Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby New Here - Seeking Advice
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Here - Seeking Advice

New Here - Seeking Advice 27 Aug 2009 07:43 #32219

• LDCarter
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask this type of question. If I'm wrong, then I apologize. Here's my situation.

I live in Atlanta, GA and I'm looking to start a theater in my area. There's a town on the outskirts of the city that's been growing greatly over the past few years. In that town, there's an old theater that I want to revive. The building is in great shape (surprisingly). The building has to be at least 15 years old. Someone opened a theater before the town was developed. So I think it would be a great idea to redo the idea today.

So, my question is...where do I start? My MAIN concern is trying to figure out the price range to get the latest movies from film distributors. Could someone please give me some answers? Any advice is welcome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New Here - Seeking Advice 27 Aug 2009 08:49 #32222

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Get a notebook and place it next to your computer. then read every single post on these forums. The majority of your questions will be answered numerous times. I know I have read every sinlge post here while reading most 2-3 times. It will take a long weekend to do, but you need to do it.

Re:New Here - Seeking Advice 27 Aug 2009 16:10 #32224

• ReelET
  • Fresh Boarder
I agree with rufusjack. I started out in a similar situation as you just wanting to learn something I knew nothing about. I got a notebook and pencil and just started reading. I wrote anything down that I thought may come in useful later, and it pretty much all has come in useful whether I thought it would or not when I first read it. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site thanks to everyone who has taken part in these discussions. As you read, you will see the same question you posted over and over again with this same response.

Take the time to dig and see what you can uncover. It took me several weeks of reading whenever I got time, but eventually I got through it all and now I am lucky enough to only need to read new posts every day to stay current!

Re:New Here - Seeking Advice 27 Aug 2009 16:50 #32225

• LDCarter
  • Fresh Boarder
I wasn't trying to be repetitive, but I'll most definitely read through the old threads. Thanks for the advice.

Re:New Here - Seeking Advice 01 Sep 2009 17:04 #32249

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
Start with the Frequently Asked Questions forum. Among other things, it contains links to very useful posts in the other forums.

As a start-up, a booking agent will be an indispensable intermediary in dealing with the movie distributors. After you've read the info here about booking films and the costs, I'd suggest that you contact Annette Ashurst at The Ashurst Agency. They're listed first under Film Booking Services in this site's Directory section. Click the business name there to get to their phone number. Annette knows the Atlanta market, books mostly for small town theaters in Georgia and the Carolinas, charges a very reasonable fee for her booking service and has been at it long enough to have a good reputation and good contacts with the distributors.

I once co-owned a twin and a tri-plex in the Marietta area. Annette was invaluable to us.

Alan G
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction