Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing

digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 09 Jun 2009 19:35 #31674

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The last quote I saw was 80-100K per screen. We just do not gross enough to do this until the price comes down to something justifiable. Certainly if you are grossing larger numbers but if not how do you absorb it when 5 years from now they say "that's old and here's the new!" We can't. But if you're grossing big numbers they.///// of course.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 10 Jun 2009 15:50 #31678

• ReelET
  • Fresh Boarder
This is my first post after reading and reading and reading through all the Forum has to offer! First of all, let me thank all of you who have shared so much knowledge throughout these discussions. I have learned a lot and have enjoyed reading the past couple of months or so as I sifted through the conversations.

Now, to my reason for this post - I read somwhere (don't remember where) and wrote it down that all future Dreamworks and Pixar will be 3D. Has anyone else heard this? This would not mean that they were excusivley 3D, would it? There just aren't enough 3D screens for them to only do 3D, are there?

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 11 Jun 2009 08:24 #31679

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes they announced that over a year ago. Several directors also said from now on they would only make 3-D movies. As you can see from the last couple of releases they all put 3-D on the poster yet I think they have more 2-D prints out there on UP than 3-D ( Does anyone know this for sure? )

We have 2-D and got a couple of complaints on UP. I directed one couple to the theatre playing 3-D that was 20 minutes form us and told them there were several other 3-D screens in the near by City ( 45 minutes away ) but they stayed with me. They called their friends who they were meeting and told them it wasn't in 3-D but they were staying anyway so come join them.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 11 Jun 2009 11:48 #31680

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
I cover the small part of the posters that say 3D to avoid false advertising. I also state in my newspaper ads and on my phone messages that a feature is 2D whenever it has been advertised as 3D, but I don't put great emphasis on it. I also put a sign up at the box office that reads something like:

"UP" is 2D
--no glasses
--no headaches
--no price increases
--better color than 3D

So far only a few people have said anything... usually "Oh, I that it was in 3D", but they always buy tickets anyway.

The ones who seriously want to see it in 3D probably payed more attention to our notices and went elsewhere.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 11 Jun 2009 13:58 #31681

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I think any producer is guilty of "wishful thinking" when they think all of their product will be 3D. (BTW I haven't read any have made that statement.) We had 3D back in the '50s and the cost to exhibitors was far less (just two interlocked projectors). IMO "this too will pass".
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 12 Jun 2009 11:12 #31683

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
When they said that all Pixar would be 3-D it meant AND 2-D too. They will re-release Toy Story, etc. in 3-D this fall.

I do not think it will pass.

It is a simple matter of dollars. And the sime equation relationship of the cost of the equipment vs. the gross from that screen. It's simple: if you gross 25,000.00 on a weekend of UP you are more likely to be able to afford a 80K projector than a theatre that grosses 3200.00.

The big grossing theatres will go didi first and in the end they'll drag the smallest theatres over... by then it will be less expensive.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 12 Jun 2009 13:58 #31685

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I don't know Mike. I believe there are enough people out there that are most interested in a good story and are not all that impressed with the technology as are the techno-geeks. I think 2D film will be with us for a long-long time. If producers are smart they will make 3D just a part of the film like THX and not make it the "star" of the film. And with ticket prices climbing I don't believe people are going to sit still for paying extra for 3D (except the aforementioned techo-geeks).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009 14:09 by revrobor.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 22 Jun 2009 11:37 #31743

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
so here is food for thought:

I opened Hangover this past week (week 3) and received a low number print that had not been made up before. Was this a backup print for digital?

If so, then there would be no cost savings to the distributer right? how many studios ship back up 35mm prints to digital screens?

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 22 Jun 2009 12:06 #31744

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Hard to tell. However, our local depot is known to have a very small number of backup prints of many shows, available for emergencies that might crop up (delivery problems, reel issues, mechanical damage, etc). After the second week, when extra screens start dropping off, I suppose those prints would be available for booking.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 22 Jun 2009 16:55 #31748

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
we were given 2 prints of Hangover on week 2 so they knew what they had and were making more. This has almost never happened before IMHO. I just tried for Pelham and Proposal for week 2: no go. Mike

PS: I was saying that digital 2-d is unstoppable. 3-d is a craze and probably as long as it looks so good and works seemlessly with digital it will be with us a long time.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 22 Jun 2009 20:34 #31749

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
Mike wrote, in part:
The last quote I saw was 80-100K per screen.
Is that the total cost to put in a digital 3-D system or is it the incremental increase over installing a 2-D digital system. If it's the total, how much does 3-D add to the cost of a digital system?

Alan G

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 23 Jun 2009 12:29 #31753

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
good question: what does it cost? Digital cost is based on a few different things: do you need a new screen, room size, different projectors, 2k and now 4K etc. The costs that I have seen vary from 30+ thousand for just the digital projector to a high of 70 thousand for the digi projector and the screen. 3-D is completely different( and you add on to the base price of the digital projectors) and there are different 3-D sysytems: you can add 20-40 thousand for the 3-D add on. Do my numbers compute? Anyone? Anyone?

Last thing: you can have digital projection but not add on 3D but you cannot have 3-D without digital projection. 3D works off a digital projector only.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 07 Jul 2009 19:33 #31826

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I was told by an equipment delaer last week that the studios say that sending the movies on a hard drive is more expensive than putting on film. Huh?? Does not make any sense to me. Anyone else hear that too?

How much space does the average movie take on a hard drive? Can't these drives be re-used?

Do any of you small theaters (those that are seasonal first run at best); do you feel there will be a place in this industry for us? I am beginning to have my doubts.

Re:digital and 3-d all come down to cost vs. grossing 07 Jul 2009 19:35 #31827

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
STOP YOUR WORRYING.................PLENTY ,PLENTY of time before this is even an issue.YEARS AND YEAR SAWAY........
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction