Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009!

What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009! 13 Oct 2009 19:53 #32576

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
After thinking long and hard about what has hurt our industry I have come up with this.....RENTRAK .. Sounds strange.. But here I go. Since numbers are posted on almost every theater in the nation on Rentrak it has become very easy for big company's to follow. In the old days" Regal " would have to call every studio on each film to see how the competition is doing . Now they see what there competition is doing and see areas they don't even have theaters in . Hence an indi in lets say ohio is doing booming bsns in a town, Regal says lets build one down the street.

This is one of the biggest detriment to our industry.No other industry do you know how much you competition does almost to the penny. One can deduce from industry standards what your candy sales are. With a click of a button we have helped all our competition . Now I love Rentrak its fun to see what others do ,but i dont have 10 million to build next to a big REGAL theater doing great bsns.

When we lived in the shadows of pre computers it was much much harder and took many man hours to see the box office results of individual theaters.

Just my opinion....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009! 13 Oct 2009 20:33 #32577

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey slap!

I believe your opinion is valid if one wants to operate in markets large enough to interest "Regal". However, there are markets where the "Regals" will never build because of the smaller population base and that is where independents, when properly operated as a small town theatre, should do well.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009! 13 Oct 2009 21:09 #32578

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I AGREE..

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 13 Oct 2009 22:43 #32579

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You can opt not to allow other exhibitors to see your grosses, right? But if you do this, you are also not allowed to see anyone else's grosses. That's what I was told the last time I checked, but it has been some time.

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 13 Oct 2009 23:08 #32580

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
that is correct...but there are studios that wont play you if you dont report to rentrak....

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 13 Oct 2009 23:09 #32581

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
does anyone NOT report to RENTRAK?

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 14 Oct 2009 00:37 #32583

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if you are able to log in and see everyone else's grosses then they can see yours, but if you choose not to sign up to see everyone else's grosses, then they cannot see yours.

I asked about that a couple of years ago and that is what a Rentrak representative told me, so I chose not to get a login ID to see others grosses, under the impression that this protects me from other exhibitors (not studios, bookers, etc) being able to see my grosses.

Nevertheless, I report to them everyday.

I have not followed up on it because I don't care that much. We are in a tiny town.

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 14 Oct 2009 10:25 #32584

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I know what you mean....I f you dont report you cant see other theaters..But you could get the numbers from your film buyer(if you have one) as film buyers get the whole country's numbers.

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 20 14 Oct 2009 11:22 #32585

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Plus the studio will tell you if you ask about another theater's grosses in most case.

Not a plus to Rentrak IMHO: I was able to argue to get a film that I did deserve if a studio looks mostly at comparable films. I track a few theaters in my area and with the information that Rentrak give sme I was able to back up getting a movie recently. I have also been able to get one studio to back off guarantees b/c I knew other lesser grossing theaters were not paying them.

So I think there is more good than bad. As the bad can still happen rather easily without Rentrak.

Re:What really is killing independent Cinema in 2009! 14 Oct 2009 12:06 #32586

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Another source they can get the numbers from is Entertainment Data Inc a Division of the Nielsen Companies. If memory serves they will prepare a report of a market area with all grosses. For a price of course. But that would not hold back any of the big guys if they were interested in a specific market.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction