Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Move-over booking

Move-over booking 06 Sep 2009 16:53 #32268

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
It seems that there are many times when studios do not seem to care much about the move-over business. Why? They say there are no prints avaliable then Rentrak says differently. Once Rentrak had a film losing 150 locations and no prints availabe!

Can anyone explain how studios track what prints are available?

The earlier they can get that print to us the more money they can make. I know in the video rental business that week 3+ customer is my favorite as I make 100% profit on them..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Move-over booking 07 Sep 2009 10:55 #32270

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
who does your booking? That may be part of the problem.

Also they may judge that the delivery charges and time needed to get it off screen from one theatre and to your theatre is not worth it or does not work.

Also: there are film co people who view small theatres as a pain in the wazoo and don't want to bother with it.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Move-over booking 07 Sep 2009 12:07 #32272

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
In our delivery market my understanding is this. On Monday the distributors learn which prints are holding and which ones are coming off that week. By Tuesday they know and can report X amount locations dropped their print. Now the actual print does not come off until Thursday night. And depending on when the print delivery / pick up driver arrives that week. That print may sit there until next week. Now the print is off screen but not back to the shipping depot. So the distributor does not have the print in "inventory" to ship out. Over the years with move-over we ran into this a lot. So we either went and picked up a print from another area theatre or paid a special courier to do it. (quite expensive) Those were the only ways to get prints faster, instead of waiting for them to get back to the shipping depot.

Re:Move-over booking 07 Sep 2009 15:51 #32274

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a move-over theatre as well.
And I occasionally run into this issue.

I'm not sure whether the booker can make much difference in this situation.
I have been booking myself for a little while now and have not noticed any difference on this issue.

We also try to pick up the print from the other theatre in town if possible, more to save money than anything.

I have also run into the issue with the studio's rigid release pattern,
esp with limited release films. I often get told that I have to wait til X date before they are booking the film in my size market, which is a small town of about 15,000.

I think that if you ask the rep when you can get it, you may get an explanation and an opportunity to plead your case for a particular film.

Re:Move-over booking 07 Sep 2009 18:16 #32275

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
So far in this 2nd move-over season for us seasonal first-run: we have recieved 4 movies by move-over. 2 came from the Depot (one b/c we needed something new to us and the other was told that wa sthe first we could play it) and 2 from other theaters the furthest of which was 2.5 hours away in another depot than what we normally deal with. Sony was the studio for those two and I thank them for their help.

The problem with waiting for films to come from the depot is that the pick-ups in my area are horrible. It is not uncommon for us to have a film for 3-4 weeks after it is done playing.

I have told all of my reps that I would drive to 2-3 hours to pick up a film. Seldom do they ask me to.

Re:Move-over booking 09 Sep 2009 10:18 #32277

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
This seems strange to me. I book move-over and have done so since we opened in 2003. I rarely have a problem and most times they come from the depot. Occasionally I get them circuited (My movie this week is a circuit) and I sometimes drive for it to a nearby theater and sometimes they get delivered to me. I never have too much of a problem getting them (Julie and Julia was hard but that is rare). Pickups leave here on Fridays every week no problem. Usually I get four to six week old movies without having to ask twice without any trouble, if they are older never a problem. Two or three week old ones are usually difficult but I can get them too on occasion.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Move-over booking 09 Sep 2009 22:39 #32280

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Leeler,

The problem is worse this time of the year. On these 2800 or less locations there are probably at least 15 fewer theaters playing films on the break in the KC district. Their might only be 4-5 locations with multiple prints. On J&J, problably none. We are all fighting for those films that come off. Anything decent at a 6 plex or up stays 3-4 weeks or more in the case of Disney. (Except horror as they fall so hard so quickly)

My point is that there are a couple of studios that seem to be reluctant to circuit a print. With so few prints becoming available.

Re:Move-over booking 10 Sep 2009 11:15 #32281

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I agree that this time of year is always more difficult to book. The late spring is also tough. In any case, what lots of these small town theaters seem to be doing is picking up summer films they missed that are much older. I've seen an upswing in titles like My Sisters Keeper and Public Enemies that, while older, did not gets loads of coverage in these areas prior. Maybe that is a direction to consider???
"What a crazy business"

Re:Move-over booking 10 Sep 2009 11:17 #32282

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
JULIE AND JULIA IS A BIG HIT WITH US ...GREAT FALL PICK UP

Re:Move-over booking 10 Sep 2009 11:49 #32283

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Julie & Julia is still not available to me yet. 27 locations opening week in the KC area, 32 are playing this past week. Compare that to 68 locations for G.I. Joe. OUCH!

We are picking up other films that did not do much. Problem many of them (My Sister's Keeper & Public Enemies) alraedy ran for good run in the area. PE ran in the discount houses for multiple weeks already. We will be bringing in some ind. films that did not play in the area (500 days-have now, Goods, Extract, Moon).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction