Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SINGLE SCREEN!

SINGLE SCREEN! 24 Aug 2009 00:41 #32172

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
There are still hundreds of single screens operating in the nation. I think my single screen is the top grossing independently owned (single screen) theater in the nation. Now there are chains that have single screen with higher grosses. I don't have all data on California and Chicago. Not sure who owns the Castro in San Fran. Any other big indi theaters in those cities i am missing. Why do I care? We are sending out a new portfolio to all studios about our theater and would love to add that info. Need to be sure I am correct.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 24 Aug 2009 16:51 #32179

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I have seen your numbers and I want your money. :) You could always say one of instead of THE. Your distribs should know that info. Ask the booker. If it was me: I'd say" THE highest grossing etc. and let someone prove you wrong! :laugh:
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2009 16:52 by Mike.

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 24 Aug 2009 21:19 #32180

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
You checkin up on me...lol

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 25 Aug 2009 09:07 #32184

• Mike
  • Administrator
Actually: you posted what you did for a few films. Very impressive. Goes to show that in the right location with the right management single screens can make a buck.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 31 Aug 2009 09:56 #32235

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
Congrats Slap! The one independent screen I know of that is doing gangbusters like yourself is the State Theatre in Traverse City, Michigan. Michael Moore championed its renovation as part of his Film Festival. Not sure how their numbers compare to yours now, but in their first year (2008) they were making claims similar to your claims.

link here: traversecityfilmfest.org/statetheatre/

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 31 Aug 2009 18:06 #32236

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Our 1st 15 weeks we have $320,00.00 in box!

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 01 Sep 2009 14:36 #32247

• Mike
  • Administrator
..... but what have you done for me lately? :)
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 01 Sep 2009 18:55 #32252

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
you sound like a studio//////lol

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 14:52 #32286

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
OK Slap,
I am duly impressed. Any advice for us other single screen owners out there? Do you run 7 days a week? How close is your competition? We have 900 seats and a new "chain" that moved in 3 years ago about 2 miles away and are trying to figure out how to make it work. One big problem is being able to get product. One more question, wanna buy another one?!!

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 17:59 #32290

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
ok......a few questions.....and a few comments.We have tons of competion just over 3 miles to 20 miles -97- screens-.If you were there first you should have no problem getting product in a clearence situation.The studios must share product if you were first.Get a booker if you dont have one.Do not book yourself .We are open 7 days year round. MAttinee all summer& holidays.School starts we run mat fri,sat ,sun and 5pm START MON TO THURS. How many screens in the chain? how big is your screen ? What state are you in ?

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 18:03 #32291

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Do you have a college near the theater? Do you twitter ,facebook about the theater? 900 seats wow! Love to have that many seats we hgave 450. What is your population. Lots of questions.But i will put a game plan together for for you. We also have a $5.oo plus per cap.You can turn that around.

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 19:35 #32292

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Slap,
We have been told time and again by the film co's that they are going to only put X amount of prints in our town and if it doesn't go wide enough it ain't gonna be with us because the other theatre sends them more money. The other theatre has 8 screens; our screen is huge I think it's around 20'tall x 26' wide; we are in Ohio; our population in our small town is 16,505. I do need to mention, however, that my husband and I do not live in the area. We purchased the theatre three years ago and planned on hiring a manager, that totally fell through, that's why we have been trying to hobble along on live events to pay the bills. The theatre is a Schine theatre, built in 1941 and still has all original wool carpet, art deco murals, art deco lights and a balcony with bathrooms for men and women, with the little area outside of each bathroom to sit and freshen up your make-up! I feel the movies, if done right and consistently for a better price than the 8 screen, would be more than enough to pay the bills. That's why I would like to go back to that and run it strictly as a movie theatre. There is no college near the theatre. I tried to set up a facebook for the theatre just recently and I was not able to do it because I don't have a personal one, which I don't want. So I just dropped it. Do you know of way to have a business facebook without a personal one? Also, we are still running carbon arc, so that has been a challenge to find someone who actually knows what they are doing to get the picture on the screen and make it look good with flawless changeovers. Not opposed to changing equipment. Thanks for all your help!

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 19:45 #32293

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
POST THE LINK TO YOUR COMPETITION WEB SITE.....MAKE A LIST IN THE LAST 2 YEARS YOUR TOP 1O MOVIES YOU HAVE PLAYED.(NO NEED TO POST ACTUAL NUMBERS) DO YOU USE A BOOKER?

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 19:47 #32294

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
WHO RUNS THE THEATER if you dont live near it?

Re:SINGLE SCREEN! 10 Sep 2009 19:51 #32295

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Your not listed on CINEMA TREASURES...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction