Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SAT 4 TH OF JULY

SAT 4 TH OF JULY 05 Jul 2009 01:30 #31795

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
TOOK A HIT TODAY WITH THE 4 TH ON A SAT.........LOTS OF COOL FIREWORKS!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 05 Jul 2009 13:43 #31798

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Slow as expected. Decent matinee. Dead evening.

I remember going out to eat at a normally busy restaurant on a July 4th years ago. I think I may have been the only customer there.

Independence day is a time to get outside and do things with family, not sit inside.

Drive-ins are probably different since they are obviously outside.

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 05 Jul 2009 13:58 #31799

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Expected to be dead. Gave my employees off and had only my wife there to help out when I go up to start the movie. Then it rained... made about twice what I do on a normal Saturday.B)

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 05 Jul 2009 19:56 #31802

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Only had a 3:00 matinee which did OK, nothing big. No show at night because of the free fireworks in town. Did a booming business in the morning selling concessions during the parade which goes down Main Street right in front of the theatre. The judging booth is next door.

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 05 Jul 2009 22:25 #31803

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
big day for a sunday today!

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 06 Jul 2009 12:58 #31804

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
My total Sat. out did my Friday because the rain did not stop as early as they predicted on Sat. We cut back on some help because Friday was much slower than we expected then we had to help most of the afternoon ourselves because we got so busy.

Sunday was a slow start but a booming late afternoon pulled out bigger numbers than Sat.

Our business has been picking up on the 4th. Used to be a dead holiday for us since we are a small town in a big market but the matinees on the 4th have started to pull in like a regular weekend day. this maybe the 3rd year we have had a great 4th.

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 06 Jul 2009 20:14 #31806

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
tale of two theatres. Houlton has a huge 4th fair that runs for 5 days and peaks on the 4th. The first year I tried to fight it: 11 people came. After that we closed. This year we have had rain for 30 of the last 35 days. Don't even ask. :( :woohoo: :( :angry: :dry: :S We are about to go bonkers. Anyway the 4th came on a Sat with Transform and Ice Age: what to do? We opted to close betting rain or no rain we'd be bad off but were probably wrong as it was pouring and the phone was ringing. In Belfast we had rain and had 450 people show up.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 06 Jul 2009 21:12 #31812

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I always found consistency to be the best policy Mike. I would be open the same hours the same day of each year (with the exception of some added matinees). Our regular customers could count on it and weren't surprised by a "Closed" sign hanging in the BO window. Yes, some days were very poor but, I believe, overall it paid off. I was never closed.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 06 Jul 2009 23:32 #31816

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
YOU NO MY POLICY..........NEVER CLOSE ....The city fire works are done in front of our theater as we are on the water.We had 42 people for the 10pm show............Not good for us but the 42 people were happy. SHOW MUST GO ON!

Re:SAT 4 TH OF JULY 07 Jul 2009 00:29 #31817

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Drive-ins are probably different since they are obviously outside.

Actually... that's not necessarily so.

We have a couple of waterfront displays on the 4th. The nearest one to me is about 8 miles from here.

On a night when we'd otherwise expect a full house, we'll get maybe 20 cars. Many of those people, missing the big displays, bring their fireworks to my place and want to set them off on the property... dry grass... kids running around... little control over where those things to... what a great idea!

Our extended family gets together on the 4th, so I have close the place for 22 of the 24 years I've been here. The staff loves it, it's a great day off for my family and I avoid having to tell people that no, they really can't bring their explosives here.

We do very well on either side of the 4th, and after all these years it's a "tradition" that the public and the film companies expect.

I do understand Slap's policy, but in this case it's something that doesn't work for me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction