Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Many questions

Many questions 24 Sep 2009 08:36 #32412

• movielover
  • Fresh Boarder
I have posted before about the lease on our theater. It is owned by a committee I am on. The lessor has left the building and I will go and inspect everything on Monday. We own the contents. What needs to be checked?

More questions to come.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Many questions 24 Sep 2009 09:42 #32415

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
That would need to be spelled out in the lease .If you don't have it listed by each item it really does not mean much. So check the lease.

Re:Many questions 24 Sep 2009 11:54 #32416

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
If you do not know what you are doing you'll fall in a bid dark hole. It starts with the building: life safety, all systems, etc. Is everything up to code or will you be hit by the town/city to update all? After that bring in an equipment/ movie theatre equip person. If they do not want to visit take photos of everything and send it out to them for review. Get a projectionist to come over and run a reel of trailers on each. Etyc. etc. If you do not know what you are doing I urge you to get professional help as it will save you money. This is not a DIY business.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Many questions 06 Oct 2009 19:28 #32499

• movielover
  • Fresh Boarder
First, thank you for the above advice.
We have a equipment person coming in to check the projectionist and sound system this week.
The place is a mess and needs to be cleaned. Need to know how to clean the projection rooms and theater floors. There is popcorn, sticky candy & dust everywhere. If I understand all that I have read, it's best to not stir up dust. So, would the first thing to do is vaccum up all we can, sweep lightly and then mop & scrub?
We need to get this place spiffed up to lease out.

Thank you

Re:Many questions 06 Oct 2009 21:47 #32503

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
WERE IS YOUR THEATER...MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE HERE THAT MIGHT LIKE IT....

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 00:44 #32506

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
It's best to let the equipment man go over the projectors. Cleaners that are good for the machines aren't good for lenses and reflectors. Spray the wrong stuff in the wrong place and you can find yourself replacing lenses and sound sensors. If you don't get into the machinery or equipment racks, the room can be cleaned the same as any other. The equipment man might give you a price to "tune up" the projectors and sound. However, if it's not terrible, you might let the new tenant have that done. Chances are, you won't get your money back out of a new set of lamps and a professional checkover if the tenant leaves. Maybe consider an appropriate credit on his rent after so many months to cover a PM visit.

A good steam cleaning will take most stuff out of the carpets. Light cleaners, like Simple Green will work for most other applications. Some seats can be wiped down, others might need some kind of upholstery cleaner... or maybe even a professional. Hopefully, your seats are not obsolete & you can still get whatever parts you might need.

Drapes might need cleaning. However, that can require reapplication of a fire retardant, then recertification for the local fire marshall. Don't go there if you don't have to. In many cases a good vacuuming job will do the trick, and that won't mess with the fire retardant.

Don't touch the screen! If it's dirty, you can make a real mess of it fast. Few people know how to clean them properly. In many cases, it's just cheaper to replace them. If there are any tears or attempts at repairing them, replacement is an easier choice.

If it takes a while to find a new tenant, plan to go in from time to time and run the HVAC equipment. Stagnant air contributes to mold, mildew & resultant stale "old theatre" odors that can take a couple of months to clear out.

There's probably more, but that's the major stuff that comes to mind, based on what you've told us about the place.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009 00:47 by rodeojack.

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 07:40 #32507

• movielover
  • Fresh Boarder
Rodeojack, Thanks. As you can tell by my questions we do not know much about movie theaters. We are trying our best to clean it up ASAP before critters take over & try to get it leased out.
Slapintheface & others, I have posted pictures of the Rialto Theater in Three Rivers, Texas on www.photobucket.com
username maryann266
password rialto

As you can see in the last picture the floors are a bit dirty. Or is that standard in a movie theater?
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009 08:20 by movielover. Reason: added to

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 09:12 #32509

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
I have seen a lot worse. Thats not bad for a theatre someone just left. Sure its needs cleaning but looks usable. Can it be run and survive in the market is the real question.

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 09:42 #32512

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Actually, the place looks quite serviceable. The mess you see behind the seats isn't all that unusual... though maybe a little on the extreme side. It's easier to clean ahead of those seats, and people will take the easy way out sometimes.

Looks like some hand scrubing and a floor machine will do wonders on your tile, as will a little paint under the concession counters.

Your projectors look like a reasonable combination of a somewhat recent upgrade, along with a few of the good classic pieces. I personally do not like Ballantyne projectors (very hard to keep a stable picture), but the lens turrets indicate you don't have the oldest models. The lamphouses are among the best, going back to the '70s. That's OK, as long as the reflectors are still in good shape. Doesn't look like there's anything really offensive in there, as long as the equipment is mechanically, and electronically operable. You can't tell that from the pictures.

You'll have to decide how far you want to go with those seats. Some of them will probably clean up pretty well with a scrubber, while the older ones might need paint on the backs. The cockeyed backs might be fixable... a classic product of the rows being spaced close enough that people can drape their legs over them or kick them from behind.

Overall though, it doesn't look like you have a huge problem there. Small town theatres exist all over the place that are in much worse shape than what I see from your pictures.

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 16:51 #32523

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
As has been mentioned movielover the place is very servicable but does need cleaning and the masking in one of the theatres needs repair. I hope you find an operator who shares the ideas you and I talked about. Being the only theatre in three counties there is a lot of potential.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Many questions 07 Oct 2009 21:24 #32527

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I agree that the theater looks decent.

As far as its potential: The town of Three Rivers, Tx is less than 2000 right? How much population can it draw from?

Re:Many questions 08 Oct 2009 07:50 #32530

• movielover
  • Fresh Boarder
About 9 years ago whe it was reopened it did very well up to about a year ago. Lease money of $1,000 was paid every month. Then things started falling apart between us and lessor. They said they couldnt pay their bills. IMHO I think they over-extended themselves with opening two other theaters.
I do not know why it cannot be a success. If I was younger and did not have the business I have, I would jump on it.

Re:Many questions 08 Oct 2009 22:09 #32538

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Your lease price seems extremely reasonable. If an experienced exhibitor can't get $1,000 out of a twin like that, perhaps it's time to consider repurposing the building.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction