Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Distributors charges...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Distributors charges...

Distributors charges... 10 Aug 2009 06:48 #32087

• Paul_M
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am new to this forum and industry so please forgive me if this topic is discussed elsewhere.

Can someone please give me some info in the typical charges (and structure) charged by distributors to small theatres for showing their movies?
I read somewhere that they can charge between 50% - 90% of gross box office takings. Is this correct? If so how do small theatres survive if this is the case?

Is the structure always the same, i.e. % of box office or do they sometimes charge a set fee?

What would one expect to pay for non mainstream movies?

Thank you for your help.

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Distributors charges... 10 Aug 2009 08:56 #32089

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Paul,

For mainstream pictures on the break you would pay the %'s you listed. If you can wait and play the movie a fews weeks after the opening then you can get it for 35% - 50% range in most cases. It will vary depending on the film companies and how "Big" the picture is.

Re:Distributors charges... 10 Aug 2009 12:01 #32090

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
MOST NON MAINSTREAM MOVIES ARE A FLAT 35%

Re:Distributors charges... 10 Aug 2009 19:54 #32093

Paul,
I run a small single screen theatre in a town of 2,500 in Northeast Louisiana and play movies about three weeks out. We pay 35% on every movie that we play.

Re:Distributors charges... 10 Aug 2009 19:57 #32094

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
In '06 when I managed a single screener in Iowa I was charged a percentage (usually 35% to 50%). But when my gross exceeded a certain amount at least one company (Disney) charged me 90%. I got classic films at a flat rate (usually $250).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Distributors charges... 11 Aug 2009 05:34 #32101

• Paul_M
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys,

And what would the house allowance be for a 1 screen theatre?

I am also considering offering private party bookings, (e.g. childrens birthday parties). I am wondering what the rate would be for movies suitable for these.
Revrobor, you say that you were charged a flat fee of $250 for classics, - do you think there would be an option with the distributors to lease movies at a reduced rate for one off viewings? (This will be digital so the cost of distribution will be greatly reduced.)

Thanks again,

Paul

Re:Distributors charges... 11 Aug 2009 17:19 #32102

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Paul_M wrote:
Thanks guys,

And what would the house allowance be for a 1 screen theatre?

I am also considering offering private party bookings, (e.g. childrens birthday parties). I am wondering what the rate would be for movies suitable for these.
Revrobor, you say that you were charged a flat fee of $250 for classics, - do you think there would be an option with the distributors to lease movies at a reduced rate for one off viewings? (This will be digital so the cost of distribution will be greatly reduced.)

Thanks again,

Paul

You need to remember the distributors are in business to make money and they are not likely to cut you any slack. I'm straining my old brain here but I believe that price was for a one time showing (Sat afternoon) or at least that's how I scheduled it. I probably could have run it for a week at the same price. Distribs are not concerned with the amount of work (especially on the exhibs part).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction