Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Let the alternative movie proponents speak!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Let the alternative movie proponents speak!

Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 09:00 #32201

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I hate this time of the year. Over the next 6 weeks there is only one movie that we will probably get on the break. 65% of the movies we play are on the break. That 65% earns us 90% of our ticket sales. The average of the on the break film generates 5x what the move-over movie grosses.

My first question for you seasonal first-runs...Do you see the same thing as well? (BTW you can easily download into an excel spreadsheet from rentrak)

So this week, we were told no prints of District 9, Time Travelers Wife, Julie & Julia, & 500 Days of Summer were available. So to have at least a new movie to play (3 screens) this week we are playing Perfect Getaway (all acounts a good movie Imdb 6.8 rating but no one has been going to it). Last year seemed to better for move-over at this time: Mamma Mia, Wanted, Hellboy 2, Journey to Center. Is it just me?

So Bob and others. Please help us out. I am beholden to the blockbusters. I have played Amazing Grace, Bella, One Night With The King, Facing the Giants, Fireproof, Adventureland, Righteous Kill, Traitor and others that were passed by the megaplex that I compete with to very little success.

In my 20 years of video rental, I have found that it is hard to get people to even look at the alternative titles. Even yesterday Fighting had 6x the demand than Sunshine Cleaning had in my video stores.

Even in Columbia MO just 40 mins away from me; 100,000 population, 4 year state university with 25,000 students only has one - 2 screen arthouse theater. The theater is run as a non-profit that seeks grants and donations from the public. The belief (from the business manager there) is that the theater could not operate without the non-profit desgination.

So, sorry for rambling. For those of you that beleive in the non-mainstream Blockbusters, HELP!!!!!

How do you promote these non-mainstream films? To what success do you have vs the mainstream stuff? What are the particulars of your market?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 16:59 #32208

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Jack:

When you booked those inspirational and evangelical films did you contact all the churches in your area or the Ministerial association? That should help your bottom line on those pics. And while this following statement may not drop any coins in your piggy God saw what you did and was pleased I'm sure.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 17:23 #32210

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I make a very good living at it, often out grossing 12 screen complexes with my 3 . Perfect getaway is good but limited bsns.... my priority would be over the next few weeks.......Julie and julia ..inglourious basterds...."9".....district 9 .......away we go ..... proposal......500 days.....food inc...
hurt locker....gamer.......In order to make off beat films it will take 3 things....time up to a year of programing....blogging on line twitter, facebook, my space and tie ins .....Food inc have guest chef talk after a show send emails to all conservation groups...JULIE AND JULIA tie in a food place with gift certificate.....give away a few cookbooks ........have chefs speak..... We have done all of these things including having a group celebrate her birthday. 5oo days of summer college night..We had a promotion for the cove this Monday and the film did 2,300 on 2 shows...All markets are different and doing $500 may be great for your location....It does not matter lots nore money in off beat titles. Moon is another title we did ok on ( as a filler 1 week ) we did$ 2,300 @35%.. Our weekend drop number is $2,300 at the 3 screen and $6,500 @ the single. Yours might be $1,000...

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 17:26 #32212

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
lots of typos on the last one........sorry.....did not proof read.....my bad

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 23:34 #32214

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Bob,

Yep. Every church got a flyer hand delivered to their door. A couple of problems: For Facing The Giants and One Night w/ King we had a horrible ice storm. And 2: this clientele spends horribly at the concession stand.

Slap,
Some good ideas there. All of those you have mentioned are on our watch list. I do have a problem passing on the some blockbusters to play non-mainstream film year around. If I would have done that last Christmas we would have passed on Marley & Me. Ouch !!! So we are probably looking at about programming these type of movies 8 mos at the most UNLESS they start doing something.

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 26 Aug 2009 23:51 #32215

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
It does take time to make it work 3 years at this location.

Re:Let the alternative movie proponents speak! 27 Aug 2009 00:02 #32216

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I now play art 9 months and 3 months (summer) 1 ST RUN with a few art pics.

THIS SUMMER FIRST RUN @ THE ART HOUSE WAS

BRUNO
PUBLIC ENEMY
LAND OF THE LOST
JULIE & JULIA
ALL ABOUT STEVE
TAKING WOODSTOCK (THAT FALLS EITHER WAY)

ART THIS SUMMER
CHERI
FOOD INC
THE COVE
MOON
500 DAYS
AWAY WE GO
EASY VIRTUE

THE ONLY BOMB THIS SUMMER--LAND OF THE LOST
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction