hat. So they have no need to go.

Many smaller chains can probably accomplish the same thing outside of showeast.

So you are left with just smaller exhibitors who could use the show. Oh wait the internet has cut back on the need to meet in person as we can network here and FT. Shame on you Mike!!

Re:Show East 2009 09 Nov 2009 09:42 #32763

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Good point. It is Mike who is helping kill the old ways. Shame on you Mike!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction