Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO?

HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 22 Sep 2009 23:28 #32400

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
WE DONT
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 23 Sep 2009 03:17 #32402

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Been a NATO member for as long as there has been a NATO.
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 23 Sep 2009 12:05 #32403

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We do but I often think "Why?". I think they need to help the small guys more since they are more of us than the big guys. They only seam to do things at 50,000 foot level when they could help more at the 10,000 or less foot level.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 23 Sep 2009 14:50 #32404

• SMMORRIS
  • Senior Boarder
We do and have for many years. The few times I have called on them for information or advise, I have found them to be very responsive and helpful.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 23 Sep 2009 15:00 #32405

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have been since first buying the theatre ( 13 yrs ago ).
The usefulness of belonging comes and goes.
Right now I'm sticking with it and CBG just in case by some miracle it actually helps when it comes time to convert to digital.
It's a relatively small investment that will hopefully pay off in some way down the road if I need them.

Tony

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 04:43 #32411

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
For more information about NATO, see link below.
http://www.natoonline.org

Membership is more than worthwhile, in my opinion.
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 09:00 #32413

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I am not a member and never have been in my 3 years in this industry.

I have been in the video industry for 20 years and had been a member of the old VSDA, then EMA as well as being a board of trustee of the iDEA (the independent part of the EMA). I have not been a member of that association for a couple of years now because of their horrible use of money and the attitude from some of the staff of EMA about how dare you question how we spend money.

The trade show; which used to have lots of stars, social gattherings sponsored by studios, freebies, and decent educational seminars died officially last year I believe but in reality died a couple of years ago as the studios stopped supporting the trade show and fewer independent members in the industry. Also the internet certainly has hurt all trade assoications as it has become easier to find information. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that I can't find information on that I can't find from here or FT.

The only significant benefit from the EMA is their legislative efforts which have been excellent.

I have never heard much about what NATO does for its members. I would be happy to hear about them if anyone wants to say. Unfortunately the link you posted does not work.

As far as the CBG goes: I have mentioned before I am skeptical of any entity that says we can't tell you much about us until you join. I would have been too late to be part of the first wave of digital installations (or would it be better to call it a ripple?) and I have never heard of any tangible savings anyone has received from being a CBG member (please if anyone has examples please tell me).

I sense that the trade shows are headed the same way that the home video trade shows went.

So I am willing to listen if anyone wants to say what good they get from NATO.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 09:36 #32414

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Please list some things NATO has done that would help ones theater.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 14:49 #32418

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
rufusjack wrote:
Unfortunately the link you posted does not work.

I just tried the link, and it worked perfectly fine for me.

rufusjack wrote:
So I am willing to listen if anyone wants to say what good they get from NATO.

I will address your request when I have sufficient time, since my response will be lengthy and fully detailed.

Rick

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 15:05 #32419

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
Please list some things NATO has done that would help ones theater.

I am pressed for time, but I will address this briefly with a few obvious examples.

Moderating the ADA laws and regulations. If it were up to certain groups, all theatres would be required to provide handicap seating located in areas of the auditorium which would be impractical. The same goes for hard-of-hearing regulations, both of which battles are ongoing.

FTC regulation of movie ratings, which if the conservatives had their way, would require all movies depicting smoking to carry an R rating. NATO and the MPAA work together to insure that the government stays out of the ratings system. How would you like to pay a $500 fine for every time an underage person gains admittance to an R rated movie? Laws like those have been proposed on a national and local basis, and NATO has been there to oppose it. Think it could never happen in our country? Look at the laws which punish business owners for selling alcohol or cigarettes to minors. If the conservatives had their way, movie theatres would be subject to the same measure.

I could go on like this for hours with numerous examples of NATO's value to our industry, but unfortunately I have a business to run with work to accomplish. If you don't realize what the value of a professional trade association is to this multi-billion dollar industry, you are free to wallow in your own ignorance and let others do the heavy lifting on your behalf.

Rick Cohen
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009 18:42 by Transit Drive in.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 16:46 #32420

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow- Rick you did not seem like such a dick in person. Take a pill and drink your liberal cool aid. If your what NATO has to offer no thanks.. Save your money till you can go to a trade show. Sorry Mike I know he is your friend
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009 16:50 by slapintheface.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 17:44 #32421

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Except that he is right, which has nothing to do with "liberal cool aid." The ADA issues are huge, we are currently struggling with this with a local group giving us guff because we have stairs (for shame). You seriously don't think the "moral majority" would want to crack down on movie ratings?

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 18:35 #32422

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
Wow- Rick you did not seem like such a dick in person. Take a pill and drink your liberal cool aid. If your what NATO has to offer no thanks.. Save your money till you can go to a trade show. Sorry Mike I know he is your friend

As anyone who knows me well will gladly tell you, I'm a much bigger dick in person, you just haven't spent enough time with me to realize it. :)

Rick
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009 18:40 by Transit Drive in.

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 18:43 #32424

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi guys/ love you both/ no need to call anyone a name/ say what you mean / say it as strong as you like but keep it polite. Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:HOW MANY BELONG TO NATO? 24 Sep 2009 19:44 #32426

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Wow! I love lively debate.

Please keep a watchful eye on both parties please. Yes, there are many in the conservative group which would love to put more requirements on us regarding ratings. Just as many on the left would like to impose more regualtions regarding ADA, min. wage, and now health insurance. Do you want to be taxed if you do not provide health insurance to your staff?

I will grant you that NATO and EMA have been very good in their legislative efforts.

The NATO website worked for me tonight. Outside of legislative efforts I find little to no value in the rest of the benefits that are mentioned.

My reluctance to join has probably more to do with how they old VSDA/now EMA had handled money. Since their are many similarities between the two organizations, I may have been unfairly skeptical of NATO.

But, I am not ready to join. Now I will go back to wallowing in my ignorance.

BTW, I have been to Washington D.C. and my state capital to lobby. So I have done some lifting.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction