Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc

showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc 21 Aug 2009 16:33 #32160

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We have discussed this often but as near as I can tell the reality is that there is an enormous amount of free movies being shown and I cannnot imagine they are all paying the fees. Look at what you have to go through just to set up shop with the distribs. Same with the non-theatrical folks. I think most people decide to show the movies and see what happens and in fact nothing is what happens. In my town a guy at the libary does a Friday night showing, and everywhere you go it's in parks, etc. I am sure: NYC and Bryant Park must pay. (They need to afford Sally!) but the more podunk the less likely. Do you know of parks and rec, towns, etc. that showed free movies and were shut down?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc 21 Aug 2009 17:21 #32161

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have had more than a few of these local "movies in the park" type shows shut down. Once they realize that they are being watched, and they receive a stern warning from a studio which has had their films used without permission, they mostly go away. The catch is that someone has to pay attention to when these are going on, and follow trough with the studio in question to assure they have proper licensing.

The people putting these events on seem to feel as though, since they are not charging any admission, they don't need to pay any royalty either. As we all know, that is not sound reasoning, and the studio in question will take steps to educate the offending parties. The first offense will likely receive a stern warning, and I have yet to see a second offense after they have been duly notified of their obligations.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc 21 Aug 2009 19:07 #32162

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
lots in charleston

Re:showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc 21 Aug 2009 23:06 #32165

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The "Olympia Ou tdoor Cinema" here in Olympia, Washington was shutdown by Paramount and Universal back in 2006. Seems both studios objected to public exhibition of DVD's of their movies. The City of Olympia was also warned because the outdoor cinema people were using city streets and city property to publicly advertise the video showings. Every major intersection had a small sign advertising the showings and the local newspaper mentioned the movie titles several times a week in the entertainment section. In fact, the city was actually sanctioning the showings by closing off some city streets in the area so people could set up lawn chairs to watch the showings. Also, several vendors setup food booths and sold food before, during, and after the showings.

Paramount and Universal obviously did not like that and had their lawyers swing into action. High profile advertising was bound to catch the attention of the big boys soon or later.
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009 23:10 by Ken Layton.

licensing question 23 Aug 2009 00:50 #32166

• movieman
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Folks.
I'm currently entertaining the possibility of opening a very small theater that would cater to the large number of families in my All-American town.
My desire is to project from commercial DVDs !
Don't laugh, I'm serious.

Can someone explain to me any licensing obstacles that may arise and if there are bookoing agents that could handle this?
I'm assuming that it would be a bit different from obtaining prints.
Thank you.

Re:showing movies for "free" at libray, outdoors, etc 23 Aug 2009 16:44 #32170

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
To both of the newbies that have posted in the last 24 hours:

Please read these posts that are on this forum. It might take you a weekend to read these, but the answers you seek have been covered numerous times.

Sorry I am a bit cold in this post. But being a business owner is not easy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction