Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their

Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 14 Jun 2009 12:41 #31689

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
This train wreck season of films cascading onto our screens sets up a very tough play with our distrib friends who want their prints on screen and they want them to stay there.

If you have few screens you choose and you'll tick off someone no matter what you play, or do not play. If you have many screens you'll tick them off when you try to final or double or move to a smaller screen.

If you have a decent amount of screens you'll be expected to open and hold. Everything.

For the life of me why the nutty release barrage that pours out films in a few months and drips them out at others?

Meanwhile I avoid some people and plead with others while trying to avoid the grudges such as "Not playing Teminator? Then don't call later!" Nice.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 14 Jun 2009 14:58 #31691

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Stand firm! It's about time exhibitors took back their theatres. Distributors have been calling the shots for far too long. If distributors of "Hollywood" product want to play hard ball look for product from elsewhere (independent, foreign, etc.). You'll have to do a lot of promoting but you just may develop a whole new audience.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 14 Jun 2009 22:56 #31692

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This is one of the main reasons I use a booker. This kind of behavior from studio salespeople, operating with their own personal/career motivations (make lots of money) directly clashes with many of my own criteria... like what's best for MY business.

Having many screens to service, I doubt my booker hears "don't call back" from anyone.

That alone is worth her fee, AFAIC.
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2009 22:57 by rodeojack.

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 14 Jun 2009 23:09 #31693

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Good point Jack. I learned when I was using a booker that the distribs saw him as having many screens to service (like the corporate big boys) and he was able to get me anything I wanted (even classic stuff).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 14 Jun 2009 23:26 #31694

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
We use a booker.My rule is when they come calling, and want us to play a film I turn the table back on them. What have you done for me? Fox Searchlight and Universal always get first choice in a tie. They always do right by me . So lets say Land of the lost is from universal and studio X has a picture that might gross better I always take Universal.

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 15 Jun 2009 10:10 #31697

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
this is very interesting to me. I'm so small that I never see any of this. I think I am the gravy and you guys are the meat and potatoes. When I call and look for a print they are almost suprised rather then any sort of obligation to play anything. I think it is a whole different ball game that you guys are playing. Good luck to you all, I like being where I am, though.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 15 Jun 2009 10:33 #31698

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
It can be a wild ride ..Not always fun but often crazy..Most of the studios are pretty good with us . There are 2 that are a problem and those I only play when it works for us.

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 16 Jun 2009 15:02 #31711

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Either way; book it yourself or use a booker and the rule of the world is "how much do you gross?". If you gross in the "market plan" you'll be on their radar. If you are not: it's relationship based. The Proposal was going to the top grossing 3000 theatres: and they know who you are. When one theatre was not on that list I had to work it harder than any booker would have. In any event: distrib personel get miffed at theatres. Maybe the booker absorbs all that as aprt of their pay check.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Getting pounded by distribs for not playing their 16 Jun 2009 17:53 #31712

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I believe PROPOSAL will be a big hit. Loved it!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction